banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2000, 10:39 AM   #26
Gord

I just have one thing to say here if you don't like the way I use language.... dial 1-800- I don't give a damn!!!!! It is useless arguing with a fool so I won't even bother by the way LAMS I use profanity on a regular basis in my everyday dealings if ya don't like it TOO BAD. You are not the language police. I am not gonna change the way I am just to please you or anybody for that matter
Old 02-18-2000, 10:39 AM   #27
Gord

I just have one thing to say here if you don't like the way I use language.... dial 1-800- I don't give a damn!!!!! It is useless arguing with a fool so I won't even bother by the way LAMS I use profanity on a regular basis in my everyday dealings if ya don't like it TOO BAD. You are not the language police. I am not gonna change the way I am just to please you or anybody for that matter
Old 02-18-2000, 04:47 PM   #28
LouiseAnne

GEEZ, and you must take cranky pills everyday, too. Bet YOU'RE real fun to be around.

But may I remind you of something. You joined this forum (sadly) much later than the majority of us, so I feel it is very presumptive of YOU to decide how things will be. If you can't behave like a gentleman, then perhaps you should go somewhere where your vulgarity and rude comments will be appreciated. I, for one, am extremely offended by your posts. You stated you won't change and you won't take **** from anyone. No one here cares if you change or whatever you do -- just please don't do it here. Don't be here if it offends you so much. I don't recall anyone inviting you, anyway. I certainly wouldn't miss you. (And by the way, your spelling and punctuation could use some work, too.)
Gord (the REAL one) would be insulted by what you post. HE is and always has been a perfect gentleman. (A gift, I'm afraid, YOU will never have.)
And if you must lower yourself to resort to name calling, with regard to you calling me a fool, well, I have only one response -- it takes one to know one.

GET A LIFE, MAN!

Stay loose
LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2000, 04:47 PM   #29
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

GEEZ, and you must take cranky pills everyday, too. Bet YOU'RE real fun to be around.

But may I remind you of something. You joined this forum (sadly) much later than the majority of us, so I feel it is very presumptive of YOU to decide how things will be. If you can't behave like a gentleman, then perhaps you should go somewhere where your vulgarity and rude comments will be appreciated. I, for one, am extremely offended by your posts. You stated you won't change and you won't take **** from anyone. No one here cares if you change or whatever you do -- just please don't do it here. Don't be here if it offends you so much. I don't recall anyone inviting you, anyway. I certainly wouldn't miss you. (And by the way, your spelling and punctuation could use some work, too.)
Gord (the REAL one) would be insulted by what you post. HE is and always has been a perfect gentleman. (A gift, I'm afraid, YOU will never have.)
And if you must lower yourself to resort to name calling, with regard to you calling me a fool, well, I have only one response -- it takes one to know one.

GET A LIFE, MAN!

Stay loose
LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2000, 07:39 PM   #30
Janice

LAMS,

I am even newer to the board then Gord(yes, since Gord is a fairly common name, I'm willing to bet it is his) so you may resent me as well but I feel compelled to respond...

1. While no one enjoys rudeness, the man is under attack did you really expect kisses and kindness? You rudely accused him of stealing his name and not being fan of Gordon Lightfoot. There are all levels of fanship. I have loved the music for years but never knew anything about GL, the man, until I found this site and I have never attended a concert. Does this make me not a fan? I don't think so. Anyone who comes to this site is obviously a fan.

2. If membership to this board requires an invitation, then it should not be a public web site (that would be a great loss). Not to mention that spelling, punctuation, and grammar should certainly not be a membership requirement. Not all of us are writers by occupation.

3. I do, however, agree that if someone is not happy with the board they should not spend any time here and while I don't blame Gord for defending himself I agree that he could have made his point just as strongly without the vulgarity.

I've been visiting much longer then I've been posting and this has been such a fun and informative place to be. Can't you two just agree to disagree and start playing nice again?

Janice

PS LAMS, like everyone else I too have missed reading your posts and I'm glad your back.

[This message has been edited by Janice (edited February 18, 2000).]
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2000, 09:43 PM   #31
LouiseAnne

All right. I apologize and will keep my mouth shut from now on.

I'm sorry for offending everyone.

Stay loose,

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 02-18-2000, 09:43 PM   #32
loveandmaplesyrup

All right. I apologize and will keep my mouth shut from now on.

I'm sorry for offending everyone.

Stay loose,

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 02-18-2000, 09:50 PM   #33
LouiseAnne

Janice,
I apologize personally to you for my temper. I don't appreciate being called a fool, but I guess that's what I am. So, I'll do the ladylike thing and back down. Maybe you'll all enjoy "Gord's" posts much better than any I have ever made.

Stay loose,

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 02-18-2000, 09:50 PM   #34
loveandmaplesyrup

Janice,
I apologize personally to you for my temper. I don't appreciate being called a fool, but I guess that's what I am. So, I'll do the ladylike thing and back down. Maybe you'll all enjoy "Gord's" posts much better than any I have ever made.

Stay loose,

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 02-18-2000, 10:50 PM   #35
Janice

LAMS,

You have no need to apologize to me. You shouldn't appreciate being called a fool and you shouldn't have been called one. The point I was trying to make is that both of you were posting in anger and lashing out but what were you accomplishing besides more anger. It's not about enjoying one person's posts over another (as I said, I've missed yours)its about being able to share experiences and opinions (even though they sometimes differ)

As I said, I have been reading much longer then I have been posting and I can assure you that I am not the only one that feels your posts are a necessity. I hope you both can get beyond the anger and continue to share!!

Janice

[This message has been edited by Janice (edited February 18, 2000).]
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 09:31 PM   #36
painter

How did the topic of the rights and wrongs of MP3 suddenly switch to a slanging match? - no need for it! But going back to MP3's, when you visit a MP3 site, it is difficult to establish what is, and what isn't, a legal download - bearing in mind that many artists gladly promote themselves via MP3. Therefore, we can only assume that what is there is legal (unless we know otherwise). The record companies stand to lose or gain the most - let them police it.
Old 02-25-2000, 09:31 PM   #37
painter

How did the topic of the rights and wrongs of MP3 suddenly switch to a slanging match? - no need for it! But going back to MP3's, when you visit a MP3 site, it is difficult to establish what is, and what isn't, a legal download - bearing in mind that many artists gladly promote themselves via MP3. Therefore, we can only assume that what is there is legal (unless we know otherwise). The record companies stand to lose or gain the most - let them police it.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #38
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by painter:
I don't think so Gord likes mp3s. i've been trying to download The Edmond Fitzgerald, but haven't had any success other than just finding clips and whatnot.

(this site must not've had private messaging back when this topic was started. )
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #39
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by James Suber:
I don't think so Gord likes mp3s. i've been trying to download The Edmond Fitzgerald, but haven't had any success other than just finding clips and whatnot.

If you can't download it then buy it.

(this site must not've had private messaging back when this topic was started. ) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Nope it didn't. Things have been really quiet here lately. Why bring up a topic that was obviously so upsetting to people? don't answer that.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #40
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
quote:Originally posted by James Suber:
I don't think so Gord likes mp3s. i've been trying to download The Edmond Fitzgerald, but haven't had any success other than just finding clips and whatnot. [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
Well said Deb and I fail to understand how a presumably keen Lightfoot fan like James can admit to having to resort to trying to find mp3s of TWOTEF to download, his Lightfoot CD collection must be truly abysmal not to include this because it appears in no less than three different recordings on so many albums.

Regarding mp3s ,I have to say that IMHO that the sharing of these amongst dedicated fans who usually buy every authorised item they can is a world of difference to the regular activities of a small number of people around who make an income by peddling "unauthorised" items on ebay. In this regard you might care to read my posting today on my "ebay" topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=1;t=003666
which highlights recent and current activity in the UK
John Fowles

[ May 02, 2006, 10:04: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #41
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
quote:Originally posted by James Suber:
I don't think so Gord likes mp3s. i've been trying to download The Edmond Fitzgerald, but haven't had any success other than just finding clips and whatnot. [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
Well said Deb and I fail to understand how a presumably keen Lightfoot fan like James can admit to having to resort to trying to find mp3s of TWOTEF to download, his Lightfoot CD collection must be truly abysmal not to include this because it appears in no less than three different recordings on so many albums.

Regarding mp3s ,I have to say that IMHO that the sharing of these amongst dedicated fans who usually buy every authorised item they can is a world of difference to the regular activities of a small number of people around who make an income by peddling "unauthorised" items on ebay. In this regard you might care to read my posting today on my "ebay" topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=1;t=003666
which highlights recent and current activity in the UK
John Fowles

[ May 02, 2006, 10:04: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #42
SilverHeels

I am sure James lives in Georgia!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #43
Rosanna

I'm on the fence with this topic. I've stated my opinion on downloading many times, in different threads. As a DJ, I have to pay licensing fees for my music. Many songs, however, are simply not available to buy any longer. Even if you agree to buy a song for 0.99 cents from a provider, it is sometimes hard to find. If I find it for free on another program, I'll take it. I needed a copy of Spin Spin, and recently a member here sent me a copy. I couldn't find it anywhere. Does that make us pirates, I don't think so. As for artists losing money on music sales, and I truly believe they are, look at concert ticket prices, and souvenier prices lately, they are compensating, and so they should. I get the just of what Florian has to say . Just because millions of people do it, it doesn't make it right, and she's right, but this is a problem that will not go away until the record company's stop going after individuals, and start going after the bigger fish. Who are the bigger fish? Microsoft for allowing p2p sharing. Sony for being a leading manufacturer of blank Cd's. How funny is that. Sony Music, a major record producer, also sells, in quantities in the millions, blank Cd's. I pay for my music, 99% of the time. Many get there music for free, 99% of the time. Someone has to step up to the plate and make it impossible for illegal downloading, create a universal downloading site, drop the price to 50 cents per song, make every song ever recorded (within reason) available, and make each copy CD quality. There are a couple of good sites that do this, but it could be so much better, if the record company's back it...100% It's nice to go out and buy a whole album, especially if it's an artist like GL. If I hear a tune from some new performer on the radio, and I like it, but it turns out it's the only decent tune on the album......well,you know the rest.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #44
Doug Letcher

I'm on the fence with this topic. I've stated my opinion on downloading many times, in different threads. As a DJ, I have to pay licensing fees for my music. Many songs, however, are simply not available to buy any longer. Even if you agree to buy a song for 0.99 cents from a provider, it is sometimes hard to find. If I find it for free on another program, I'll take it. I needed a copy of Spin Spin, and recently a member here sent me a copy. I couldn't find it anywhere. Does that make us pirates, I don't think so. As for artists losing money on music sales, and I truly believe they are, look at concert ticket prices, and souvenier prices lately, they are compensating, and so they should. I get the just of what Florian has to say . Just because millions of people do it, it doesn't make it right, and she's right, but this is a problem that will not go away until the record company's stop going after individuals, and start going after the bigger fish. Who are the bigger fish? Microsoft for allowing p2p sharing. Sony for being a leading manufacturer of blank Cd's. How funny is that. Sony Music, a major record producer, also sells, in quantities in the millions, blank Cd's. I pay for my music, 99% of the time. Many get there music for free, 99% of the time. Someone has to step up to the plate and make it impossible for illegal downloading, create a universal downloading site, drop the price to 50 cents per song, make every song ever recorded (within reason) available, and make each copy CD quality. There are a couple of good sites that do this, but it could be so much better, if the record company's back it...100% It's nice to go out and buy a whole album, especially if it's an artist like GL. If I hear a tune from some new performer on the radio, and I like it, but it turns out it's the only decent tune on the album......well,you know the rest.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #45
<Reminder>

I'm teetering on the fence with you.

I think the 50 cents per song idea is a good one.
Your point about SONY is also well taken. It's hard to figure where the boundaries between "piracy" and "exposure" lie.

There is a difference between MP3s and the "full" versions, and even this hearing impaired soul can hear it.

RMD
Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #46
<Reminder>

I'm teetering on the fence with you.

I think the 50 cents per song idea is a good one.
Your point about SONY is also well taken. It's hard to figure where the boundaries between "piracy" and "exposure" lie.

There is a difference between MP3s and the "full" versions, and even this hearing impaired soul can hear it.

RMD
Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #47
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverHeels:
I am sure James lives in Georgia!
what makes you say that?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #48
SilverHeels

I think I could be psychic :D
Old 05-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #49
spammer

hmm, I'll bet you live in the UK. Am I right, or are my psychic powers on the fritz? LOL