banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Yuri

Default What Should Gordon Be Writing About Today?

Did we miss this, or do I just not see it here on Corfid? (Sorry if it's a duplicate)
More birthday wishes & responses to the question can be found at the CBC link below.

What Should Gordon Lightfoot Be Writing About Today?
Posted by Radio 2 Morning on November 14, 2008 at 08:20 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/r2morning/2...ot_b.html#more

Gordon Lightfoot is Canada's Troubadour. He's used song form to document the events that have shaped our lives, and others that might have been long forgotten, were it not for him. There's Canadian Railroad Trilogy, documenting the rails, the economy and the (ok, sometimes fragile) political agreement that links us together. Black Day in July stands tall as one of the only songs to mark the Detroit race riots of 1967. While the rest of Canada was frolicking at Expo in Montreal, Gord showed us there were other things to think about. There's Ballad of Yarmouth Castle, about the disastrous cruise ship fire in 1965 that took 90 lives, and, always, the song that sails on and on,- The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Gordon Lightfoot turns 70 today (born November 17, 1938). His last album came 4 years ago, 2004's Harmony. It was an album that sprang from events much closer to home: In 2002, Lightfoot suffered an abdominal hemmorhage, fell into a coma, and very nearly died. The experience had a clarifying effect, as I'm told it usually does. When he came through, his priorities were very clear: he wanted to make more music.
So, on his 70th birthday, we're asking you to ask him to get back to what he does best...
The past few years have given us, for better or for worse, so, so, so many things a writer like him could put into song. Which should he choose? The financial crisis, 9/11, Enron? What about an oil song - oil patch, oil princes, oil prices...
Or he could just go to the heart of the matter and record a whole album of songs about political leaders. One set for America - Bush, Gore, Palin, Obama... and the other back home: Stephen Harper, Mike Harris or Gordon Campbell, and a trilogy for Chretien: one for his fight with Paul Martin, one for the time Aline clobbered a burglar with a statue, and the wrap up about the time he strangled a protester in the floppy hemp hat.
And that's just the beginning.
What do you think? Tell us here. We'll bundle up the suggestions at the end of the week and send them on to the man in question as a slightly late birthday gift, with our love, our encouragement and our wildest hopes to see our names on the album credits a few years from now.
What should Gordon LIghtfoot be writing about today?
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: What Should Gordon Be Writing About Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
When he came through, his priorities were very clear: he wanted to make more music.
I haven't seen this, Yuri...great post and potential thread!

but unless I'm way off, 2 comments based on prior readings/interviews:

- I understood Gordon strayed away from topical songs long ago

- I understood his priorities were very clear that he wanted to devote his time to family, performing live and other priorities and that writing was too demanding and required seclusion...now that he was contract obligation free, he was truly free to continue making up for lost time

still a fun thread to contemplate...and so far, I have no suggestions
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

My guess is that we'll be very lucky if we hear any "new" songs and if we ever get a "new" CD I suspect it will be a "live" format.

But just as an exercise I would beg him to stay away from any of the topics suggested by the author(s), topical songs are cute for a week, if it doesn't gore your ox, but very quickly lose their luster. I suspect the canon may be complete.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
fezo

I suspect the canon is complete as well though I always hate to admit it.

I would think that dealing with a topic in a broad matter works better than getting too specific - say Circle of Steel as opposed to Black Day in July (though I still think Black Day in July works now if you'd just lose the drums). An even broader example would be Don Quixote.

This will have me thinking for a while...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
charlene

comments at the site:

Comments
I think Gordon would do a great job on the topic of rich old men sending poor young men off to fight and die for oil.

Possible title ?

"Rich man's war...poor man's battle."

Posted by: John Davies | November 17, 2008 06:58 AM

Happy Birthday Gordon!!
I would love to hear him do another ballad such as Winter's Night because I'm occasionally very homesick for Canada over here in Switzerland. I miss the St. Lawrence and the Gatineau hills even if there are alps here. Canada will always be home and Lightfoot's music is always entwined with it. Is it true that the Railroad Trilogy was going to be considered as he National Anthem at one time? I'm sure I heard that.
MJ in Suisse

Posted by: Mary Jane Kelly | November 17, 2008 09:51 AM

hi tom of the morning of snow! just heard your instructions, so i re-post here. this comment is on the main radio2 blog.

to our cherished mr lightfoot,

democracy availing itself in the united states of america with president
-elect barack obama. through hope, love, faith, laughter and confidence. for these are our infinite ways of questing. the human souls desire knows no boundaries of flesh colours.

with warmth of spirit,
cynthia and family

nb he does have a darn cute, endearing smile that is contagious. ... sing of smiles ! contagious ones. yes. smiles that are contagious. now, that's pretty perfect. -c

nbb happy birthday gordon, onward and upward !

Posted by: cynthia and family | November 17, 2008 10:23 AM

Things 70 year old Gordon Lightfoot should write about:

1. Liver spots, wrinkled skin and hair loss.
2. Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, over and over.
3. Cataracts and macular degeneration.
4. Loss of hearing.
5. Clinging to your driver's license when you're long past being able to drive well.
6. Kids today have no respect.
7. Dementia and Alzheimer's.
8. Falling and breaking a hip
9. Bathtubs with a door on the side.
10. I've fallen and I can't get up.
11. What was number 1 again?

Posted by: Bill Smith | November 17, 2008 10:45 AM

Sorry I am so late with this post. Out here in the country, the wireless doesn't always work!

Anyway, years ago Lightfoot wrote "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy", which I think is very appropriate today, with its subtle inferences about the impact of our clearing the land etc. It's always been one of my favourites. If you can't play it today, perhaps tomorrow. Lightfoot's Environmental Commentary.

Thanks,

Margaret Blank

Posted by: Marg in Mirror, AB | November 17, 2008 11:55 AM

I'd love to see Gordon hammer out another Canadian tale, something of the epic proportion and feeling of the Railway Trilogy. Something to give us back a sense of ourselves, of who we are struggling to be, and can still be as a nation.

Stan is gone. His "Rise Again" is a song for these times, certainly one Americans need to hear. Gord speaks of Canada mostly in poetic terms, but in the Edmund Fitzgerald and Black Day in July, he turned his thoughts to powerful human struggles.

He can do it again.

Posted by: Helen Walter | November 17, 2008 12:25 PM

Few of us have gone through the wide swings of personal health that Gordon has. Avid outdoors men, sailor,canoeist, smoker, drinker, near death expereince, re-built health and longevity. Perhaps he could write about the trials and tribulations and how it shaped his world view, his enthusiasm for life. I observed his life through all of the above, through his songs and performances. I believe he has some powerful insight into our health and our lives that would come out wonderfully in song.

Posted by: Joe Hewitt | November 17, 2008 12:31 PM

for Joe Hewitt,

What you write of is the same as I, in my earlier comment for Mr Lightfoot.
In 1981 a friend with cancer traveled to be part of a workshop with Norman Cousins author, editor of Saturday Review. [and much more]
"Anatomy of an Illness: As Perceived by the Patient" a book I have referred to for decades now. as recently as november 2007, I traveled to UCLA Brain Institute on the campus of UCLA to learn more, more and more, to bring forward longevity for a musician stricken with cancer. This is the foundation to this day of Norman Cousins Center: "purpose, determination, love, hope, faith, will to live and festivity. Mr Hewitt, your choice of words touched me deeply for the word "longevity" was in daily use as the musician navigated the mountains, swamps and quicksand of devious cancer. For myself, I am an avid "ocean sailor, re-built my health from a near- death" experience in 1993. i echo your desire and request of Gordon to have lyrics to such a song of "longevity"... I do not know it it is "blog" "comment" "post" correctness with CBC radio2, perhaps we could write lyrics, tossling through on this comment post ... ... an idea. No I do not, have not, ever written music, nor am i a musician. I placed this forward for "democracy" after imperialist rule by W. and Cheney. and you are absolutely correct; Gordon,
writing of such "would come out wonderfully in song".

thank you,
Cynthia

n.b. this is from the UCLA site:

"The Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology is dedicated to carrying on in the tradition of its founder, Norman Cousins (1915-1990). Norman Cousins came to UCLA in 1978 at the invitation of UCLA School of Medicine’s Dean Sherman Mellinkoff to join the faculty as Adjunct Professor of Medical Humanities."

'What brought him to UCLA was the quest for proof that a patient’s psychological approach to illness could have an effect on biological states and health. He was particularly interested in the impact of positive emotions and attitudes, such as purpose, determination, love, hope, faith, will to live and festivity.

If the brain played an active role in the healing process, might it be consciously directed for that purpose? What would the implications of such findings be on the treatment of serious illness? Cousins came to believe that a good vehicle for making such discoveries was the emerging field of Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI).'

Posted by: Cynthia | November 17, 2008 01:49 PM

What should Gordon Lightfoot be writing about today?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

This man's work is done and he's paid his dues.
The days for him going back and chaining himself to a desk are in the past. He's talked about this in public, about how it's taken it's toll on his personal life and presently he's enjoying himself touring, greeting his fans and spending time with his family.

There's still a hope of course from many os us long term fans that some of the material he wrote that never made onto a recording might find it's way in there, especially with the advanced technology we have these days.

Ih his song "A Painter Passing Through," the last verse opens up with the opening line:
"Now that I am old, let me rest a spell,"
Then it ends with:
"If you want to my secret don't come runnin' after me,
For I am just a painter passing through in history.

Posted by: Ron Jones | November 17, 2008 02:18 PM

Happy Birthday Gordon.
I saw Gordon Lightfoot with my husband so many years ago. My husband and I were dating and Gordon was just starting out. We saw him in a small town on a small stage and we had the incredible good fortune to talk with him afterwards. We have followed his career and attended many concerts at Massey Hall. We always take his cd's on a road trip, because Gordon Lightfoot is the one artist we both can agree on.
What to write about in all that is going on in this world today? Love! Peace!

Posted by: Kathy | November 17, 2008 02:32 PM

Happy Birthday, Gordon. How about another song similar to Leonard's line: "democracy is coming to the USA". Are we now able to have some hope for the world?

Posted by: Connie | November 17, 2008 02:39 PM

Gordon,

Happy birthday. The chords and lyrics of your music continue to ring in my head every day and I have been listening to your music for over 35 years.

Since we live more and more in our heads (or cyber space), I would hope you would continue to write about our connection to nature and the land. Our biggest challenges and for our children will be to learn to live in balance with what nature can sustain. Thank you for your gift and craft of music. Happy Birthday.

Posted by: Barry Adams | November 17, 2008 03:11 PM

Gordon Lightfoot should be writing and singing today about inner peace and fulfillment. It took a lifetime to find it in his life as well as in most of ours. His music is the finest of poetry. He is one of the greatest artists of all time. I love you Gordon and have a very happy birthday!

Posted by: Ivy | November 17, 2008 07:47 PM

What books do you and your girlfriend agree on?
She liked Vampire Romance, I read quantum Theory but
Farley Mowat was the author my sweetheart and I had in common.
I heard him interviewed on radio 1;
and he's still such a hoot.
Gordon should write 2 songs about him, a song for his cause and a comical song.
But he would have to have Tanya Tagaq at his side.
Names of the songs:
The Seige of the Farley Mowat,
The Man Who wouldn't Be.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
charlene

more comments at the site:
Gord's music is entwined in our National Heritage. He has nothing more to prove. His talent and longevity is a true gift to all Canadians. He should write whenever and whatever he feels like and we would be blessed with whatever music and lyrics that he feels inspired to create. I just hope that his health remains as good as possible and that I can be fortunate enough to see him and his incredible live performance at least one more time. I have seen him at the National Arts Centre here in the Nations Capital on 5 or 6 occasions and every time his performance was wonderful. You do whatever pleases you Gord.

Posted by: bryan wold | November 18, 2008 04:00 AM

I think Gordon can write on any topic brilliantly, but I would like to hear his take on the apology given to our Aboriginal Peoples by the Canadian Government and what that might mean as a way of moving the country forward by all involved.

Posted by: Rob Wolf | November 18, 2008 12:27 PM

Given the state of the economy today, how about asking Mr. Lightfoot to sing 'The Wreck of the Cantor Fitzgerald'?

Happy B'day Mr. Lightfoot!

Posted by: doug millar | November 18, 2008 07:19 PM

"The Wreck of the Stephane Dion"?

Posted by: Mark | November 18, 2008 08:42 PM

At 70, Lightfoot should be writing about death, as Strauss did in "Tod und Verklärung" and as Mahler did in "Kindertotenlieder."

Posted by: Phil | November 18, 2008 08:51 PM

I think our troubadour on matters of true blue north historic and folkloric import, Mr. Lightfoot should address the 'Three Star Canadian Mystery Selection' in a Trilogy of song.

(i) The theft of the apostrophe from Tim Hortons

(ii) The loss of the hockey 'sweater' to 'jersey'

(iii) Louis Riel: Hero? Traitor? Poet? Patriot? Heretic? Menace? Martyr? Madman? Renaissance Man Rebel? (Eat your heart out Rasputin)

Keep settin'em up and knockin'em down, Gordo.

Grant Boyd, Jr.

el Rancho Untaméd
Val-des-Monts, QC

Posted by: Grant Boyd, Jr. | November 18, 2008 10:24 PM

Whatever he wants. He need not prove anything, as some have written, but my guess is that the composer's home fires are still burning. Things affect him. There will always be a songwriter, not just a song inside, whether or not he decides to go public with his recent perceptions and let them echo in wood and steel. I'm glad he is enjoying his tours still. So are we. My 84 year-old Dad called excitedly last week offering an early birthday present to me. Lightfoot tickets for one of his two concerts in Vancouver this coming April. He has always resonated with topics and the natural surroundings that interest and inspire him. But this is a great birthday question, and he is generous enough to have a laugh, or let the twinkle in his eye warm a heart that is ever yearning and observant, then put it into song. What will happen? Let's just listen and nod. Thank you, Gord. Thank you, Tom.

Posted by: Graham Stokes | November 19, 2008 11:23 AM

Thank you to Lightfoot for helping Canadians from across this great country to relate to each other through song and story. Appreciating our history and making our own culture. We as Canadians know we are different from our American neighbors, and not just because we are so polite as our European visitors have remarked. In these times of national concerns with our involvement in Afghanistan affairs. I believe it is an important time in both Canadian history and an opportunity to further identify who we are as Canadians. Canadian soldiers have been respected peace keepers in other countries for many decades. It is important that everyone understand why we would want our troops to be involved in a conflict. Our involvement is because we respect the rights and freedoms of every Canadian and extend the defense of these rights to every human being in the world. The Canadian approach to defending rights and freedom is also very different than the force used by other nations. We are respected around the world for our respectful generosity, giving of ourselves to help others. This is part of our identity and Canadian heritage that gets little attention within our own country. I feel this would be an outstanding subject for Mr. Lightfoot to help further define our culture.

Attached is an article from an Australian who eloquently defines a Canadian.
"An Australian Definition of a Canadian

In case anyone asks you who a Canadian is . . .

You probably missed it in the local news, but there was a report that someone in Pakistan had advertised in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed a Canadian - any Canadian.

An Australian dentist wrote the following editorial to help define what a Canadian is, so they would know one when they found one.

A Canadian can be English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek. A Canadian can be Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, Arab, Pakistani, or Afghan.

A Canadian may also be a Cree, Métis, Mohawk, Blackfoot, Sioux, or one of the many other tribes known as native Canadians. A Canadian's religious beliefs range from Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, or none. In fact, there are more Muslims in Canada than in Afghanistan. The key difference is that in Canada they are free to worship as each of them chooses. Whether they have a religion or no religion, each Canadian ultimately answers only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

A Canadian lives in one of the most prosperous lands in the history of the world. The root of that prosperity can be found in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which recognize the right of each person to life, liberty and security.
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression,
c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
d) freedom of association.

A Canadian is generous and Canadians have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need, never asking a thing in return. Canadians welcome the best of everything, the best products, the best books, the best music, the best food, the best services, and the best minds.

But they also welcome the least - the oppressed, the outcast, and the rejected.

These are the people who built Canada. You can try to kill a Canadian if you must as other bloodthirsty tyrants in the world have tried but in doing so you could just be killing a relative or a neighbour. This is because Canadians are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, can be a Canadian."

Posted by: Terry | November 19, 2008 12:14 PM

I listened to your broadcast this morning while I was driving my kids to school and heard your entreaty to send in song ideas for the Gordster when my son piped up from the back.

"Maybe that guy should write about The Highway of Heroes." We had just spent the better part of the evening before working on project on the self-same subject for
school and I couldn't help but think that that was just a fine idea. Gord has some experience weaving footnotes of our history into some fairly compelling songs, non? We could use a song that takes an unflinching look at the war of Afghanistan in all of its moral complexities. From the mouths of babes.....
Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
charlene

I think Gordon should, in his way, reflect on the lost of small-town hometowns to the monotonous box store sprawl. Gordan should have a particular sore from this devastation because his hometown, Orillia, is currently turning farm fields and forest and wetland to scraped earth and tarmac. But then... once again Gordon observed this decades before it was part of our mainstream consciousness. He depicts the dingy, isolating cold of the city in 'Home from the Forest'.

Posted by: Jennifer Hoare | November 19, 2008 08:09 PM

I'll be 60 in December, so I remember Gordon Lightfoot as being really big. I think that he might consider writing about why people talk about him more than they play his music.

I listen to the show every morning from Detroit(yes, that Detroit), and like it a lot,but it seems to me that a number of songs or artists get played fairly regularly. Are you planning to expand your playlist?
Well, best of luck. Great hat in your picture. I LOVE Molly Johnson's voice.

George Killoran

Posted by: George Killoran | November 20, 2008 06:51 AM

Tom
Here's what I think about what Mr. Lightfoot should be writing/singing about:
It is the task of a child to trip through life in oblivion and wide eyed wonder.
An adolescent's job is to begin the journey of learning.
A teenagers unfortunate role is to be angry .. and sad.
A young adult should be the one to sound the alarms and keep us on track.
A mature adult's role is sadly cynicism and reality.
Midle age is for longing looks back to younger days.
But it's the elder statesman's job to always bring us hope and optimism - to say "I have witnessed much and still have look forward with that same wide eyed wonder I began with ...
And we all must continue to sing about love!

Posted by: Liz McNally | November 20, 2008 10:00 AM

terry, i have tender tears rolling down my chapped wind burnt cheeks from your eloquent thoughts. i have not read and been touched as i just have by your voice and the dentist's voice, these past weeks.

"This is because Canadians are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, can be a Canadian."

terry, i finally have the words of what touched my spirit in 1996 when i first [ i hail from new mexico ] came to reside in alberta, then british columbia. your sharing the words of the australian dentist are my experience.

i am immensely grateful to your comment and insights and would take columns of this post to respond, but alas not a possibility. i am intrigued though [why and how i came back to the post just now, to comment]
that the question posed for joni mitchell's birthday; the response was more fluid in volume. gordon lightfoot's is of a lesser, although the question asked may not be within the humbleness and nobleness of canadian spirit and community to suggest what another, human should consider to actively participate in.

terry you are a gift this day. and it is my truth of my life lived in the great country called canada. for when i resided in the usa, my birth place, i was never considered accomplished, enough. even though i employed 60 fantastic people, bequeathed to my state for children in dire need long term, voluntarily put forward a co-op for struggling artists to live and work. just getting the zoning in place was near a nightmare level, plus the ability of patience of the slow process. luckily i had both.
i am not going to continue the list, for it is not my purpose, but what i want each and every one of you canadians to know with CONVICTION, is that as i have been a part of your community i was honoured to the highest for being a full time mum. and no; canadians NEVER asked "what i did?". that coup de grace all american question.

and if you are just not quite there yet with conviction, i tell you i have resided in western europe, scandinavia and central america. canada is of nurturing spirit like no where else on this planet. please know you are blessed by your birthright.

best and gentlest,
cynthia

Posted by: cynthia | November 20, 2008 12:53 PM

Tom, I'm thrilled that you have chosen this incredibly important Canadian icon as a subject for your blog! Gordon Lightfoot was a comforting sound of Canada as I grew up in NZ; whenever I was homesick I would pull out "Gord's Gold" for a quick fix!
Last month my wonderful boyfriend took me to the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills, CA, to see Gord for my birthday. I only cried 3 times! Gord, if you're reading this, I am NOT the woman who shouted "You're awesome and I love you!", but I AM the one who shouted "Come to Vancouver!!!"; and you listened! We'll be in the 12th row when you play here in April!
Gord, the songs that I love most are those that represent Canada, and those that touch my heart as they tell tales of lost love or homesickness. These are themes that almost anyone can relate to!
In this day and age so many people are dislocated from their loved ones, whether by travel or family reconfigurations; I would love it if you wrote about the struggles and successes of split families or blended families. At the Canyon Club when you mentioned your "first old lady" and your "second old lady" it really brought home the fact that we all have a past, and even if our initial attempts at happiness didn't succeed, they helped to make us who we are! And I'm happy with my life (especially since you're coming to town! You're AWESOME and I love you!!)!
Thanks for listening! Shan

Posted by: Shan | November 20, 2008 01:05 PM

Hi Mr.Tom, Last night I had a thought about a great artist for parents & kids to agree on: Buck 65! I can't vouch for this, except to say that "the kids these days" are naturally inclined towards hip hop. It is the pop music of today, and so they are very capable of listening to it. This his much more difficult for most parents, though, not least of all because the subject matter is often not of interest. Buck 65, however, should inspire interest in any intelligent soul who enjoys good stories and impressive word-play! So..what do you think? Maybe you should play some Buck 65 on your show, and see what people think!

Posted by: marke | November 21, 2008 10:07 AM

Happy Birthday Gordon Lightfoot! In my opinion Gordon has well earned the right to compose whatever he pleases! I have especially enjoyed Gordon’s description of the Canadian landscape. If I were to suggest a theme for a song it would be the tumultuous times we live in; the great economical and political changes we are experiencing in North America contrasted to the unwavering beautiful terrain of Canada.
I had the opportunity of meeting you Gordon some thirty years ago. You were playing in Vancouver and I called The Okanogan Valley my home. A mutual friend, a canoe buddy of yours, introduced a small group of his friends to you back stage. Time flies by in a blink of an eye. I look back at the Canadian Pacific North West as a place where my soul was at home. Thank you Gordon for entertaining us all with your lyrics that have dipped into your soulful heart and the landscape of Canada, from the skyline of Toronto, with the chinook wind blowing us through to the wild majestic mountains that stood alone against the sun. Do what gives you happiness.

All the best,
Nancy Cullen

Posted by: Nancy Cullen | November 21, 2008 06:58 PM

Gordon Lightfoot has not only framed the Canadian experience in his lyrics, but I think he has been a significant influence in defining what it means to be Canadian and has succeeded in getting that message out as he performed his wonderful music around the world. If however, there is yet a stone unturned, it may to get the rest of the world to accept once and for all, the name of that hat is toque.
Thank you Gordon, and happy birthday.

Posted by: Ros Bangham | November 22, 2008 05:48 PM

Gordon Lightfoot should, if he is so inclined, write about the natural beauty of Canada, possibly the National Parks, closer to home, Killarney Provincial Park where the Group of Seven painted in the last century.
Happy Birthday, Gordon Lightfoot

Posted by: Rob Zettler | November 28, 2008 10:04 AM
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post

What should Gordon Lightfoot be writing about today?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

This man's work is done and he's paid his dues.
The days for him going back and chaining himself to a desk are in the past. He's talked about this in public, about how it's taken it's toll on his personal life and presently he's enjoying himself touring, greeting his fans and spending time with his family.

There's still a hope of course from many os us long term fans that some of the material he wrote that never made onto a recording might find it's way in there, especially with the advanced technology we have these days.

Ih his song "A Painter Passing Through," the last verse opens up with the opening line:
"Now that I am old, let me rest a spell,"
Then it ends with:
"If you want to my secret don't come runnin' after me,
For I am just a painter passing through in history.

Posted by: Ron Jones | November 17, 2008 02:18 PM
Is this the same Ron Jones as lighthead2toe ? Whether it is or not, I totally agree.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
fezo

Quote:
comments at the site:

Comments
I think Gordon would do a great job on the topic of rich old men sending poor young men off to fight and die for oil.

Possible title ?

"Rich man's war...poor man's battle."
This first one caught my attention if only because he, of course wrote this very song over 35 years ago. "The song of the war are as old as the hills.".... The Patriot's Dream. All these years later I can still play it from memory.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
timetraveler

Yes, it would be greatto have him put out another album some day, but only if he chooses, as well as it being done at his own pace, especially if we would like to see a quality product.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Jesse Joe

Gordon should write about timetraveler's quilt ! Just kidding tt.

I think if he feels like writing, then he should write about whatever he wants too.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 11-29-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: writing only has one 't' ! lol !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
geodeticman.5

This is one of the most everwhelming threads I have ever read in here. On a trivial note, but one that rings similar to me in a much, much smaller way, is that I should be processing lyrics quizzers right now (a game thread in corfid that requires daily enjoyable processing for those not familiar with it), and I feel guilty for spending the over an hour in here reading this post. There is, perhaps a message in that - for me alone.

On a much grander scale, should not Gordon , as so many above have suggested, do whatever his last years bring him comfort, enjoyment, and inner peace, and not what he thinks he should be doing, per his fans wishes ? He knows he owes, in part, his professional success to his fans - and certainly to his own talent, but wherein lies the dividing line that guides him as to his no-doubt multi-vectored tugs toward a multitude of 'what he should be doing' lines of thought. I'll not preach to the choir, - I know all of you folks know this and much more than I, but I can't help but add my two-bits, as this has occurred to me.

I must agree with our jj, jim, above, on both counts - Thank you, Yuri, for posting this, and also, as jj said wisely, as Mr. Lightfoot himself has said that he wishes to spend his time with family, and (reportedly) he is done with topical songs. That does not mean , as jj I am sure would agree, and I believe did say, that it is still fun to engage in and thought -provoking to ponder what should, no, - would we want him to write about - so different...as to: what in this world of immediacy around us in North America warrants the immense musical chronicling we know Lighfoot is uniquely capable of in his way, and so legendary in doing.... and of the world ?

Many above, including Char commented on notably war in Irag right now as a strong candidate for chronicling, A Rich man's war at the expense of young men's lives ? Topical, but what magficent and tragic fodder to chronicle for what appears to be an enigma that seemingly no-one can figure out right now, all things considered.

It would seem we almost look to Gordon as an Oracle in our near-reverance as a 'tell it like it is, Gordon ! - love for him. As an artist and as a person who can 'tell the story brilliantly in melody and word', but cannot solve these problems, only chronicle them, as I know many of you have said as well. Do we look to him for more than that ? Do we look to him as an Oracle, a sort of moral compass and temporal lexicon in his words of song ? Those are heavy chains to perhaps unintentionally weigh him down with again.

He has spent over 300 songs seemingly casting, I believe, different chains of origin off of himself in such a recurring, prolific metaphor (chains)he uses, along with ghosts, and all his familiar themes. However I sincerely doubt a born artist and genius of that calibre can rest idly in his inner ticking metronome of melody, almost certainly some tunes will come to him; perhaps as he sits with a young one on his lap, another 'Fine as Fine Can Be' will come to him, who knows. It does seem clear his family priorities are not only clearly stated, but are admirable. Can you keep a good man down ? We will see. But is family time keeping a good man down in his life's 'work' and profession ? I think not. Rest, if you wish, our old friend, Gordon. It is your due.

For of all of who subscribe to the common connotation of 'professional' - which Gordon cerrainly is a consummate example of, it is interesting to note that, per my understanding and having been told by unquestionably 'professionals - clergy, University Professors, etc, the original former connotation as well in the post-WWII years of a professional was one who engaged literally in professing - standing at a podium or diaz, and 'professing'/preaching/and teaching of a professor, a Minister, and included in the fold originally I am told were Doctors and lawyers. Now the connotation per most Human Resources (Personnel) departments as a de facto definition is someone who is required to have a certain amount of education - typically batchelor's degree or higher - to be able to engage in a 'learned' profession.

A much broader definition that now would include hundreds of avocations, to be sure. But perhaps among the noblest of all would be the inspiring, thought provoking, and picture-painting Troubadour such as Gordon, as no one else that I can picture quite equal to. Certainly he falls within the original terms of the rather narrow scope of old; of whom would be called Professional - Gordon certainly seems to exemplify to me that which we hold dear in all generations of connotation of professional. Gordon Lightfoot - the consummate professional, who indeed professes, his diaz being the guitar and microphone.

And yet why I mention this is that Gordon is in virtually all our minds a consummate professional. Former professionals by the old connotation was also one looked to for guidance and direction, certainly expertise. In his own way - Gordon has certainly done that. Did he mean to ? I would propose not, as he has so often said he has meant to be a painter moving through the underground, a chronicler of the world around us, not one to solve or propose change, except perhaps notably in spirit - to infuse us with the spirit of, and state of being of one who is full of hope, and promise for the future - as he so often has sung of both sides of. Does he mean to 'profess' to us ? I don't think so, I am not sure. I think not. I would submit those are heavy chains he has spent a lifetime casting off for other reasons as I mentioned.

I have the impression, as much as it saddens me, too..... that he has chosen to step over the rubicon line of perhaps, for all the right reasons, of no return....he has committed to family, and still some very enjoyable enrichment touring for him in his twilight years, and we all I know are respectful of that. He certainly has earned it, and by no means is he prematurely stepping away - not down, from his once all-consuming profession of endlessly writing songs, perfecting... was that his endless wire ?

If I could have my dream of what he would write more of - it would be his love of the wilderness.

Once again I say - Is family time keeping a good man down in his life's 'work' and profession ? I think not. Rest, if you wish, our old friend, Gordon. It is your due.

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 11-29-2008 at 06:28 PM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
Borderstone

I feel none of us,even though we are fans,are in no postion to tell him what to write,compose or record about.

If he feels topical is the direction he wants to go,he will. I see him staying with more the kind of material that's simple & easy to listen too. If he wanted to be topical,I think he'd have done that on "Harmony".
Old 11-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
RM

Well, if he ever decided to give it a go, I have a time saving idea. Using the melody from "Black Day In July", and wrapping his mind and lyrics around the unbelievable human behavior displayed on 'Black Friday' yesterday, he could compose a tune called "Black Friday In November". The rest of the album could be Christmas standards. I would love to hear his interpretation of "Jingle Bells".

Whaddaya think ?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
charlene

Good idea Ron.
that horrendous display of human behaviour could very well be adapted into the Black Day In July melody..and Gord could certainly do it with the finesse he showed in the original..
Would it be a 'toe-tapper' version of Jingle Bells?

He sings Christmas carols at church every year..
on a radio spot last december he said:
his fave XMAS carol-Silent Night..by a choir.
Barry Keane then said "The Christmas Song" by Mel Torme and Gord said that was a song, not a carol..
lol
Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
RM

Quote:
Barry Keane then said "The Christmas Song" by Mel Torme and Gord said that was a song, not a carol..
lol
Yep, Lightfoot is his own man.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
Yuri

I'm still holding on to my bell bottom bluejeans, platform shoes and tie-dyed T-shirt in hopes the '60s return. I like Gord's old ballads of lost loves, lonesome travels and songs of the land.......but I guess he's been there and done that...
Peace man!
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #18
Peter Bro10

I for one would have to guess that Gord is still writing... maybe not for publication and such, but just for his own enjoyment. I would find it hard to believe that this man ever really stops.
As for what he would write? My hunch is children's stories, more in the vein of The Ponyman. Story, poem or song, or a combination of those.
Those are just my thoughts...

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Gordon should write about timetraveler's quilt ! Just kidding tt.

I think if he feels like writing, then he should write about whatever he wants too.
Yeah, it might be something interesting. You never know.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #20
RM

Quote:
He sings Christmas carols at church every year..
on a radio spot last december he said:
his fave XMAS carol-Silent Night..by a choir.
lol
Seeking advice.......

I think I understand the distinction that Lightfoot was drawing between 'carol' and 'song'. Now, let's say a group of carolers pass by this year and offer up "Hark ! The Herald Angels", "Oh Come All Ye Faithful", and "Silent Night". They wrap it up with "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (which I consider a song). Would I be out of line to ask "Why are you carolers singing a song ?"

Troubled in Tucson
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
charlene

nope - you'd be right 'in line' ...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
Auburn Annie

Default Re: Sally Forth Comic 4/28/10

Too funny - but I bet they can all hum along...
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
charlene

and right after the Pres.said he'd allow more oil rigs in the Gulf despite saying he wouldn't when he was campaigning for the job..
there's so many great topics to write songs about..
I got this yesterday:

================================================== ================
C L U B T O P 5
Live from Coffee Cat in Santa Barbara, CA!
================================================== ================

April 28, 2010

NOTE FROM CHRIS:

Just weeks after President Obama unveiled plans
for expanding offshore oil and gas drilling, the
Coast Guard is scrambling to keep a huge slick
in the Gulf of Mexico from reaching the shoreline.

TopFive to the rescue!!

The Top 15 Novel Ideas for Stopping an Oil Slick

15> Post "Free Oil!" ad on Craigslist; it'll be gone in a day.

14> Apply several million tubes of benzoyl peroxide.

13> Use one of those levees the Army Corps of Engineers built
near New Orleans. They work, right?

12> Have Bruce Willis light it up in the big finale of "Diehard:
New Orleans Funeral."

11> 1) Bake you a biscuit the size of Cuba. 2) Start soppin'.

10> First things first: You'll never earn its respect if you
keep calling it "Slick."

9> Push it into the Gulf Stream and let Iceland deal with it.
Volcano payback's a bitch, Bjork!

8> Soak it up with Jenna Jameson's contraceptive sponge.

7> Call it an Petroleum Expansion Pool Aggressive Growth Fund
and get Goldman Sachs to sell shares of it.

6> Borrow Jerry Lewis' comb.

5> Gloss up the cast of "Jersey Shore" for nearly a whole season.

4> Add balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs and get Jamie Oliver
to guilt everybody into eating it.

3> Freeze it with Nancy Pelosi's icy stare; lift and remove.

2> Cover a Northwest airlines plane in Swiffers and have the
pilots aim nowhere near the spill.

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Novel
Idea for Stopping an Oil Slick...

1> Send in the U.S.S. Maxipad.

[ Copyright 2010 by Chris White/TopFive.com ]
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
RM

Quote:
and right after the Pres.said he'd allow more oil rigs in the Gulf despite saying he wouldn't when he was campaigning for the job..
Last night I was abducted by space aliens. While in their keep, they shared a conspiracy theory with me :

In an effort to appear to please everyone, Obama ordered the oil rig blown up. The resultant environmental disaster would allow him to return to his previous no-new-drilling stance and continue with a get-rich-quick scheme he and his cronies have developed.

I hope the aliens grab me again tonight so they can answer a few questions I have.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post

I hope the aliens grab me again tonight so they can answer a few questions I have.
that can be arranged...