banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 03-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #26
christinefrommichigan

Send a message via AIM to christinefrommichigan

English Patient - fell asleep 30 minutes into it.

Punch Drunk Love - very very boring

Dogma - yawn
christinefrommichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #27
classicmixdj

If he were alive I'd say John Wayne for President of the Good Ole USA. The Duke is King.

Hmmm, come to think of it...I'll still say...The Duke for President...he might actually be better in his current state than those that are in contention.

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited March 16, 2004).]
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:44 AM   #28
Borderstone

If John Wayne was alive today he'd be pushing age 100! Besides that,some of his views would not sit to well with most people if he had run for Pres. ,,then again,he would've been better than Ron "Jelly Brai....er!!! Bean" Reagan!

Gaby! I'm with you on Katharine Hepburn! Yeah,I own a copy of Rooster Cogburn and it seems to me it should have been called,"My Dinner With Katy"! Long before they catch up with the bad guys who shot her father,they do nothing but converse with eachother. I'm not much for John Wayne but to watch him in this,I can understand why he played "gung-ho" type guys! Along with that one,I've seen all but about 8 or 9 of her films. I've only heard the worst one is,"Break Of Hearts" and given a dumb title like that,I wouldn't be surprised!

Just like I got into GL in 2001,I also discovered (and in some cases re-discovered) Hepburn films. I can honestly say,sometimes,I'd rather watch her acting than a lot of today's actresses.

Kate Hep. was down to earth and didn't fold under pressure from the big studio brass to be more feminine. In other words pose for publicity in gowns and other so-called lady-like attire.

Also,with the exception of Spencer Tracy,with whom she truly shared the screen,she was the main overall focus of her films and even had the bravery to speak her own real life views within the film. "State Of The Union" is the best example of that! She was the first woman not to play weaker or dumber to her male lead.

She once admitted in an interview,"I know I'm not pretty." Maybe not,but at least she was herself in a time where just about every actress had to put on a "show" 24 hours a day. I'm still sad that she didn't make it to 100. She'd have been 97 this May 12th. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited April 25, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:53 AM   #29
Borderstone

By the way......"Green Berets" or whatever the title. Worst John Wayne movie! Let's make Vietnam look like a grand adventure! OH! PLEASE!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Old 04-25-2004, 02:25 PM   #30
DMD3

I don't know how John Wayne acted in real life but in every movie I ever watched with him in it he was a bulley. Not a very good actor at all. Of course, I might think a bit differently if I knew how he acted in real life.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 AM   #31
Borderstone

DMD3,if you catch John Wayne on the,"I Love Lucy",re-run where Lucy & Ethel steal his footprints from the Hollywood sidewalk,you get at least a fair idea of what he was really like. Nobody's that big a "jerk" in real life unless their life has been really lousy. He passed on as a film legend so he couldn't have been all that bad. Ben me,later!

------------------
Old 04-26-2004, 04:43 AM   #32
Borderstone

Gaby!! By the way,I forgot to tell you,tune into Turner Classic Movies on K. Hepburn's birthday May 12th! They're showing a few of her films that day! (I forget how many).

They had over 10 of her films on back in January,7 that I hadn't seen yet,but because I moved in Dec...I had to give up cable TV and I missed them! I worked all those days anyway.

I won't miss them this time! Hope you don't either! Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
Old 04-26-2004, 06:50 AM   #33
Gaby

Thanks, B.
I can’t get Turner Classic Movies, as I’m not bothered with the satellite channels we get over here and don’t have a dish. I have a digitop box which is bad enough. My daughter has completely taken it over so, every time you walk through the sitting-room you are blasted from one music video channel or another!! I have bought her a digibox for her bedroom (hoping to banish her and her music there) but my plan didn’t work and she’s still slobbing about on the sofa downstairs!!
Thanks, anyway – it was kind of you.

As you said, KH once admitted in an interview, "I know I'm not pretty." - But, I always thought she was stunning, even as she grew older. Two of my favourite films are The Lion In Winter and On Golden Pond.
I have to admit, I had a little sniffle when she died.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #34
Shazia

soylent green
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:27 AM   #35
Borderstone

Interesting choice Shazia! In my own opinion though,it's Charlton Heston that's bad in the film and not necessarily the movie itself!

Here's more from me! Divine intervention by heaven's angels alters the lives of two people! Yep that's the plotline in 1983's "Two Of A Kind" with John Travolta (that and most of his 80s movies!) & Olivia Newton John (3 years after the disaster of 1980's Xanadu!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
In which she played a Mythological Greek Muse who comes to life and helps a young man realize his dream of...opening a roller-disco club?????

"Can't Stop The Music" A 1980
disco musical w/The Village People! Featuring actor/athlete Bruce Jenner! Mis-Directed by Nancy Walker (also known as The Bounty paper towel quicker picker upper lady!
What was everyone "on" when they conceived this devious plot?!

We now go from really bad to really boring!
2000's:"Isn't She Great" starring Bette Midler as the woman who wrote the infamous 60s book & movie,"The Valley Of The Dolls!"
This should be an interesting biopic but it's just a mediocre bore! Just rent it (I dare you!) and you'll see what I mean!

Also on the boring front,Jerry Lewis's last slapstick comedy outing,1981's,"Hardly Working" where he plays a guy who constantly gets fired because of his ineptness! OH! Ha-ha-ha-ha...not! Not just the plot but his brand of comedy by that time had become outdated. The film also just doesn't have an energy or excitment to it. "AND I PAID TO SEE IT????!!" Yaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! It's been me,Aurevoir and the balcony's closed!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited April 27, 2004).]
Old 04-28-2004, 03:55 AM   #36
whirligirl

Dawn of the dead-1978. Blech! My husband really had to make things up to me for that one. I wanted to see Grease but no,he had to be a man. hoo-boy! Good night once again ay from North Dakota.
whirligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #37
Shazia

LOL borderstone...I saw Charleton Heston in Planet of the Apes...but I must confess I loved that movie
Old 04-28-2004, 12:15 PM   #38
DMD3

The Butter Creem Game is another lousy movie.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #39
Shazia

anyone heard of a movie called The Naked Prey?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 AM   #40
Borderstone

"Santa Claus vs The Aliens!" Real movie,no joking!

------------------
Old 04-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #41
DMD3

I also don't like "A Miracle On 34th Street".

[This message has been edited (again) by DMD3 (edited April 29, 2004).]

Old 04-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #42
Borderstone

...and just which version would that be "D"?

The 1940's version with then chid actress Natalie Wood? In glorious B & W?

How about the 1976 TV version with (of all people) "then" Good Morning America host David Hartman playing Kris Kringle's lawyer?

Or the far superior than '76 but nearly equal to the original,1994 version with that adorable little girl from Mrs Doubtfire? (Who's about 15 or 16 by now.)?

Whichever it is.........shame on you! Just for that,no GL music for X-mas for you! Or even in May!!!

Long live 34th street!!!!!!

------------------
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #43
DMD3

When they played it in class several years ago, it was in color but it looked kind of old. It was booooooring.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:41 AM   #44
Borderstone

I would findit hard to believe that the '94 version could look old but then again I seriously doubt it was the 1976 TV version. I haven't seen the TV one in over a decade.

I'm willing to bet in a few years if you have a family,you'll watch it with them and love it! Love it,love it,love it!!

------------------
Old 05-01-2004, 08:14 PM   #45
violet Blue Horse

Sigh . . . obviously you're one of those unbelievers. It would seem you've lost touch with the old Santa Clause magic. *shakes head* The version you saw was probably, unfortunately, the *shudders* colorized version of the original.

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
When they played it in class several years ago, it was in color but it looked kind of old. It was booooooring.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #46
Borderstone

The original,"boring"????? Why,you rotten rubber duck!

Not you Violet. As long as I've been around,I willl never understand what makes younger people have this aversion to things that existed before their time. If a movie's not in color and if the people in it aren't doing something exciting in every frame,it's boring.

If the music is before their generation it's old geeezer music or old school. I'm not saying "all" young people are like that but quite a few. I know it could be their lack of understanding things or comprhending there was a world and times that existed before they did.

All I know is,when I was younger I gave everthing a listen,a viewing or what have you before I liked it or not. That would be more than once of course. I can only hope somewhere down the line DMD3 comes back to this film and sees what a true classic it is.
If it wasn't,they wouldn't show it as much as they do. They shouldn't have colorized it though,it doesn't make the film any better than it already is.

It's been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
Old 05-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #47
Janice

B, I agree with you 100% - colorization of the B&W classics is an abomination. The first time I saw the colorized version of Casa Blanca, I almost cried. (sorry, MAH, I know "Uncle Ted" is a local hero in your neck of the woods, but he didn't do the classics any favors with colorization )

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
The original,"boring"????? Why,you rotten rubber duck!

Not you Violet. As long as I've been around,I willl never understand what makes younger people have this aversion to things that existed before their time. If a movie's not in color and if the people in it aren't doing something exciting in every frame,it's boring.

If the music is before their generation it's old geeezer music or old school. I'm not saying "all" young people are like that but quite a few. I know it could be their lack of understanding things or comprhending there was a world and times that existed before they did.

All I know is,when I was younger I gave everthing a listen,a viewing or what have you before I liked it or not. That would be more than once of course. I can only hope somewhere down the line DMD3 comes back to this film and sees what a true classic it is.
If it wasn't,they wouldn't show it as much as they do. They shouldn't have colorized it though,it doesn't make the film any better than it already is.

It's been me,Aurevoir!

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:45 PM   #48
Borderstone

How about the colorized,"It's A wonderful Life?" The evil Mr. Potter ends up looking like a peachy-old softy! The men of Mr. Potter's time belong in black & white,since that's how they used to view life around them. (The selfish,prejudiced one's that is.)

The only defense I have for colorization is,Bing Crosby's,"Holiday Inn". Being a true Christmas film,color actually does make it somewhat more appealing. The processs has improved in recent years. Check out any "on-film" rerun of your favorite sitcoms on DVD.

As far as B & W movies go,leave 'em alone!
You know,Siskel & Ebert did a show some years back about this very subject. Roger Ebert had the nerve to say,"Do what you want to TV shows but not the movies." Excuse me?
Don't you dare add color to I Love Lucy,Dick Van Dyke Show or Andy Griffith etc.! Really! Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
Old 05-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #49
DMD3

Borderstone: Did you ever see "The Lottery"? It's based on a short story by the same name but they added some more plot to it. Not a whole lot happens up until the end, but the suspense is good due to the fact that I know what is going to happen.

("The Lottery" is a story where ever June 27, they stone a person to death, they have to choose these little cards, and whichever one has a black mark on it, that person and their family has to go up and choose a card again. Whoever chooses the one with the black mark this times IS GONNA DIE!!! That's gotta hurt. It looked pretty graphic and painful when they stoned that woman at the end.)

So, without a lot of action, there are movies that I do like. The music is pretty good in this movie, to.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #50
violet Blue Horse

I agree. Shooting in black and white was an art form in of itself, and for some arrogant young punks in the industry to decide that classics like that would look better in color is to ignore the balance and beauty of the original.

quote:Originally posted by Janice:
B, I agree with you 100% - colorization of the B&W classics is an abomination. The first time I saw the colorized version of Casa Blanca, I almost cried. (sorry, MAH, I know "Uncle Ted" is a local hero in your neck of the woods, but he didn't do the classics any favors with colorization )