banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #26
Peter Bro10

Default Re: BBC Concert 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
They probably didn't think he was doing anything (judging by the ever pleasant casual look on his face) and the fact that he rarely looked at his fret board...how did he do that?
My thoughts exactly! How on earth did he do that??? My respect for Red ratcheted up several notches!!!

Was he thinking about what he was playing or what he might order for dinner later that night?

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
Peter Bro10

Hey folks,
I've put together a nice little DVD (slim case style) cover to go with this awesome video. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll shoot it back to you. Artwork is comprised of image grabs from the video, along with the setlist on the back. Oh, and it's in pdf format, complete with crop (trim) marks.

Peter Bro10
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #28
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
Hey folks,
I've put together a nice little DVD (slim case style) cover to go with this awesome video. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll shoot it back to you.
I got one and it is very nice. Thanks Peter!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
Peter Bro10

Thought I might post a quick pic of what the finished product looks like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0242.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	4283  

Peter Bro10
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Without going into detail I'll just say I was able to use appropriate software to re-encode the PAL info into a NTSC format. Several members here have received the resulting discs and are quite satisfied with the results.

I'm not selling or trading but if any of you are interested in an NTSC disc, let me know via PM (private message in the upper right hand corner of this window) and I think I can help you out.
Quite by chance I happenned to be upon the amazon.co.uk website looking for Lightfoot stuff and was amazed to find them offering a quasi-official copy of the 1972 concert which I found was (at least in the copy I received from them in NTSC format)
albeit with a title taken from one of the more memorable tracks on it
"Talking In Your Sleep" (a.k.a. the "Pick a Potato" song)
Anybody who does not know what I am talking aboot please go to
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/al...gY/discussiona
the presumably UK produced DVD should be of interest to any North American saddled with a DVD player that is unable to play PAL format discs such as the DVD as obtained originally via the torrent distribution (I know this includes a certain awesome Canadian guitarist who shares his surname with a famous Dam-busting World War two RAF bomber!!)
the DVD is shown at
www.amazon.co.uk/Gordon-Lightfoot-Talking-Your-Sleep/dp/B0060U9E4W/
one of the comments includes
"Gord doesn't talk much and unfortunately the camera guy doesn't know the difference between bass and lead guitar, so you miss seeing some fancy playing. "
it is also listed on the Canadian Amazon website
Gordon Lightfoot - Talking In Your Sleep:...Gordon Lightfoot - Talking In Your Sleep:... but they copped out:-
"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
I duly bought a copy at a cost of only £9.99 plus £3.08 shipping by airmail from the UK and was quite surprised to find that both the artwork and disc label stated that it is NTSC. as confirmed by analyses using the Gspot utility
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/811/h36l.jpg
Of couse it just might be that they produced both PAL and NTSC versions and sent me the appropriate one. although all of the DVD players I have access to can play both
I will also attach largish scans of the disc label and case insert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
and Gord would be foolish not to release this worldwide one day
yes well I guess that is just wishful thinking James
I found it interesting that the producers of the NTSC DVD go to extreme lengths in their insert blurb to explain their involvement and its legality

But what is glaringly evident is that the BBC were in no way involved in the issue of this DVD as any credit to the Beeb is conspicuously missing on this DVD wake up BBC!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	talking in your sleep dvd insert_640.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	6536   Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd0001.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	6537  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-20-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: refiised intro and added emphasis on NTSC
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
jj

"unfortunately the camera guy doesn't know the difference between bass and lead guitar"

yeah, really but perhaps there were many cameras and choices, yet it was the editor/producer who doesn't know the difference or what vintage footage of Red was overlooked throughout the show...wonder if the stock films lives on? it would be great to see this all recut - + get rid if the overdone, long shots of GL
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #32
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T. View Post
and by the way, how was that possible, I thought you clips that long weren't allowed on youtube??).Andy T.
Great comment/question Android,and one that I asked myself as I found an increasing number of what appeared to be quite ordinary YouTube members uploading a large number of videos that were very much larger than the apparent maximum length of 15 minutes (earlier it had been only 10 minutes and there were several instances of longer videos being split into 10 minute parts to comply one in particular was a series of eight parts of a 1942 black and white filmed version of one of my favourite Nevil Shute novels "Pied Piper" "8 videos 1 hour, 26 minutes" although somebody else had then created a YouTube playlist which causes the eight parts to play sequentially.The complete playlist version then had a different URL to any of the constituent parts,
As an experiment I pasted tha URL into a new thread on the Test Forum that I called enticingly "youtube playlists" at:-
http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...light=playlist
the experiment inexplicably dismally failed even though the system worked on the actual youtube page.
Yet I kept seeing longer videos especially the two 30 minute parts of this 1972 concert broadcast by the BBC in 2011.
I actually found one optimistic devoted country music fan who had successfully uploaded a mammoth compilation video of his selection of highlights from 7 years of the annual CMA Awards TV show as a single seven hour video!! and there are many complete movies up there too
I could only assume that the people uploading these longer items must have shelled out big bucks to Mr Google to become special "Partners" or something.
But there were so many and there appeared to be no references for such a procedure, that I could find, anyway
I refused to be beaten and after a modicum of determined searching eventually I found the answer carefully and almost obscurely hidden in my video manager's dashboard
I found that my three previous copyright transgressions had now "expired" so that I was now again a YouTube member in "good standing" and by simply checking a checkbox I enabled the uploading of longer videos. to celebrate I uploaded a sample 50 minute documentary of inspired insanity on The Goons (a 1950's British BBC comedy radio program that enthralled me in my teen years and inspired much of the comedy that followed especially Monty Python and the Laugh In)
I started yet another Test Forum thread to test this video and called it irresistably I fondly thought "Video Test" at:-
http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...ght=video+test
Nobody but nobody replied to it.
I fully intended to follow up myself knowing that at least one corfiddler had asked how it was possible to exceed the 10/15 minute limit
I searched the Forums fo a suitable quote to respond to but the relatively inefficient search system here failed me
I was therefore very pleased when this topic was recycled and I could respond to Android's poser.
Finally if anybody fals to locate YouTube's vital check box please ask me for detailed instructions I have already made suitable navigational screenshots

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-18-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: tidying up
Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
johnfowles

To complete the picture I have now received a second DVD from the same source this time a retitled copy of the 1979 PBS Soundstage recording which merits the same criticism that is usually made about the bootleg copy floating round.
It looks very much as though the digital "rip" was made from a 4th or 5th generation copy of an original VHS tape recording off air,not that it in my opinion seriously detracts from the value of this recording, and you soon get used to a seriously redhaired GL!
Even worse of course was the PBS video preparation crew's abysmal ignorance about
Gord's music so that it has an unforgiveably truncated Trilogy
As you can see from the artwork that I will be attaching the company that has made this version fails to make any mention of the video source being either PBS or Soundstage
They presumably took the name "Troubadour " from the PBS announcer's introduction
"If the word troubadour can be applied to 20th century music at all, then Gordon Lightfoot is a troubadour: perhaps the last one we shall ever see"
All the more strange then that, possibly to remove any mention of PBS or Soundstage for legal reasons (??) the entire opening sequence that is on the bootleg has been cut so that the DVD starts with Gord already singing Cotton Jenny.
The Amazon uk page is at:-
Gordon Lightfoot - Troubadour / Live:...Gordon Lightfoot - Troubadour / Live:... the price of £9.99 plus £1.26 UK delivery (£3.08 to the States ) is the same as for the Talking In You Sleep DVD
But unlike that DVD's artwork the fact that this is an NTSC DVD is omitted
(although allegedly all UK and European spec DVD players can handle both PAL and NTSC formats)
It is sometimes stated that North American players cannot play PAL DVDs which I know is patently untrue

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	troubadour disc .jpg
Views:	548
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	6618   Click image for larger version

Name:	troubadour_Insert.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	6619  

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-28-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #34
charlene

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #35
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
BBC studios - London, England - recorded spring 1972, aired later in 1972 from what I understand..
No actually recorded during his London visit in early (??) 1971
then broadcast in 2 sections the first on 22 January 1972 which I watched and got a friend to record just 2 songs (audio only) on an audio cassette tape recorder
my earlier posting (number 30 in fact) had included an image of the dvd case disclaimer that was stored on the now defunct free service provided by imageshack.us so I have just reuploaded it to my own web site as a safer long term repository.Yer Tis:-

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-18-2017 at 04:16 PM.