banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
charlene

Default Collingswood NJ - Nov.1,2013 article

Collingswood NJ - Nov.1,2013
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...mode=fullstory
Gordon Lightfoot celebrates 50 years in music at Scottish Rite

Published: Friday, October 25, 2013

By Rob Nagy
21st Century Media News Service

Canadian troubadour Gordon Lightfoot will perform at Scottish Rite Ballroom as part of his 50th anniversary tour.

Armed with a 12-string acoustic guitar and his signature baritone voice, Canada’s beloved Gordon Lightfoot is celebrating 50 years in music. Credited with merging folk and pop music, he helped introduce this genre to the world.

With more than 200 recordings in his catalog, including the timeless classics “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Rainy Day People,” “Carefree Highway” and “Sundown,” Lightfoot has earned numerous recording industry awards.

A highly regarded songsmith, his songs have been recorded by some of modern music’s biggest names, including Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand and Peter, Paul and Mary.

A successful child performer, Lightfoot taught himself to play folk guitar. Influenced by Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Bob Gibson and 19th-century American songwriter Stephen Foster, Lightfoot eventually became a fixture in the Toronto coffeehouses performing folk music.

In 1965 Lightfoot signed his first major recording contract with United Artists Records, releasing his highly anticipated debut album “Lightfoot” one year later. That record featured the songs "For Lovin' Me," "Early Mornin' Rain," "Steel Rail Blues" and "Ribbon of Darkness."

Appearances at the Newport Folk Festival as well as on “The Tonight Show,” starring John Carson, followed. Having already solidified his superstar popularity in Canada, American audiences were now following suit.

“I was part of the folk revival early on,” recalls Lightfoot. “I had my own style. I have my own vocal sound, which allowed me to get involved with some important recording companies over the years. Many of the songs I wrote on the road and recorded around touring.

“The Beatles were always in my face [laughs]. I had three years of trying before I had to compete with them.”

Subsequent album releases “The Way I Feel” (1967), “Did She Mention My Name?” (1968), “Back Here on Earth” (1968) and the live album “Sunday Concert” (1969) all yielded a number of Top 40 songs on the Canadian charts.

After signing with Warner Brothers Records in 1970, Lightfoot scored his first million-selling international hit single, the classic “If You Could Read My Mind.” Long recognized as a critically acclaimed writer, Lightfoot was now gaining notice for his live performance.

The first half of the ’70s proved to be Lightfoot’s most commercially successful. Three more smash hit singles followed — “Sundown” (1974), “Rainy Day People” (1975) and his greatest masterpiece “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” (1976).

“A timeless song really comes down to three basic things,” says Lightfoot. “It’s a great song, great arrangement and great vocal. That is indeed what makes a memorable song. Like a Barbra Streisand or Frank Sinatra song that sticks with you and stands the test of time.”

Continuing to record and perform throughout the ’80s and ’90s, Lightfoot’s career was abruptly put on hold in 2002 when he underwent the first of multiple surgeries for a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.

“When a very serious illness put me out of business for 2 ½ years, the very first thing that I did as soon as I got back into recovery was get right back into the gym,” recalls Lightfoot. “That’s part of my job along with going on stage. It’s tough. It’s hard. That’s what’s doing it for this old guy.”

In 2004, with work completed on his 20th album, “Harmony,” Lightfoot made his highly anticipated return to the concert stage by performing a pair of sold-out benefit shows in Hamilton, Ontario.

Two years later, in the middle of a performance, Lightfoot experienced a minor stroke that left him without the use of a portion of his right hand. Forced to use an additional guitarist, he fortunately regained full use of his right hand a year later.

Lightfoot’s accomplishments have earned him induction into both the Canadian Music Hall of Fame (1986) and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame (2001). In 2003 he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country's highest civilian honor. Lightfoot is also a member of the Order of Ontario, the province’s highest honor. Last year, Lightfoot was inducted into the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame in New York City.

“I’m very humbled,” says Lightfoot. “It’s so amazing, I don’t totally believe it. I keep making myself believe that I deserve these accolades by just trying to do it better. I just keep trying to get it better all the time.”

In 2012, Lightfoot released his “All Live” album, a collection of live concert recordings spanning 1998 to 2001.

“My band and I very much enjoy performing our material before audiences,” says Lightfoot. “I have this wonderful group of four backup musicians. We have about eight standards. They always have to be a part of the show. If we did not do them the audience would be disappointed — ‘Sundown,’ ‘The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’ and ‘If You Could Read My Mind’ —those three in particular. The people really like these songs, and they get a really great response.”

“I’m excited to get back out on the road,” says Lightfoot. “I’m not going to stop, particularly after I had the illness. Now that I’m back, I’m never going to stop. It’s a drive. It’s a passion. I’ve always tried to improve things and make my band better.”

IF YOU GO

Gordon Lightfoot

performs at the

Scottish Rite Ballroom,

315 White Horse Pike,

Collingswood, NJ 08107,

Friday, Nov. 1, 8 p.m.

Info: 856-270-6656 or

www.ticketmaster.com.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: Collingswood NJ - Nov.1,2013 article

I wish we knew about this concert earlier (this would be maybe 45 minutes from home), but we have other plans for tonight that we made before this. For whomever is going, have a great time. We will be away for the next few days (in the Penn State area), but we're stopping/staying over in Harrisburg, PA tomorrow night, so we'll have another chance to see Gordon there!
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
charlene

Carter pics: Collingswood NJ-Just when I thought I'd seen it all.I'm performing tonight with Gordon Lightfoot and his amazing band at the Scottish Rite Auditorium.Here are some photos.The open door directly behind the stage is an outdoor elevator to load in our gear.This place is funky!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collingswood NJ-Just when I thought I'd seen it all.I'm performing tonight with Gordon Lightfoot.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	6442  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
charlene

another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Collingswood NJ-Just when I thought I'd seen it all.I'm performing tonight with Gordon Lightfoot.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	6444  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
charlene

another
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	574
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	6447  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
charlene

Rick Pics-Collingswood NJ-Tonite, we aee are at the Scottish Rite Theater,on the SE side of the Delaware River, across from Philadelphia.RH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Collingswood NJ-Tonite, we are are at the Scottish Rite Theater,on the SE side of the Delaware R.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	6448  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
charlene

another:I asked him about the windows: his reply: Rick Haynes, Bassist with Gordon Lightfoot wrote: "yes...all stained glass. The 'Mansion' attached to the front of the theater is much older (about 150 years), and is full of antiques and stained glass windows."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Collingswood NJ-Tonite, we are are at the Scottish Rite Theater,on the SE side of the Delaware R.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	6449  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
charlene

another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CollingswoodNJ.......so, loading in and setting up is a long slow procedure at the Scottish Rite.jpg
Views:	2589
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6450   Click image for larger version

Name:	collingswood NJ-loadin-RH.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	6451   Click image for larger version

Name:	CollingswoodNJ-Here's the view from the 'Load-In' door at stage level at the Scottish Rite Theat.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	6452  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
charlene

and, ready for sound check at the Scottish Rite Theater, Collingswood, NJ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CollingswoodNJ-and, ready for sound check at the Scottish Rite Theater.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	6453  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
jj

Lots of new articles on tour. Anything new mentioned in any of them? (Char or any others who read or scan them all?)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
jj

"If we did not do them the audience would be disappointed — ‘Sundown,’ ‘The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’ and ‘If You Could Read My Mind’ —those three in particular. The people really like these songs"

I'd be disappointed if I was waiting a few years to see Gord and never got to hear CRT and Early Morning Rain Never made any sense to me as to why they are rotated with SFAWN and performances like Rather Press On or Wild Strawberries and other album cuts, consume coveted spots in the 25 song show +/-

Yeah, add CPR and EMR into the 8 standards, at the least. And Minstrel of the Dawn too. With that said, I don't think the Massey hardcores mind the rotation because many attend multiple nights. My input is more from the one stop city ticket buyer. His folksy breakthrough tunes were FLM and EMR. Doesn't do FLM. so to not hear EMR just seems wrong. I'll stop now. I arrest my case....
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
curiousmoonbeam

My sister and I went to the Collingswood concert last night. It was sister #2's first Gordon concert and she absolutely loved it. She is now smitten with Carter Lancaster - who isn't?? We had great seats - third row on the side. Early in the concert a lady yelled out "I love you, Gord" and there were hoots and hollars throughout the event. There was a gentleman in the front row who gave a standing ovation after each song and bowed - it was quite funny. For the 2nd time in my Gordon concert life I had the courage to shout "Over Me" at which time Gord called me a weiner! Yikes. I am sorry that I do not have a setlist. I seem to get too distracted. The setlist was different from Penn's Peak, which was great for me. He did sing "Now and Then" - one of my all-time favorites. Gord's voice was not as strong as at Penn's Peak but after a few tunes it got a lot better. Penn's Peak was the 2nd concert in the schedule and this was the 6th, so that explains it. Gord mentioned that Barry Keane was born in Philly but spent the frist 8 years of his life in Collingswood. They received a standing ovation (of course) and did "Rainy Day People" - Gord mentioned it was appropriate for the day since earlier it was rainy and very windy. Wow! Another great concert - any only 20 minutes away from home!
Very Best,
CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmoonbeam View Post
There was a gentleman in the front row who gave a standing ovation after each song and bowed - it was quite funny
i love these types of tidbits found in reviews.... i imagine Gord and the boys chuckled
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
charlene

SETLIST:

Gordon Lightfoot, Scottish Rite Auditorium, Collingswood, NJ.

1. Sweet Guinevere
2. Cotton Jenny
3. Sea of Tranquility
4. All The Lovely Ladies
5. Never Too Close
6. Wild Strawberries
7. Let It Ride
8. Beautiful
9. Fine As Fine Can Be
10. The Watchman's Gone
11. The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald (Standing O)
12. Carefree Highway
INTERMISSION
13. Now and Then
14. Ribbon Of Darkness
15. Sundown
16 Hangdog Hotel Room
17 14 Karat Gold
18 I'd Rather Press On
19. A Painter Passing Through
20. Waiting For You
21 If You Could Read My Mind (Standing O)
22. Restless
23. Baby Step Back
24. Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Standing O)
ENCORE
25. Rainy Day People
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Long River

I enjoyed the concert, it's been awhile since I've seen them, actually since before Terry passed. It was the first time I was at this theater, I really like it, very comfortable and pretty. We had very good seats, left orch, row E.

During one of the songs, I don't remember which one, Gord started laughing a little, as did the others but he kept right on singing. Does anyone know what happened that made them laugh?

Also, what was the Betty reference? He said something about Betty something and then sang a couple of lines. Sorry for being vague, my memory's not so good.

I also noticed the man in the front row who gave a standing ovation after each song. And in the row behind him to the left was a man wearing a top hat, with, I suppose, photos of Gord on it.

Very happy to have been able to see him again, always a pleasure. I'm glad he still loves to perform.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
charlene

He does have a song from way way back called "Betty Called Me In" but have no thoughts why he was laughing..
Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He does have a song from way way back called "Betty Called Me In"
hey, yeah that was a fun one from late 70s... but 15 years earlier he had Betty Mae

i recall him singing "betty" between songs at some other concert also...it must be in a thread somewhere because i remember someone trying to spell out the ( very faint ) lyrics
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
Melissa

I'm wondering if it might have been "Betsy" instead of "Betty?" I've heard him refer to the song, "Sweet Betsy From Pike" many times when he introduces "Waiting for You" and then he'll sing the first few lines of "Sweet Betsy." Most of the time, the audience has no clue.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
charlene

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I'm wondering if it might have been "Betsy" instead of "Betty?" I've heard him refer to the song, "Sweet Betsy From Pike" many times when he introduces "Waiting for You" and then he'll sing the first few lines of "Sweet Betsy." Most of the time, the audience has no clue.

Melissa

way to go, MJ! .... i did a search and see a few earlier discussions mentioning this (ellen, lisa, char, etc) and i'm sure you guys are bang on... 21 verses or something? lol .... i think i'd rather hear odd song references and a teaser verse, than his jokes

http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...ighlight=Betsy
Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #21
charlene

he's back there on November 1,2019- on sale July 17.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #22
paskatefan

We'll have to get tickets for this one! It's only about 40-45 minutes away from home!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #23
formerlylavender

Me too! 52 minute drive...
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote