banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
The Rez

Howdy All,

Here at Friday Midnight, I still don't know if I'll be able to hook up w/ Gord's Cerritos Center show or not.

I've not been able to find anyone to stay w/ Mama for the few hours yet, and she always must come first.

So, I still hope to see some of you there - but
I just don't know for sure. Perhaps drop me a line if you'll be going.

Adios,

Rex
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:29 AM   #2
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Rez,
I’m sorry your mum is not feeling so well, Rez. I managed a ticket, but not enough money to get there and back....
Wish I could find everything I need by 10AM and I’d be on my way.
Kimberly
Old 08-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I am wondering if Kim somehow got there
Anybody else here who recalls Sheryl's wonderful Agoura Hills 2005 concert review, and misses her postings here,might like to know that she has pretty well outdone herself on the Newsgroup, by not only using a Palm Pilot to record the
setlist but also another quite splendiferous review.
go to:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...1a364d5?hl=en&
and enjoy
John Fowles

[ August 28, 2006, 17:43: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Nope, didn't make it.
: (
Old 08-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
The Rez

Howdy Folks,

Just a few thoughts to compliment Sheryl's beutiful descriptives:

So pleased, from the first words, to hear how strong Gord's voice had become in the year since last years Cerritos Concert. Has it already been an entire year?

Shadows: 20 years ago, in Gord's Universal City hotel room, I asked him where the song had come from in his heart. I know where and why it lives inside me. His answer: "If I told you, then it wouldn't be yours anymore." Backstage Sat nite I reminded him of that long ago conversation. There's a reason Shadows is both sung by Gord and heard by me w/ eyes closed. His answer remains: "It's still yours, Rex, in "your" fashion." Indeed . . .

Ribbon of Darkness: As Sheryl mentioned, Gord's seque into Sundown was well received. To me, he did what few can do. He stopped Ribbon of Darkness on the unresolved "5" chord . . . just leaving it hanging in air for a time - a long time. I could see the twinkle clearly & wondered where he was headed. Edge of yer seat stuff . . .

Restless: "Connection" was the word . . . not "Communication" Another time of doing something few can do - holding and mainting audience absolute silence. To me, this is more a Wonderment than the thunder to follow.

It took me back 35yrs to The Universal Amphitheater - then open air. The lady I was w/ and I saw two empty seats upfront - not re-taken after intermission. We took 'em. T'was then Gord sang Affair on 8th Avenue. As he came to the end of the riddle . . . another time of sheer silence - not even breath. Can't say how long - but quite long, indeed.
To hold some 8 thousand+ people in rapt silence while waiting for him to resolve both the chord and the riddle - Wonderment.

Such was the silence of Restless - even after Gord touched his last string and Mike's high pedal tone suspension/drone carried thru to fade - just the one note. "Connection" was dangerously present.

Don Quixote: If Gord were ever to dispense w/ the two-count boot fill, I would be very saddened. Of all the fine lyrics from his pen across the years, to me this ranks as high as the best [which is impossible to define] Knowing how Gord views Cervante's character, this "tarnished cross" is always there - in many other lyrics - a Shadow.

Old Dan's Records: I'm very glad this song is on every show I've seen since it was new. "We're all here. We've all got dates. We'll dance all night to the 78s." Best rhyme a-goin' . . . right there w/ "Her name was Anne and I'll be damned . . . "

Early Mornin' Rain: A friend saw Gord in Redwood City. She said he sang "where the cold wind blows" instead of his original "a pain that ever grows." Tonight . . . the original.
I smiled for my friend.

Sit Down Young Stranger: Saved my thoughts here for last. I'd not heard Gord do this tune onstage in 35yrs. One precious time 20yrs ago in that hotel room, but not on stage.

From the first hearing on the LP all those years ago, I stood amazed at the touch of waiting to bring in Rick's bass until the key change. The most subtle yet spectacular mood shift I'd ever heard. With eyes closed - as were mine - you forget it's only Gord and Martin . . . then the awakening key change. Brilliant. T'was Gord's idea according to Rick. That song - that moment - alone was worth the proverbial price of admission.

A side note to Piano Guys like me: Mike always uses two synths. This night I hear some very familiar belcanto - he was using an original Yamaha DX7. The original DX7 came out in '83 and took over as keybord of preference for the performing musician from the Fender Rhodes. Mine sits at the foot of my bed. Chatting w/ Mike aftershow, he was tickled I knew the instrument and the sounds he used - all factory, no custom.

His Roland top board supplied all the wonderful orchestral sounds, but the DX7 was the workhorse last night. Just can't figure out why my DX7 won't play all the fine notes Mike's will. Strangest thing . . . peradventure a faulty synth [not]

I hurried backstage as the lights come up for I had to hurry home [I'm Caregiver to my Mama - she insisted I go] He was beaming w/ afterglow from a show well done.

As Sheryl said, Gord is always kind to us fans. I used to take my 3 sons to see him as often as possible when they were in their teens. They're in their 30s now. He remembers them well. A kind, good man . . . I never even wildly dreamed close to 40 years ago when I first saw him in trio at The Troubadore and old Golden Bear, that I'd one day come to know him. Thanks Jason Siever . . .

Blessings to each and all . . .

Breath deep . . . listen w/ eyes closed . . . and treasure our Gord.

The Rez
Old 08-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
charlene

I can just see the big grin on Mike's face! lol

SOunds like an inspirational evening for you. I too love the pauses, the anticipation in his songs..he makes us work for our enjoyment!
lol

He IS a treasure to be treasured for sure!

thanks Rez...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
johnfowles

OK against my better judgement because by now the poor pianist should have cottonned on on how to do it himself and because he asked me so nicely I am displaying two pictures he asked me to display here

Rex's new bum patch

a pair of crazy guyz
OK apologies if you folowed Kim's link to her albums you will already have seen thes two but what the rez asks the rez gets, OK
John
Very pleased to see that he managed to get to the show and loved his very graphic description of Rick's playing on SDYS. Spot on Rex

[ August 28, 2006, 11:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Don Quixote

Great description, Rez; right from the soul, as usual. Continued prayers to your mom.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
johnfowles

P.S.I still think that Gord should segue Sundown BEFORE "Ribbon Of Darkness" he could then follow up with a rerotated Pleasures Of The Night and again segue that into Minstrel Of The Dawn , followed of course by Belles Of The Evening and for an encore tada tada
(a) Song For a Winter's Night!!
Just a thought!!
so sorry to waste your time here
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Next Saturday

I don't know if this is from Cerritos, but there is someone in the audience with a camera who recorded the Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown transition

as well as the Wreck:
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
Janice

Thanks Next Saturday, that is way cool. Sound quality isn't too bad considering that it's a camera recording from the audience. I loved when the lighting went all dark except for the spotlight on Gord when he sang the last "ribbon of darkness" before the pause.

LOVE Rez's Levi picture, but then I like that artsy fartsy kind of photography
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Janice:
LOVE Rez's Levi picture, but then I like that artsy fartsy kind of photography
Janice how on earth could you tell from that picture that Rex was farty at that moment??
Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
ELizabeth

Rez..what's that thing around you shoulder? You didn't wear your mink did you? I should hope not!!!! that would have been a Pootish thing to do! Someting is crawling up you back to your neck.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
Janice

Not "farty" John, "fartsy"
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
The Rez

A Late Nite Thought about The Gord Lightfoot Orchestra [as he sometimes intros 'em]

Yes. That's the best description I can think of myownself. Other's have a *band* who plays pretty much all the time. Tastefully, perhaps, but a definite *band* sound.

When you go to symphony or opera the colors are created by the layering; the touch here; the one typany roll that doesn't occur again; and the slight ribbon of oboe floating melodically among the colors [like Mike's keyboard lines and the drone at the conclusion of *Restless*.]

In a *band* everybody plays w/ room for change as they might feel. That's good stuff, of course.

But an orchestra . . . each note; it's firmness or lightness; exists for a specific reason in the creation of the piece. So it is w/ Gord's players.

Some crab that Gord's songs sound so much like the record rather than more free form. In an orchestra, you best not improvise on Mozart.

So, they may look like a *band* . . . but it's a "brilliant disguise" Just give pause to the interaction between the "sections" of The Gord Lightfoot Orchestra.

I figure, like any fine orchestra as it comes together under the baton of a Leonard Berstein, sonic heights and subtilties are reached thru the touch of the master's hand.

. . . and peradventure, The Touch of The Master's Hand.

Rez
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 AM   #16
DJ in MJ

I agree completely, Rez. But I also think we should be thankful for both forms of live concert entertainment. I have mentioned on this board before that my two favourite artists of all time are Gordon Lightfoot and Al Stewart. Go to a GL concert. The band is tight and almost always note-perfect. A truly amazing experience each and every time. Go to an Al concert. Whether solo or with a band, Al and the players are loose and do a lot of creative improvising. A truly amazing experience each and every time.

So I'll happily take the best of both worlds!
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #17
The Rez

Absolutely in agreement, David . . .

Having been often in both circumstances as a musician, each is a challenge - and a Joy - unto it's own.

John Stewart [the "Other Guy Up There w/ Gord" for me] is jubilantly stuck w/ a tag from his Bassman [Dave "Dave"] who loving says:

"John never plays a song the same way once."

I've often wondered what musicians did before the concept of the *garage* was created. Mama's garage is Hallowed Ground in my remembers.

It just may be that all great music created since the Horseless Carriage came out of a garage. Who knew way back then that *Garage Band* would become a term of honor.

And, a very Big Yes to Al Stewart! Way too many people just think he vanished. Not so! Better than ever before to my ears. Glad he comes regularly to McCabes in Santa Monica.

Hey . . . The Wonderment of Music! Here's to the Love of It All.

Rez

PS: Peradventure . . .

Mozart & his buddies did their garaging
in the *stable*??? Works for me!