banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
wendylangley

Midnite and a half here in Balboa Or half-12 as UK folks say.

I just woke up w/ clarity of what I've been trying (poorly) to prepare to put to post: The Spiritual Side of the Songs of Gord and the singing of them in a "church" setting (quite unlimited)

Here tis:

A few yrs back Barry McGuire & Terry Talbot (of Mason Profitt) did a fine duo. They would give concerts and sing in open church wherever the call came & God provided.

Often, primarily between San Diego and Seattle(for me,) they'd sing for the parents and I'd sing for the kids. But I always got to see 1/2 hour or more of their program.

Remember, these are Christian settings. Though it was also concert or special music, people often sang along as they would do familiar songs set up in a way that defined (or, in some cases) or brought new vision to a song.

Case in point:

Barry & Terry would sing a beautiful rendition of Blowin' in the Wind, audience/congregation joining right along.

Prior to the Dylan song, Barry would speak of the 2nd Chapter of the Book of Acts in the New Testament. This is the Biblical account of The Holy Spirit coming upon the deciples, after Jesus crucifixion, resurrection and ascention.

The Holy Spirit came upon them as a Rushing Wind.

a Rushing Wind . . .

w/ that, Barry & Terry led Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind w/o a single change - none.

The song was transformed from a song of searching to a song of answers. From a song of seeking God, to a song of finding God.

Not a single change to that marvelous song - only placing it in context. That's all it took.

Perhaps the same path would be all it would take to make certain of Gord's songs crystal clear perfect for the context of worship.

Without the change of the smallest word.

Just conext.

Blessings,

The Rez

. . . the answer is blowin' in The Wind

[ May 21, 2005, 03:15: Message edited by: The Rez ]
wendylangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
The Rez

Midnite and a half here in Balboa Or half-12 as UK folks say.

I just woke up w/ clarity of what I've been trying (poorly) to prepare to put to post: The Spiritual Side of the Songs of Gord and the singing of them in a "church" setting (quite unlimited)

Here tis:

A few yrs back Barry McGuire & Terry Talbot (of Mason Profitt) did a fine duo. They would give concerts and sing in open church wherever the call came & God provided.

Often, primarily between San Diego and Seattle(for me,) they'd sing for the parents and I'd sing for the kids. But I always got to see 1/2 hour or more of their program.

Remember, these are Christian settings. Though it was also concert or special music, people often sang along as they would do familiar songs set up in a way that defined (or, in some cases) or brought new vision to a song.

Case in point:

Barry & Terry would sing a beautiful rendition of Blowin' in the Wind, audience/congregation joining right along.

Prior to the Dylan song, Barry would speak of the 2nd Chapter of the Book of Acts in the New Testament. This is the Biblical account of The Holy Spirit coming upon the deciples, after Jesus crucifixion, resurrection and ascention.

The Holy Spirit came upon them as a Rushing Wind.

a Rushing Wind . . .

w/ that, Barry & Terry led Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind w/o a single change - none.

The song was transformed from a song of searching to a song of answers. From a song of seeking God, to a song of finding God.

Not a single change to that marvelous song - only placing it in context. That's all it took.

Perhaps the same path would be all it would take to make certain of Gord's songs crystal clear perfect for the context of worship.

Without the change of the smallest word.

Just conext.

Blessings,

The Rez

. . . the answer is blowin' in The Wind

[ May 21, 2005, 03:15: Message edited by: The Rez ]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
jeffyjo

I've always thought "Someone To Believe In" had those type of overtones, and could easily be taken as a religious statement.

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Don Quixote

Here's one from left field. How about "Make Way for the Lady"? Aside from the line "Shake hands with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost", if you think of the "Lady" as the Virgin Mary (who is often referred to as "Our Lady of [fill in the blank]", and the "if you must do it better/you just go to do it the most" as prayer, you get an interesting religious slant on what I'm sure was not intended as a religious song, and a way for "turning it [your life, your values] around." I'm not Catholic, and I know Gord isn't either, but it kind of works as a Catholic allegory.
There are other, more "spiritual" songs from GL's repertoire, but I didn't know if anyone else would think along these lines.
Nice topic, as usual, Rez. What's new on the medical front? We're all pulling for you and your Mom.
-DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
The Rez

DonQ: I like your left field. Not being Catholic either, still I hear you.

And being "spiritual" doesn't necessarily mean being somber. I recall when John Paul II began his time, a Catholic friend of mine was somewhat taken aback by news footage from Italy where people called him "Papa." She didn't get the language nor the relationship.

A Jewish child calls her daddy "Abba" - father.

Jeff: Someone to Believe In. Hadn't thought of that one either. But I do believe your right. A song honoring God can easily be about the journey.

Thanks folks,

The Rez

PS: Mama's in hospital now revceiving a pacemaker/defibulator (sp) I'll bring her home Tues. She's very week now, but we do have hope (not wishes)

I'm using the time to drink in every drop of each sundown and immerse myself in music - hence the topic.

. . . now is the time to stand and deliver
Old 05-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
ELizabeth

Rez,
What about 'Too Late for Prayin'? I can also see a spiritual side to 'Heaven Help the Devil' and "The House That You Live In' What do you think?

Youir Mom's doing OK? How about ReZ?
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
Rebecca

Not to be too obvious, but "Forgive Me, Lord" works for me in this category. (Think Jimmy Swaggart.)
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 AM   #8
The Rez

Howdy Late-Niters,

Just returned from Calvary Costa Mesa's Drama Dept. production "The Present."

When I worked there I did the music for 9 or 10 plays (all written/directed and everything you can think of by Kim & Lee Durlach - wife & husband, respectively.)

Everything, except running the sound, is done by students. And, somehow (I figure I know how,) it always comes off.

The play took place in Civil War days, and involved a Time Machine. Some good undertones of It's a Wonderful Life - the "what-ifs" of life and circumstance.

It's a Christian play, of course, and it's message is clear - supposed to be. But, oh, how good those kids are. And a new crop keeps on a-comin' up.

Tonite I saw 6'2" "hairy-legged" boys and "Belle-of-the-Ball" beauties who stood about 3 feet tall when I last saw some of them. I felt like Uncle Ned tonite. Poppin' buttons of good-kind pride.

Brava, Bravo, and Bravi kids.
As always, you made Uncle Ned smile.

Sleeptime,

The Rez

PS: How does Gord tie into all this. He woulda been grinnin w/ all 32 tonite and lovin' the Steven Foster.

Elizabeth & Rebecca: Hope, hypocracy, and forgiveness are, indeed, the human condition and relationship w/ the Lord (or each other, and more - even for those who search.

I don't know the heart of any person - only what discernment I might possess. I only know that I sure could say/sing Forgive Me, Lord.

"How about Rez?" you ask. Standing in The Present. Tonites play drove it home. Perhaps it's called The Present because each day is a gift.

Sorry to be so long winded: just ran out.

The Rez

. . . Grace Happens
[Psalm 139:13]
Old 05-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
Don Quixote

I tried to do a quick run-through of the albums to come up with a list for this topic. Beyond what's been mentioned before (Too Late for Prayin', Forgive Me Lord, etc.), I find:

Rich Man's Spiritual (love the sardonic humor in this song)
Pride of Man (I know it's by Hamilton Camp)
Wherefore and Why (not religious, but spiritual in a sense of "how do I make sense of life and where I fit into the cosmos?")
The Soul is the Rock
Mr. Rock of Ages (I'd love to do a more thorough analysis of this song--love the phrase "Mr. Rock of Ages, the lord of my lease")
Ring Them Bells (yes, I know it's Dylan's)
River of Light

I'm sure I missed one or two.

DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
<tswish63>

The answer is not easy for souls are not reborn
To wear the crown of peace, you must wear the crown of thorns
If Jesus had a reason, I'm sure he would not tell
We treated him so badly, how could he wish us well

"Sit Down Young Stranger" the 1st song of his I learned to play.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
<tswish63>

The answer is not easy for souls are not reborn
To wear the crown of peace, you must wear the crown of thorns
If Jesus had a reason, I'm sure he would not tell
We treated him so badly, how could he wish us well

"Sit Down Young Stranger" the 1st song of his I learned to play.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
Borderstone

I think just listening to Gordon's albums & the music contained are a very spiritual thing.

In music,nothing movesme more than the gentler simplicity (yet emotionl depth) of the UA studio LPs and the "IYCRMM" album as well.

In his progressive LPs of "Summer Side.." to "Summertime Dream" not only are the more acoustic songs touching but so are the songs with more instrumentation. Sometimes,when there are more instruments,it can be too much but in Gordon and the band's case,they get it just right.

I can't say the "rockers" move me in the same way but they do get one's attention. "Dream Street Rose" and "Shadows" combine an easy going style and pop sensibilty which is why most of us feel they vaslty under rated.

"Salute" has 2 or 3 spiritully moving songs and "East Of Midnight" has a celestial kind of spirit.
The kind of sprit on "WFY" & "Painter" is sort of a feeling and or spirit of longing for something.

"Harmony" is the spirit of re-birth,I believe.
Well,after typing this,I feel like going home and playing my "Songbook" CD'S. Been me. Later!

[ May 24, 2005, 20:27: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
Wesley

you won't find it here but if you go to the Wayne Francis site, it mentions the 1962 Two Tones album, it lists the song Children Go Where I Send Thee. i remember singing it in music class years ago and Natalie Merchant recorded this one though i'm not sure when.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
Affair on Touhy Ave.

you won't find it here but if you go to the Wayne Francis site, it mentions the 1962 Two Tones album, it lists the song Children Go Where I Send Thee. i remember singing it in music class years ago and Natalie Merchant recorded this one though i'm not sure when.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote