banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
buzzard

Default Meadowbrook July 23

Hi Folks:

Just returned from the concert at Meadowbrook. The crowd was a bit small – the place holds about 7,700 and there were probably 4,500-5,000 there tonight. But Lightfoot was in good voice and in good spirits. The setlist was as follows:

TRIANGLE
COTTON JENNY
14 KARAT GOLD
NEVER TOO CLOSE
LET IT RIDE
PAINTER PASSING THROUGH
SPANISH MOSS
SHADOWS
BEAUTIFUL
CAREFREE HIGHWAY
HANGDOG HOTEL ROOM
RIBBON OF DARKNESS
SUNDOWN
THE WATCHMAN’S GONE
Intermission
WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD
RING NECK LOON
PONY MAN
CLOUDS OF LONELINESS
WAITING FOR YOU
IF CHILDREN HAD WINGS
IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND
BABY STEP BACK
RESTLESS
EARLY MORNIN’ RAIN
SONG FOR A WINTER’S NIGHT
OLD DAN’S RECORDS

At least 5 or 6 times he told the crowd “You’re wonderful” and mentioned how pleased they were to be touring. He introduced the band really early (after about the fourth song), then about half way through the second set, said ”How about another round for this group of musicians”. Before Ring Neck Loon he asked if anyone new what the call of a loon sounded like, there were several efforts from the crowd – most of them were lame, but a couple were pretty good (listen to the start of Canary Yellow Canoe). He said he asked the audience in Phoenix if they new what a loon sounded like and "they didn't know what the hell to say". Anyway, he invited the crowd to chime in with loon calls during the song, then said “We may regret this”. After he sang “Hear the call of the ring neck loon”, he’d kind of lean forward and raise his eyebrows and on would come the loon calls – kind of strange but interesting.

He made several references to his first ex old lady and his second ex old lady. At one point, several people yelled out requests for Daylight Katy. He strummed a bit of it and sang a few words very low, then said “I wrote that one for a lover who is in Florida – I had a child with her”. I’m assuming he meant Cathy Coonley.

That’s about all of the highlights I recall. All in all it was a great night. I’m looking forward to the next show, in November, at Massey Hall.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
formerlylavender

Default Re: Meadowbrook July 23

Sounds like Gord was in good form. Interesting comments on stage especially about the loon/Daylight Katy. I'm glad you had a great time.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Moosedog

Glad you had a great time!
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
charlene

thanks for the report and set list. sounds like Gord's enjoying himself!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Peter Bro10

Thanks for the report Brian, and glad you had a good time...
Being a weeknight, I'm sure that it's more difficult to "pack the house", still sounds like a pretty good turn out to me.
Glad to see Ponyman in the line-up!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
podunklander

All sounds very great Brian...thanks for sharing !!! That's really a great turnout and probably more than that chilly Sept. eve at Meadow brook back in 2007!! Nice venue
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
buzzard

It is a very nice venue. It seems to me like there were fewer people last night than that really chilly Sept night in 2007. But last night was a bright night and later until sunset and a late arriving crowd, so the empty seats may have just seemed more conspicuous.

Anyway, I do recall another amusing comment. As usual, throughout the show people would yell "We love you Gord!". He would smile and sometimes say thanks or we love you too. At one point the guy right in front of me bellowed "We love you Rick". Without missing a beat, Lightfoot glanced at his bass player and said "Lets just keep that secret". I thought that was kind of funny.

Brian
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It is a very nice venue. It seems to me like there were fewer people last night than that really chilly Sept night in 2007. But last night was a bright night and later until sunset and a late arriving crowd, so the empty seats may have just seemed more conspicuous.

Anyway, I do recall another amusing comment. As usual, throughout the show people would yell "We love you Gord!". He would smile and sometimes say thanks or we love you too. At one point the guy right in front of me bellowed "We love you Rick". Without missing a beat, Lightfoot glanced at his bass player and said "Lets just keep that secret". I thought that was kind of funny.

Brian
LMAO omg that is so funny !!!
Glad the weather was better!!! That 2007 show was excellent...despite being chilly and it was also the 1st time I was seated in the front row . Was it still $10 to park?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
buzzard

YUP $10 to park. $8 for beer. Good times!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
gwenagain

Send a message via Yahoo to gwenagain

The show was great and very interesting comments on manysongs. To me it seems Gord is becoming more "accessible" to his audience. His comments before "If Children Had Wings" were rather sad, mentioning his "ex- old lady left him and took the children to France for 2 years. He wrote the song while traveling on the Concord to visit them.
Wish I could post some of the video clips my daughter took of the event. It was a perfect summer evening. There was a young woman taking pictures in front of me with a rather inexpensive digital and she was getting some good shots of Gord and the guys.