banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
george duglas

While I know that Lightfoot's music genre cannot be categorized easily, have you encountered any funny, weird, or otherwise interesting anecdotes regarding how he is....."stocked" in your local emporium ?

I'll start with: back in LP days in "record stores"..... I once encountered what must have been a fan of Lightfoot, as well as proprietor of a record shop.

He had all records simply alphabetized (no categories), and he said he only stocked what HE liked ! I went to the "L" section after determining this unusual sales scheme from him; and found instead of the name Lightfoot, a drawing in sharpie on the white divider of a foot ending in a Lightbulb.

Everybody's a comdedian... but it was original.

While now it seems GL is usually in the "Pop/Rock" where I live in Colorado, I've encountered a more specific designation lately, as I am sure we all have - Adult Contemopary (I heard Lightfoot say this in concert, it seemed to amuse him to no end at the time).

Meanwhile, back at the Light"bulb" ranch...
It was a one-man shop - the guy I talked to in it said he owned, operated, and otherwise ran it all by himself.

It was one of those early 70's weird mix stores of records, incense, T-shirts,and odd things that collectively used to be called at least where I grew up as a "head shop".

You could say it was one-stop shopping for "hippie-stuff" in the 60's and 70's in Cleveland.

There was ONE water bed with a tie-dye bed-spread on it on display in the center of the "sales"-floor, as well. Took up 1/2 the free space! Albums were around the perimeter of two walls.

Make no mistake - i went in 'cause it said "......Record Store" on the sign outside. Notwithstanding naivete on my part, I asked him "what are all those boxes for with brass inlays in the wood?", and he just started laughing and joking about not being in Kansas any more !??

I don't want to know. But I picked out one with a good north arrow compass rosette of brass inlaid in the wood. He rang me up, along with my new copy of Don Quixote, and said "Definately cool album man, Lightfoot is gooooood music, dude!

Any good memories ( or otherwise ) of how you found Lightfoot stocked in Rock/Pop/Country/Easy Listening/Alternative/Male Vocal in your years of collecting each and every album ?

- geo Steve
george duglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

While I know that Lightfoot's music genre cannot be categorized easily, have you encountered any funny, weird, or otherwise interesting anecdotes regarding how he is....."stocked" in your local emporium ?

I'll start with: back in LP days in "record stores"..... I once encountered what must have been a fan of Lightfoot, as well as proprietor of a record shop.

He had all records simply alphabetized (no categories), and he said he only stocked what HE liked ! I went to the "L" section after determining this unusual sales scheme from him; and found instead of the name Lightfoot, a drawing in sharpie on the white divider of a foot ending in a Lightbulb.

Everybody's a comdedian... but it was original.

While now it seems GL is usually in the "Pop/Rock" where I live in Colorado, I've encountered a more specific designation lately, as I am sure we all have - Adult Contemopary (I heard Lightfoot say this in concert, it seemed to amuse him to no end at the time).

Meanwhile, back at the Light"bulb" ranch...
It was a one-man shop - the guy I talked to in it said he owned, operated, and otherwise ran it all by himself.

It was one of those early 70's weird mix stores of records, incense, T-shirts,and odd things that collectively used to be called at least where I grew up as a "head shop".

You could say it was one-stop shopping for "hippie-stuff" in the 60's and 70's in Cleveland.

There was ONE water bed with a tie-dye bed-spread on it on display in the center of the "sales"-floor, as well. Took up 1/2 the free space! Albums were around the perimeter of two walls.

Make no mistake - i went in 'cause it said "......Record Store" on the sign outside. Notwithstanding naivete on my part, I asked him "what are all those boxes for with brass inlays in the wood?", and he just started laughing and joking about not being in Kansas any more !??

I don't want to know. But I picked out one with a good north arrow compass rosette of brass inlaid in the wood. He rang me up, along with my new copy of Don Quixote, and said "Definately cool album man, Lightfoot is gooooood music, dude!

Any good memories ( or otherwise ) of how you found Lightfoot stocked in Rock/Pop/Country/Easy Listening/Alternative/Male Vocal in your years of collecting each and every album ?

- geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

This is very interesting, Geo,{Steve?] I find myself, that in most stores that they sell Cd's. It is sometimes hard to find Gordon Lightfoot. Even if you know he's in there somewhere's.

Sam The Record Man, was my favo(u)rite store. Today in Moncton , NB. What used to be Sam's is now Frank's Music. And fortunetly for me, Frank's son, now runs the store, and he is a major Gordon Lightfoot fan. No problems there to find any new Lightfoot stuff. Even Cd's I wont find anywhere's else like, 'Sunday Concert -PLUS-,' and others that come from, Germany, England, aso. Frank's got em.

I never go to the mall, without paying Frank's a visit. And I buy a Lightfoot CD, even if I already have all the songs on another one, as Im sure many Corfidians also do. :D

But the big chain stores, it is very hard to find Lightfoot. And the very young people that work there, sometimes look at you funny, when you say Gordon Lightfoot Cd's please?

I started in the 70's, and I still do it today, when I find the Lightfoot Cd's, I re-arrange all of them, and make sure they are on plain view, for everyone to see.

They are in the Light Sounds, Light Rock, Easy Listening, Rock, even in Country, and more. He should be in a category of his own, [CANADA'S BEST SINGER SONGWRITER OF ALL TIME.], :D on top of every others, in Big Bold Black Letter's. lol... Jesse.

[ July 03, 2006, 06:29: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Jesse Joe

This is very interesting, Geo,{Steve?] I find myself, that in most stores that they sell Cd's. It is sometimes hard to find Gordon Lightfoot. Even if you know he's in there somewhere's.

Sam The Record Man, was my favo(u)rite store. Today in Moncton , NB. What used to be Sam's is now Frank's Music. And fortunetly for me, Frank's son, now runs the store, and he is a major Gordon Lightfoot fan. No problems there to find any new Lightfoot stuff. Even Cd's I wont find anywhere's else like, 'Sunday Concert -PLUS-,' and others that come from, Germany, England, aso. Frank's got em.

I never go to the mall, without paying Frank's a visit. And I buy a Lightfoot CD, even if I already have all the songs on another one, as Im sure many Corfidians also do. :D

But the big chain stores, it is very hard to find Lightfoot. And the very young people that work there, sometimes look at you funny, when you say Gordon Lightfoot Cd's please?

I started in the 70's, and I still do it today, when I find the Lightfoot Cd's, I re-arrange all of them, and make sure they are on plain view, for everyone to see.

They are in the Light Sounds, Light Rock, Easy Listening, Rock, even in Country, and more. He should be in a category of his own, [CANADA'S BEST SINGER SONGWRITER OF ALL TIME.], :D on top of every others, in Big Bold Black Letter's. lol... Jesse.

[ July 03, 2006, 06:29: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

"I started in the 70's, and I still do it today, when I find the Lightfoot Cd's, I re-arrange all of them, and make sure they are on plain view, for everyone to see."

LOL - I do the same thing, also in the bookstore with favorite relatively unknown authors - put 'em up top on the shelf or on an end cap, pull the book face out instead of spine.

Half the time Gord's CDs are stuffed behind Linkin Park or someone, so I them in correct alphabetical order (it's the librarian in me <g&gt with Gord front and center. I think B&N lists him under a general "Pop" category; occasionally you might find him under "Folk".

Actually I *LIKE* the idea of a simple alphabetical arrangement by name of artist or group; it reduces the confusion for performers who cross over or record music in more than one genre.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

"I started in the 70's, and I still do it today, when I find the Lightfoot Cd's, I re-arrange all of them, and make sure they are on plain view, for everyone to see."

LOL - I do the same thing, also in the bookstore with favorite relatively unknown authors - put 'em up top on the shelf or on an end cap, pull the book face out instead of spine.

Half the time Gord's CDs are stuffed behind Linkin Park or someone, so I them in correct alphabetical order (it's the librarian in me <g&gt with Gord front and center. I think B&N lists him under a general "Pop" category; occasionally you might find him under "Folk".

Actually I *LIKE* the idea of a simple alphabetical arrangement by name of artist or group; it reduces the confusion for performers who cross over or record music in more than one genre.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

I had forgotten about the book stores Annie, Im with you on that one too. lol.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

I had forgotten about the book stores Annie, Im with you on that one too. lol.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
Borderstone

The big chain stores usually carry only "Complete Greatest","UA Collection","Gord's Goild 1 & 2","Classic Masters" and "Early Morning Rain".

Tower records is the best when it comes to his CD's though,from there I've gotten,"Harmony","Sundown","Old D's Rec." and "Cold On The Shoulder"

Places like a Best Buy,have some of those but mainly the comp.'s.

Tower or Sam G. puts Gordon in Pop/Rock.

Zia (a chain for used & new,either sticks him in country or folk.

One store I went to (now long gone) had him under "Adult Alternative"!! Youth! LOL!

On a slightly different note,any of you recall the group Pablo Cruise? At that Zia store,I discoverd the young clerks had put this under "C"! :D Apparently they think this is a solo act!

I told an older clerk,"Yeah..that's Tom's illegitimate Latino brother!" :D We both cracked up!