banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Martyn Miles

Default gord's Gold vol II

I've just bought, on eBay in the UK, a mint/unplayed copy of Gord's Gold II. I had it on vinyl in the early '80s ( I think it was ) and got rid of it to buy the CD. Bad move... As I own a superb turntable system I love vinyl. But will I unpack it and play it?! Martyn Miles .
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: gord's Gold vol II

Well...there will no longer be a quandary if you do what you know you MUST . Go for it Martyn! That's what is was made for (both the LP and the turntable!!) enjoy, enjoy
Old 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well you could sell it and buy back the vinyl ! Or just unwrap it and get on with it, eh ? Keep us posted on how you make out.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Hi Martyn Miles,

If you have a "superb turntable system", dont get rid of your fav LP's... Because to me vinyl is the best. Many artist are now recording LP's again.

You can see it's making a comeback, just by watching your Late Night talk shows. When Jay, Dave, Conan and others introduce their music acts, very often now they have an LP instead of a CD. Sometimes both...

I have never sold any of my Lightfoot LP's, and do still play them from time to time .
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
geodeticman.5

Oh Martyn I knowwwww the agony and the ecstasy... say isn't that a movie with that histrionic , but Good actor Charleton Heston, and who can argue with Moses ? - lots of ppl , I know ..lol) .anyhoo I have had the EXACT dillemna you have , many times now.

You know, before the advent of the big box stores (most of whom in general merch like Waltonmarters don't carry any GL except GG1 REpackaged, and THE "AS SEEN ON TV" Rhino Lightfoot's Greatest Hits - actually - a good one, with Restless at the end - superb..., beyond that, its music stores around here.

Point Being - you get that itch late in the PM when stores are closed other than aforementioned, and you HAVE to listen to GL, as was last the case for me, Painter, and I could not for the LIFE of me find my "in use copy" (I'm sure you have your own schema too in house )....and soo....there it loomed....in my den, snowshoes, ice axe, and rope on the panelled wall, and there it was, at the foot of my "wall dedicated to the outdoors' - and , I'd imagine you'll understand, at the base of THIS wall, was my treasure chest.

A real, honest -to-goodness wooden tambour-topped hardwood treasure-style chest, domed top, heavy antique brass latches; collection of my finest folded maps, misc geo-locale-pertinant memories, keepsakes, and memories of, photos, all outdoor related, and...my EMERGANCY back-up copies of Lightfoot CD's, unopened sealed Jewel-cases, you know the drill, opening one of those was akin to lighing your last flame-proof at 14,000 feet, in the winter, in the cold, in the snow, in the dark (OK ok OK lol enough with the Hemingway thing).

Well. I HAD to hear Drifters for some reason, burning its grooves into my frontal lobe until I found a copy to play, but nooooo not the emergancy copy... what if they...what if they don't print anymore, or I go broke, a second depression (- other than the one we're in). I HAVE...TO... HEAR...IT... between grit-teeth. I'm hollerin to family -"Go. Go I say, save yourselves, opening this chest will unleash the wrath of the ...(you get the idea again).

And there it was, on top of the heap, light glinting from my suspended world globe ceiling light (no mappy jibes now please lol), and ...to open it.. oh the humanity of it all... to ruin my "save forever unopened copy" .....- the one for when the world collapses until Charleton Heston can save us, and he needs the work anyway...bad.... and exchangeable commodities such as potable water, freeze-dried food, airtights, gold bullion, Sacajawea US Gold dollars ($25 U.S. a roll of 25 when I bought them mint fresh inner-crimped tubes of 'em, now they are worth $40 a PIECE !!) well in that melange of worthy valuables that might someday save my daughter's life, or mine..... I still had to open it..

Sure, sure, I rationalized, who doesn't ? Its so eeaaasssy...."I'll buy a new CD of it tomorrow at Bogey's - local hard-to-find music shop) or Chuck'll order me one... yeah thats it, thats the ticket...zzzzip goes the wrapping, now I'm committed..... sinking visceral feeling and adrenaline pumping, fight-or-flight setting in....... what have I done... its like....finding the Grail, and taking the pull-tab for your chain of pull-tabs hanging in your dorm-room, and discarding ...the GRAIL...WHAT HAVE I DONE....then I start my histrionics (start?) and start talking in a..stilted...sort..of William...Shatner.....mouth open first for three seconds forming the word w...w....why did..I...do that ?

Because my colleagues, and fellow corfidites, it was a Lightfoot moment.... I had to hear it.... on ITS media.... did it occur to me I had it on hard drive in my Mega all Lightfoot file ? AND BACKUP ??? (HEY, MEMORY IS CHEAP)...no......becauseit wasn;t a record or cd..thats..why....sweating, frantically trying to fumble-fingers through to meticulously hold only the edges of the CD...beyond respect, no, partially shame because it was my emergancy backup... I drop to my knees and shake my fist at the Heavens... Why ? Why DID i DO IT ?..... slumped....because...its...Lightfoot....thats why....

So, having done it, eating cheetohs later in the Lazy Boy, APPT wafting cerebrally thru the house and repairing my etched frontal lobe that had had no Lighftoot from APPT in at least 7 days.... it could have been a 911 phone call for EMT's...but I found it in time..

I understand, Martyn. Go for it. If not to enjoy, then for what ? What would HE say ? PLay it, my son, for I recorded it, that you may open it, and listen to my words, and hear them,and the capo'd miner 7's so prevalent in my work.....let is restoreth you, let it bring life-giving soul healing to you....And....rocketh on Dude...its just music, and I'm just the guy once desribed as "The singing Everyman that appeals to all of us, as one of us, but with remarkable talents..." - all these sage words, coming right from the sky as a refrain ..somehow... it was Gord talking from overhead all along....... this house has been made full of humanity again....nothing serious enough that the REAL voice from ..you know... up there.... lol... . No, this was a human frailty that a simple posession would take care of...just Gord, not the big guy....still. If I coulf have captured that on the Nakameechi...think of the Ebay price it would...NOno don't think of it.... a genuine Lightfoot moment... one must not lesson it or deny it IS sacrosanct...lol..

I hear ya Martyn..lol.. as BILLW said, keep us posted....OK ?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
timetraveler

If you don't unwrap it & play it, then I'd recommend that you buy the CD copy of it & give it a listen. It has some absolutly MARVELOUS tunes on it!
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote