banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Yuri

Default Lightfoot Is Infectious!

Lightfoot Is Infectious!

Those of you familiar with my story know I’ve only recently returned to my job as a microbiology lab technologist after a lengthy illness. During my time away I was advised I’d return to changes in technology, administrative policy as well as the physical infrastructure of the hospital itself. Prior to my absence the micro lab was wrapped with large windows on opposite sides. With an expansion well underway I arrived to discover the windows had been replaced by steel girders and drywall, now blocking all traces of the outside world including radio signals. Where once local DJs spinning top 40 hits helped us pass the workday, now ‘Static & Hum’ was the only tune on the dial.

To combat the continuous drone of incubators, centrifuges & analyzers, my colleagues had assembled a small number of CDs which to my horror seemed to be limited to Celine Dion belting out ‘My Heart Will Go On’, Michael Jackson hiccupping ‘I’m Bad’ and a never ending collection of ‘Romantic Hits’ of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, etc! A shaking head, heavy sighs and rolling eyes must have betrayed my anguish in Celine going down with the ship for the umpteenth time yet refusing staying there. Asked if I could do better I arrived the following morning armed with Gord’s Gold Vol. 1 & 2, ready to do sink Celine for good.

Along with bacteria, viruses, parasites & fungi I’ve proven to my co-workers that Lightfoot also is infectious. Alongside the bacterial strains, strains of ’Steel Rail Blues’ & ’Hangdog Hotel Room’ can now be heard adding “culture” to the department. Infectious, as more and more often it is someone other than myself that initiates treatment and prescribes Lightfoot as a remedy for workday tedium.

Wishing you all continuing good health,

Yuri

...anyone else have Lightfoot in the Workplace stories?
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly
Default Re: Lightfoot Is Infectious!

Love it! Glad you are back to work Yuri.
Great graphic!

Kimberly
Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
brink-

Fabulous news that you are back to work, Yuri. Hope Celine goes by the wayside and Gord is firmly planted with the co-workers. So happy for you getting back to the bacteria.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
lighthead2toe

Yuri it's wonderful to hear the good news that you're back again working and you've come back with a sense of humor like only those who would know how to make it happen.

It would be great if we can connect again during the festivities at the upcoming Massey Hall concerts in Toronto.

All the best,

Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

Im really happy to hear this Yuri, and that bottle of medication is really cool. Now if it was only the real thing, there are a few people down here that could actually take those caplets.

All the best my good man...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
formerlylavender

I can think of a few people who could use those tablets too. Glad to hear you're back to work and doing so well.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
charlene

good stuff Yuri!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Lightfoot Is Infectious!

Those of you familiar with my story know I’ve only recently returned to my job as a microbiology lab technologist after a lengthy illness. During my time away I was advised I’d return to changes in technology, administrative policy as well as the physical infrastructure of the hospital itself. Prior to my absence the micro lab was wrapped with large windows on opposite sides. With an expansion well underway I arrived to discover the windows had been replaced by steel girders and drywall, now blocking all traces of the outside world including radio signals. Where once local DJs spinning top 40 hits helped us pass the workday, now ‘Static & Hum’ was the only tune on the dial.

To combat the continuous drone of incubators, centrifuges & analyzers, my colleagues had assembled a small number of CDs which to my horror seemed to be limited to Celine Dion belting out ‘My Heart Will Go On’, Michael Jackson hiccupping ‘I’m Bad’ and a never ending collection of ‘Romantic Hits’ of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, etc! A shaking head, heavy sighs and rolling eyes must have betrayed my anguish in Celine going down with the ship for the umpteenth time yet refusing staying there. Asked if I could do better I arrived the following morning armed with Gord’s Gold Vol. 1 & 2, ready to do sink Celine for good.

Along with bacteria, viruses, parasites & fungi I’ve proven to my co-workers that Lightfoot also is infectious. Alongside the bacterial strains, strains of ’Steel Rail Blues’ & ’Hangdog Hotel Room’ can now be heard adding “culture” to the department. Infectious, as more and more often it is someone other than myself that initiates treatment and prescribes Lightfoot as a remedy for workday tedium.

Wishing you all continuing good health,

Yuri

...anyone else have Lightfoot in the Workplace stories?
AT LAST!Finally, someone else who listens to Gord while they work! He's what I listen to whenever I know that there's a particular household chore that I know will take me forever if I don't have what I call my "audio blinkers" on while I'm busy. So, if I had to be "infected" with any sort of an ailment, I'd rather it be "Gordon-itis". At least it's not dreadful.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
a never ending collection of ‘Romantic Hits’ of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, etc!
well, i heard "Anything for Love' the other day in our lobby area followed by Terry Jacks...it made me chuckle inside

most folks listen to ipods it seems....i never saw so many folks wearing ipods as i did when i scanned a 2 hour h1n1 shot lineup yesterday morn...i felt bare without one but resorting to old fashioned "weather" conversation with family seemed to work fine...i actually never got the shot and have decided not to breath or touch myself (mouth and nose anyhow, lol) til the season passes

it's great you're back in the starting lineup, Yuri, way to go

...i've been on a Love & Maple Syrup IV for several decades
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
podunklander

You go Yuriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
BendRick

I also work in Healthcare and am appalllllled at the music my co-workers play during the work-day. OK maybe I'm the old-timer, the old guy who listens to 1960's-1980's music, but who cares what they think? I liked that music back then and love it even more now. No one will ever rob me of the memory of Gordon Lightfoot's songs, because now they are recorded in my brain, and I thank him & his band for that.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
MaryO

FABULOUS graphic!

Definitely Gord is PRN for me!
MaryO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workplace music