banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
JohnBellardJr

Just curious, did many of you communicate with each other before the internet??? In Toronto, it was probably much easier than for fans in other parts of the world. Right?
Can remember once a year getting a schedule
of Gord's concerts from his office. Other than that it was very hard to find other fans. Used to get "Goldmine" magazine which was for record collectors (is it still in existance?) and from there started writing to a few fans. In the "old days".

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
JohnBellardJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Aime_41

Just curious, did many of you communicate with each other before the internet??? In Toronto, it was probably much easier than for fans in other parts of the world. Right?
Can remember once a year getting a schedule
of Gord's concerts from his office. Other than that it was very hard to find other fans. Used to get "Goldmine" magazine which was for record collectors (is it still in existance?) and from there started writing to a few fans. In the "old days".

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Borderstone

Hi Aime! You know,I'd imagine before any Gordon sites came up,only fans that attended concerts and maybe close friends & family that shared the same intrest talked about him.

Other than that,the only place I heard Gordon talked about were oldies & light rock stations. Oldies,just playing 4 out of 6 of his "hits" and "light" stations playing 5 out of 6 + "Beautiful",which didn't make the top 40.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone on here to have talked before 1999 though. I think it's also safe to say without internet knowledge,"Harmony" would have sold even less than it did.

"Waiting For You" and "Painter" could have both benefited from us "Lightheads" spreading the word!

Been me,and good question Aime_41!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 08, 2005).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Suzi

"Goldmine" - I loved that magazine. It came out every two weeks and it seemed like it took two weeks to read everything listed. (The type was so small.)

I subscribed to it for decades. But, it seems like the internet provided more access to Lightfoot material and I therefore dropped my subscription a few years ago.

Yes, "Goldmine" still exists. I get offers to return every few months.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Hi Aime! You know,I'd imagine before any Gordon sites came up,only fans that attended concerts and maybe close friends & family that shared the same intrest talked about him.

Other than that,the only place I heard Gordon talked about were oldies & light rock stations. Oldies,just playing 4 out of 6 of his "hits" and "light" stations playing 5 out of 6 + "Beautiful",which didn't make the top 40.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone on here to have talked before 1999 though. I think it's also safe to say without internet knowledge,"Harmony" would have sold even less than it did.

"Waiting For You" and "Painter" could have both benefited from us "Lightheads" spreading the word!

Hi! And thanks for your feedback! Yes, I know we didn't know many other fans back then. I did write to a couple of people as a result of "Goldmine" magazine, however, and wonder where they are today.

------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Hi! And thanks for your feedback! Yes, I know we didn't know many other fans back then. I did write to a couple of people as a result of "Goldmine" magazine, however, and wonder where they are today.

------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Suzi:
"Goldmine" - I loved that magazine. It came out every two weeks and it seemed like it took two weeks to read everything listed. (The type was so small.)

I subscribed to it for decades. But, it seems like the internet provided more access to Lightfoot material and I therefore dropped my subscription a few years ago.

Suzi,

So happy to hear that the magazine still exists. Am going to have to pick up a copy of that. (Except now I'll have to use a
magnifiying glass to read it!!!! ) You are quite right about the size of the print!!
I have just been reminiscing, and found we had bought four tickets to see Gord in 1981, when the tickets were $8.50 a piece including tax. The four tickets means that we brought our kids to the concert.Wow! Seems like another lifetime.

------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Suzi:

Suzi,

So happy to hear that the magazine still exists. Am going to have to pick up a copy of that. (Except now I'll have to use a
magnifiying glass to read it!!!! ) You are quite right about the size of the print!!
I have just been reminiscing, and found we had bought four tickets to see Gord in 1981, when the tickets were $8.50 a piece including tax. The four tickets means that we brought our kids to the concert.Wow! Seems like another lifetime.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #9
charlene

I never knew any other fans - some relatives enjoyed his music but never attended any concerts. All thought I was slightly daft - even back in the 70's. Perhaps I was as I thought Lightfoot did his yearly Massey shows and went home. Then he came back again the following year...
lol
It never even dawned on me that he was touring around the world...even tho I have numerous old newspaper articles about him....
He was MY treasure and that's all I cared about. Lightfoot and Massey....who cared about anything else?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #10
charlene

I never knew any other fans - some relatives enjoyed his music but never attended any concerts. All thought I was slightly daft - even back in the 70's. Perhaps I was as I thought Lightfoot did his yearly Massey shows and went home. Then he came back again the following year...
lol
It never even dawned on me that he was touring around the world...even tho I have numerous old newspaper articles about him....
He was MY treasure and that's all I cared about. Lightfoot and Massey....who cared about anything else?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
lol

I read you. Also, that's why I used to wonder if our children (when they were very young) thought he was the only one who performed concerts. Gord's were the only concerts that we brought them to.

Also, was thinking that even though we are all fans, just think of all the diverse feelings and memories each of his songs and concerts evokes in each of us. How wonderful and awesome and mind boggling, all at the same time.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #12
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
lol

I read you. Also, that's why I used to wonder if our children (when they were very young) thought he was the only one who performed concerts. Gord's were the only concerts that we brought them to.

Also, was thinking that even though we are all fans, just think of all the diverse feelings and memories each of his songs and concerts evokes in each of us. How wonderful and awesome and mind boggling, all at the same time.

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Sentimental

My brother had some of his albums and that is where I first heard him. I never knew of any other fans. When I was 13, I tryed to get my best friend to love him as much as I did but she loved Neil Diamond more, ha.

He was more of a personal treasure to me. I was able to really sink into a very peaceful place when I had his music on. It didn't matter that he wasn't always on the radio. I would have liked to have known other fans back then though.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #14
Gord

I never talked to anyone else about Lightfoot when I was a child, when I did open my mouth about it I was scorned, shamed and ridiculed for even admitting I listened to his music as a 9 yr old!

Actually I never knew he did concerts til 1988 and that is when I first saw him at Massey, he just put out GG2 and he played just about every song off that CD including the opening track "If it Should Please You"

Fast forward almost 30 years, now when I have Lightfoot playing in the cab... people compliment me on my good taste

Go figure!

Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #15
Gord

I never talked to anyone else about Lightfoot when I was a child, when I did open my mouth about it I was scorned, shamed and ridiculed for even admitting I listened to his music as a 9 yr old!

Actually I never knew he did concerts til 1988 and that is when I first saw him at Massey, he just put out GG2 and he played just about every song off that CD including the opening track "If it Should Please You"

Fast forward almost 30 years, now when I have Lightfoot playing in the cab... people compliment me on my good taste

Go figure!

Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #16
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:
My brother had some of his albums and that is where I first heard him. I never knew of any other fans. When I was 13, I tryed to get my best friend to love him as much as I did but she loved Neil Diamond more, ha.

He was more of a personal treasure to me. I was able to really sink into a very peaceful place when I had his music on. It didn't matter that he wasn't always on the radio. I would have liked to have known other fans back then though.

Sentimental,

Your phrase of a "personal treasure" is a very beautiful thought. (And so true) It's like he can take can REALLY take one to that special, peaceful spot, quite unparalled by
any other singer/composer. (at least this has held true for me, also.)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #17
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:

Sentimental,

Your phrase of a "personal treasure" is a very beautiful thought. (And so true) It's like he can take can REALLY take one to that special, peaceful spot, quite unparalled by
any other singer/composer. (at least this has held true for me, also.)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #18
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

Go figure!

Gord,

Yes! You do have EXCELLENT taste!
I could guess that our kids never talked about Gord either, to anyone else. They were about 8 or 9 when we started bringing them to concerts. It did seem to foster a great interest in music in them, however. Our daughter is a Lightfoot fan, and our son still admires him. (Or he endulges me by seeming to. )
But, he has gone off in the entirely opposite direction and has just won best "metal guitarist" for three weeks in a row on the Guitar (now Musician's)War site.
(Oh, well, guess you one can't win them all.)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

Go figure!

Gord,

Yes! You do have EXCELLENT taste!
I could guess that our kids never talked about Gord either, to anyone else. They were about 8 or 9 when we started bringing them to concerts. It did seem to foster a great interest in music in them, however. Our daughter is a Lightfoot fan, and our son still admires him. (Or he endulges me by seeming to. )
But, he has gone off in the entirely opposite direction and has just won best "metal guitarist" for three weeks in a row on the Guitar (now Musician's)War site.
(Oh, well, guess you one can't win them all.)

------------------
Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

wow, i guess i'm not surprised but i can't be the only one who was surrounded by GL music and GL discussions growing up...to the point that it was taken for granted, didn't see him much or own much of his stuff, didn't really have to, must have been the same with Elton saturation in UK or Beach Boys in the US, no?

anyhow, i'll bet Kenyon and others (i realize many GL fans are not internet folks, or atleast not discussion board folks) who i believe grew up in the city, were smothered in Lightfoot (what a way to go, lol!)...the relatives, my folks and older bro (could constantly hear Gord coming 'through the cracks of his grammophone', lol) were either playing Gord, Anne Murray, the Guess Who or Don Messer music

the springtime always meant March break, Easter and GL at Massey...the internet, for one, made me aware that he did US tour dates, helped lots with messin' away at his chord progressions and exposed me to some great fan anecdotes, passion and wit...cheers
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #21
jj

wow, i guess i'm not surprised but i can't be the only one who was surrounded by GL music and GL discussions growing up...to the point that it was taken for granted, didn't see him much or own much of his stuff, didn't really have to, must have been the same with Elton saturation in UK or Beach Boys in the US, no?

anyhow, i'll bet Kenyon and others (i realize many GL fans are not internet folks, or atleast not discussion board folks) who i believe grew up in the city, were smothered in Lightfoot (what a way to go, lol!)...the relatives, my folks and older bro (could constantly hear Gord coming 'through the cracks of his grammophone', lol) were either playing Gord, Anne Murray, the Guess Who or Don Messer music

the springtime always meant March break, Easter and GL at Massey...the internet, for one, made me aware that he did US tour dates, helped lots with messin' away at his chord progressions and exposed me to some great fan anecdotes, passion and wit...cheers
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 AM   #22
SilverHeels

Living in the UK - England - Lightfoot became a rarity after the 70s. I used to listen/talk Gord with my girlfriend until she moved to the US. After that, I really believed I was the only Lightfoot fan left in the world - until I purchased a computer and the internet entered my life. One of the first things I did was 'search' 'Gordon Lightfoot' and there you all were. Some of my best friends are now Lightheads.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #23
JohnBellardJr

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
Living in the UK - England - Lightfoot became a rarity after the 70s. I used to listen/talk Gord with my girlfriend until she moved to the US. After that, I really believed I was the only Lightfoot fan left in the world - until I purchased a computer and the internet entered my life. One of the first things I did was 'search' 'Gordon Lightfoot' and there you all were. Some of my best friends are now Lightheads.

Ranking up there in our "blessings", besides Gord, would have to be the internet.
If we all had our own thoughts and memories of him, his songs, and what they have brought to our lives, we still could not share them, as we do, without the internet. (And I say this even though I am severely "computer
challanged!!!"

------------------
'Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all.'- GL
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:

Ranking up there in our "blessings", besides Gord, would have to be the internet.
If we all had our own thoughts and memories of him, his songs, and what they have brought to our lives, we still could not share them, as we do, without the internet. (And I say this even though I am severely "computer
challanged!!!"

------------------
'Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all.'- GL
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #25
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by jj:

WOW! is the correct word! But, I say it for a different reason than you just did. I am
jealous. Really. You grew up in Toronto? At least Ontario. Eh? I mean, right? Oh-h-h-h,
I remember day dreaming of going to see him at Massey Hall. (Even memorized the streets downtown and all...just for when I ever got there....which I never have, yet.) But, we do have Leo Kottke. I know some of you know of and have heard him.

I guess we take so many things for granted when we grow up WITH them.

Oh and you mentioned the Beach Boys. Oh yes!!
They were the first group that my (future)
husband and I ever went to see together. (And we've been together ever since........
)

P.S. - Who is (was) Don Messer??? We had a landlord by that name, but am quite sure that he couldn't sing!!

------------------