banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-02-2000, 08:40 AM   #1
Martin Sundstedt

I must agree with all of you who wrote that
it is impossible to name THE best song,
although if I should choose one song that has
impressed me and changed my life the most, I
would choose 'Sit down young Stranger'.
It is the song that, for now anyway, I could have playing in my head all the time and never grow tired of.
The song contains sections that fits all purposes one can think of.

'John loves Mary, does anyone love me ?'

Old 08-02-2000, 08:40 AM   #2
Martin Sundstedt

I must agree with all of you who wrote that
it is impossible to name THE best song,
although if I should choose one song that has
impressed me and changed my life the most, I
would choose 'Sit down young Stranger'.
It is the song that, for now anyway, I could have playing in my head all the time and never grow tired of.
The song contains sections that fits all purposes one can think of.

'John loves Mary, does anyone love me ?'

Old 08-02-2000, 10:27 AM   #3
Dorothea

Rich deep lyrics.Nice trad folk style.
Great song ,if not one of my all time Gord faves.

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 10:27 AM   #4
Frank v

Rich deep lyrics.Nice trad folk style.
Great song ,if not one of my all time Gord faves.

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:47 PM   #5
gathrb

If I had to pick ONE song that changed my life the most, it would have to be "The Circle is Small". I remember going on a G.Lightfoot kick around 1983(after getting SHADOWS) buying all the older Gordon Lightfoot albums I could get my hands on! I picked-up OLD DAN'S RECORDS, SUNDOWN, SUMMERTIME DREAM, DREAM STREET ROSE, COLD ON MY SHOULDER and ENDLESSWIRE. I can still envision myself listening to that song. I had never heard such honesty in a song before, and it had such a beautiful melody. I like how the song fades off slowly.....

I always thought the song was a good one to end similar to the way Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" 45rpm, where the sound would fade down then come back up loud again.

There are still so many Gordon Lightfoot songs I haven't heard yet. I never owned any UNITED ARTISTS albums, nor DON QUIXOTE, SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE, or SIT DOWN YOUNG STRANGER! I'm really curious to hear "Love & Maple Syrup" and "Approaching Lavender" based on postings at this website.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited August 03, 2000).]
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:47 PM   #6
Tom

If I had to pick ONE song that changed my life the most, it would have to be "The Circle is Small". I remember going on a G.Lightfoot kick around 1983(after getting SHADOWS) buying all the older Gordon Lightfoot albums I could get my hands on! I picked-up OLD DAN'S RECORDS, SUNDOWN, SUMMERTIME DREAM, DREAM STREET ROSE, COLD ON MY SHOULDER and ENDLESSWIRE. I can still envision myself listening to that song. I had never heard such honesty in a song before, and it had such a beautiful melody. I like how the song fades off slowly.....

I always thought the song was a good one to end similar to the way Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" 45rpm, where the sound would fade down then come back up loud again.

There are still so many Gordon Lightfoot songs I haven't heard yet. I never owned any UNITED ARTISTS albums, nor DON QUIXOTE, SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE, or SIT DOWN YOUNG STRANGER! I'm really curious to hear "Love & Maple Syrup" and "Approaching Lavender" based on postings at this website.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited August 03, 2000).]
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 09:15 PM   #7
Dan

Tom,

Go to http://www.cdworld.com and order the United Artists Collection. It's GL's first 4 albums on two cd's. It only costs $9.17 plus shipping. I just got it this week it's ggggggggggrrrrrreat!!!!!!!!!!!!

We already have these 4 on vinyl but they are scratchy and they are vinyl. The quality of this stuff on cd is amazing. It's mostly all acoustic, or as the liner notes describe Gord, Red Shea and John Stockfish...A single musician with six hands.. because they play so well together.

In fact the first version of the Circle is Small is on this set. Although it seems most people here like the second version I love the first one!

I couldn't think of anything better to spend 10 bucks on!!!! They also have the other's you mentioned at great prices.

Buy and enjoy,

Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2000, 11:50 PM   #8
gathrb

Thanks Dan! Looks like a good deal, I'll check it out! Tom
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2000, 11:50 PM   #9
Tom

Thanks Dan! Looks like a good deal, I'll check it out! Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 05:29 AM   #10
Dorothea

Tom,
If you haven,t heard DQ,SSOL and the rest your missing a great deal.Hurry and purchase...

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 05:29 AM   #11
Frank v

Tom,
If you haven,t heard DQ,SSOL and the rest your missing a great deal.Hurry and purchase...

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 09:20 AM   #12
CanadaGirl38

Tom -

I second Frank on that. In my book, both DQ and SSOL are in the top three Lightfoot albums category (Sundown would be the other). These are absolutely must haves!

While Sit Down Young Stranger (If You Could Read My Mind) is an essential as well if for other reason than it was the one that put GL on the musical map big time, I'd buy the other two first and then go grab that!
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 09:20 AM   #13
fezo

Tom -

I second Frank on that. In my book, both DQ and SSOL are in the top three Lightfoot albums category (Sundown would be the other). These are absolutely must haves!

While Sit Down Young Stranger (If You Could Read My Mind) is an essential as well if for other reason than it was the one that put GL on the musical map big time, I'd buy the other two first and then go grab that!
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote