banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Hamilton Spectator Articles-Dec.2004 - yes two of them!!!

Well after reading through both the article as it appears on Wayne Francis'
site and as reproduced "as is" by Cathy here and by Auburn Annie on corfid I
realised that there were a couple of non-sequiturs due to a number of
missing lines. it is most likely therefore that the source material for all
three of these honourable people may well be have been the on-line version
of the articleand that kit has lines omitted but it seems that the Spectator
on-line archives can only be viewed on line by subscribers, I tried signing
up for a "free 14 day trial" using my Hamilton hotel address but found
that that needs 48 hours for the account to be activated . So stuff that for
a bunch of bananas! Fortunately we purchased the hard copy a.k.a.
Newspaper whilst in Hamilton so I can see what should have appeared this
shows that Wayne et al have indeed omitted several lines. Thanks to the
miracle of Optical Character Recognition I have now scanned the original
and got the following complete text

Lightfoot back in fine form and '...feeling no pain" for HHS benefit

BY GRAHAM ROCKINGHAM
The staff of McMaster University Medical Centre got to see the product of
their handiwork last night as Gordon Lightfoot performed his first complete
concert since being struck down by a near fatal aneurism more than two years
ago.
And what they saw was a chatty Lightfoot, full of vitality, singing new
songs and legendary hits with a surprisingly strong voice.
Lightfoot performed the first of two sold-out benefit concerts dedicated to
the hospital that helped nurse the 66*year-old Canadian folk icon back to
health. The second, scheduled for tonight, will likely be Lightfoot's last
until he plays Toronto's Massey Hall in May.
Halfway through his 80-minute show, Lightfoot paused to personally thank Dr.
Michael Marcaccio, the surgeon who performed several opera*tions on him
during a 13 -week period in the fall of 2002.
"I had a wonderful experience there:' Lightfoot said before playing Sundown,
with its "I'm feeling no pain" chorus. "I've said it before and I'll say it
again, it's a family atmosphere there....
"Thank you, everyone at McMaster!'
Complete paragraph here
--------------------------
Lightfoot and his band took the stage to a standing ovation and then broke
into Spanish Moss from the 1976 album Summertime Dream. It was the first of
many ciassics spanning the Lightfoot songbook, including Minstrel of the
Dawn, Rainy Day People, Cotton Gin*ny, a near-perfect rendition of The Wreck
of the EdmundFitzgerald and an outstanding Early Morning Rain, as an
encore.
----------------
During the concert's opening songs he seemed frustrated with his guitar
playing - "my fingers are not yet talking to me;' he told the crowd - and at
times was a bit rusty on some of the lyrics.
But the crowd was more than forgiving, happy just to have their idol on
stage again. ,
As the evening progressed, Lightfoot's voice grew stronger and more
confident, so that by the time he sang Sit Down Young Stranger and If You
Could Read My Mind, it was like listen*ing to Lightfoot of 30 years ago.
His vocals were particularly strong on three songs from Harmony, an album
that he pieced together from his hospital bed from rehearsal tapes he had
recorded at Hamilton's
Grant Avenue studios before his illness.

Complete paragraph here
--------------------------
"When I was working on my record in ward 4- Z, a couple of nurses stuck
their heads in and said 'Gee, we like that song:"
Lightfoot said while introducing River of Light, a song never before
performed live. "So we've worked extra hard on this one!'
-------------------------------
Lightfoot is donating the net proceeds from the two concerts - which could
total as much as $100,000 - to the Hamilton Health Sciences Founda*tion.
As well, about 100 tickets were given free to hospital staff who were
involved in Lightfoot's care at the McMaster site.
"Sure there will be some cash going to the hospital," Lightfoot said in a
brief interview before the show. "But more importantly, I want people to
think of this as a gesture of thanks to them, a dedication!'

I noted that in particular Gord said Ward 4-Zed (none of this namby pamby
Amerlish 4 Zee nonsense!!)(are you listening Bru a.k.a Bee Zee for some odd
reason) even Char eventually albeit rather grudgingly agreed with me that
Canadians use the correct version!!
John Fowles
Now to OCR the companion Saturday Spectator article so watch this space

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 01, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
johnfowles

On Sunday morning November 28th we and a few other fans arrived at our hotel very near to the Hamilton Convention Centre and began exploring the adjacent shopping Mall. Much to our surprise we espied a few copies in the neighbouring shop of the Saturday November 27th issue of the Hamilton Spectator with a picture of Gord on page 1 and a delightful write-up inside
This was the picture

and the following text was alongside the picture:-

NOTE
before I go any further I must state that the spectator’s text above and below and the picture/panel below are clearly Copyright the Hamilton Spectator but since the equivalent items are not readily viewable now on-line and as our group bought a few trees worth of their newspaper I trust that anyone from the Newspaper who reads this will forgive this transgression.
if not please e-mail me and I will delete the whole topic immediately

BY GRAHAM ROCKINGHAM
In the days before Gordon Lightfoot's release from McMaster University Medical Centre, hospital officials began thinking up ways of getting the legendary Canadian folk singer out their doors without creating a commotion.
There was so much hype surrounding his admission 13 weeks earlier, that they feared word would leak out creating an ugly scene of press and fans.
"Someone even made the suggestion that the ambulance could go to the loading dock so we could let him quietly slip out the back door:' recalled Leslie
Gauthier, who was manager of the hospital's cardio-respiratory care unit at the time of Lightfoot's stay.
But Lightfoot would have none of that.
He wanted to walk out the front door of the hospital on his own two legs.
It was very important to him that he walk out that front door himself.
"He was very determined to be self- sufficient going home:' Gauthier said.
Soon after, Gauthier chatted with Lightfoot on the phone
Lightfoot (continued on Page G10)
I'll OCR the main page tomorrow so keep a lookout for it!!
John Fowles

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 01, 2004).]
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Sheryl Klein

Cool, John, - THANKS!!

Sheryl
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Borderstone

I think this coverage were getting here of Gordon's return is better than anything "Entertainment Tonight" could ever do!

This kind of comeback is so newsworthy but I guess to get on ET you have to have recovered from some kind of addiction or dietary problem to get talked about in the U.S. anymore. Not to mention...young.

Great stuff John! Keep it up!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
charlene

it has to be ZEE! it rhymes with T-U-VEE and next time won't you sing with MEE!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Betty

This kind of comeback is so newsworthy but I guess to get on ET you have to have recovered from some kind of addiction or dietary problem to get talked about in the U.S. anymore. Not to mention...young.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting you would say this...bad enough he didn't get mentioned on U.S. television, butI usually watch E-Talk Daily (Canada's entertainment program) and they haven't mentioned Gord's triumphant return. I sent them an e-mail yesterday telling them how appalled I was that they never even mentioned Gordon's return to the stage! They should be reprimanded.

------------------
Betty
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #7
TheWatchman

E! sucks! If you're not young and pretty, been arrested, caught stealing etc. you won't get mentioned. Gord is none of those so I'm not surprised. As usual, the best musicians don't get nearly enough (if any) airtime on the radio and the truly important news from the entertainment industry doesn't get talked about.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
Lightfoot (continued on Page G10)
I'll OCR the main page tomorrow so keep a lookout for it!!
John Fowles

OK Yer Tis Wonderful stuff thanks a gazillion The Hamilton Spectator Enjoy!!!!
Page A10 was headed by this fine picture of Dr Marcaccio

caption: Dr Michael Marcaccio, who operated on Gordon Lightfoot, said the shows will help staff see some patients make a comeback
then the heading

LIGHTFOOT

Caregivers among concert-goers

continued from (page) A1

"He wanted me to know that he had been sitting in his family room playing his guitar:' she said. "The first thing he did when he got home that night was pick up his guitar!'
That was almost two years ago - Dec. 12, 2002. It was something that many of the more than 200 or so caregivers, who were directly or indirectly involved in Lightfoot's care never expected. Indeed, it was a miracle that Lightfoot survived at all. The abdominal aneuri(y)sm that struck him down Sept. 7, 2002, very nearly killed him.
"On a scale from one-to-10, this was a 12," says Dr. Michael Marcaccio, chief of surgery for Hamilton Health Sciences, when asked to describe Lightfoot's illness. "It was certainly one of the most complex overall cases we've ever had to deal with. It's hard to be more sick in any way possible."

Marcaccio, who operated on Lightfoot several times during that initial stay, and Gauthier, the nurse manager of the ward in which he spent much of his time, were both at Lightfoot's side when he left the hospital.
They'll also be among the more than 100 caregivers attending two sold -out benefit concerts Lightfoot is performing tomorrow and Monday at Hamilton Place, in appreciation of the work they did during his many visits to the hospital over the past two years.
The shows are Lightfoot's first full concerts in over two years and the only ones he will play until the spring. Net proceeds from the more than 4,000 tickets sold at a top price of $39.50 will go to the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation, the fundraising arm for the four hospital sites, including McMaster, which make up Hamilton Health Sciences. .
But for the hospital staff directly involved in his care, it'll be enough just to be able to see their "special patient" back on stage. Lightfoot made sure they all got free tickets.

Nurse Lois Roberts has been a Light*foot fan since high school. She remembers skipping class in Grade 13 from Burlington Central to see a Lightfoot show at Toronto's Massey Hall. She.even named her first son, Gordon.
When Lightfoot came for an extend*ed stay in the ward in which she works, 4- Z, she was simply awestruck.
"l had to wake him up but I didn't 'know what to call him:' she says about their first meeting. "I tried Mr. Light*foot but he wouldn't answer to that. So I tried Gord. He didn't answer to that, either. I tried Gordie and when his eyes popped open, I was so embarrassed. It sounded like I was calling my son. I never did get over the fact that it was Gordie Lightfoot there!'
It didn't take long for Roberts and "Gordie" to bond. Roberts knew most of his songs by heart, and she'd use them to raise his spirits.
then a nice picture of this nurse

remainder of the caption:
Gordon Lightfoot and used his songs and lyrics to inspire his recovery. She
even named her son after Lightfoot..

One day I could see he was kind of upset that he was taking so long to re*cover and I said 'Oh, it's not the Carefree Highway you thought it was going to be'

He just looked at me and then he got this big grin on his face!'
Roberts has many fond memories of Lightfoot. Like the time he sang Leonard Cohen's Sisters of Mercy 'o her and another nurse. It was an a capella version since Lightfoot never had his guitar at the hospital. And his voice was admittedly a little shaky, but it was pure gold to Roberts. There was also the time she cajoled him into shaving by telling him he was starting to look like Willie Nelson.
He looks at me and says: 'What's wrong with that? Willie is a great guy!
'Well, I'm sure he is: I said, 'but he has his look and you have yours. And if you don't shave today, I'm bringing you a bandanna tomorrow!" ,
Lightfoot used to wander the hospi*tal halls a lot, especially in the morn*ings when the nurses came to do his blood work. Roberts could usually find him down the hall sitting in a window where the sun shone brightest.
If he writes a song about 4-Z, I hope he writes about sitting in that morning sunbeam
instead of those soiled linen bags he kept teasing us about.

We kept asking, 'Are you going to write a song about us, Gord?' And he kept telling us,
'Yeah, I'm going to write about the soiled linen bags in the hallway!"

Roberts is seeing Lightfoot both. nights - tomorrow with her friends from the hospital and on Monday with her husband who bought her two tick*ets for her birthday.

Lightfoot is a bit of a family institu*tion in the Gauthier household. Leslie's husband, Joe, had a tradition of singing their five children to sleep with the 1976 Lightfoot song I'm Not Supposed to Care. It's a tender song about a father's unconditional love for his son.
When Gauthier's youngest son Christopher, eight then, came to visit his mother at the hospital, Lightfoot was there. Gauthier introduced Christopher to her "special patient:'
"I said, 'Chris, I want you to tell Gor*don what song Daddy sings to you when you go to bed'
chris says "I don't know its name but it goes like this...' well all of a sudden Gordie starts to sing along.. I looked at Chris and his eyes got bigger.
"I asked him, 'Who sings it better. Dad or Gord?' (Lightfoot) looked at my son and said 'Christopher it doesn't matter who's better
* what matters is that there's someone in your life that takes the time to sing it to you!'"
The Gauthiers are going en masse to see Lightfoot Monday. Leslie reckons her husband bought 14 tickets. 'Christopher, now 10, hopes he sings I'm Not Supposed to Care.

Dr. Marcaccio is one of the most respected surgeons in the country.
Just about everyone you talk to at the hospital says Marcaccio was the key person in Lightfoot's recovery. Lightfoot was lucky, they say, Marcaccio was available the night the artery began to rupture in his abdomen.
But Marcaccio insists it was a team effort, with as many as 140 hospital staff involved just at the bedside level. It's the sort of attention any patient in Lightfoot's condiition could expect to receive at McMaster, he says. Sure there were a few extras thrown in, press conferences and extra security.
But he believes Lightfoot's care was typical.
He's glad the concerts are giving the hospital some recognition for the work that goes on there every day, largely unnoticed. It's a huge morale boost for the staff - to be able to see a patient, in such dire straits at the beginning, recover so fully.
"It's particularly good for the people in the intensive care unit, who never saw him at his best", Marcaccio says "Seeing him back on stage is going terrific for them, with that sort of seemingly hopeless or monumental challenge that they saw. It will let them see that some of these patients do get back to their life
"It's what keeps health providers going!'

grockingham@thespec.com <mailto:grockingham@thespec.com>
905-526-3331

John Fowles

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 02, 2004).]
Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
jj

thanks for all your work as always, JF

ps) thumbs up to CHTV (ONTV?), for what it's worth was showing Gord live clips all Monday morning, but that's no good to non-locals, eh?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by jj:

ps) thumbs up to CHTV (ONTV?), for what it's worth was showing Gord live clips all Monday morning, but that's no good to non-locals,
eh?

Only good if you taped it JJ!!(hint hint)

Further to my main efforts
There is one amazing side observation to be made
It took me a while to realise that the compositor at The Spectator who created Saturday's front page graphic must be a kindred spirit as he/she chose pretty well the identical colo(u)r scheme that I had adopted (from a New Jersey University sign
board) for the name badges we sent to all who attended the Sunday pre concert meal
compare the two!!

copyright the Hamilton Spectator 2004

Copyright John Fowles 2004
I meant to say in my earlier "thoughts" topic that almost everybody we had on our joint Newsgroup/corfid list turned up at
Walt's Beanery to make a most successful and lively pre-concert gathering, even if the majority had to be told to repin the badge on the correct side of their body
Geddit???
John Fowles

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 02, 2004).]
Old 12-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by jj:
thanks for all your work as always, JF

ps) thumbs up to CHTV (ONTV?), for what it's worth was showing Gord live clips all Monday morning, but that's no good to non-locals, eh?

I dunno, for us non-locals who were in town Monday morning it was pretty cool eh?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
bjb

Hi John,
Thanks for the fabulous newspaper info! It was such a great story and pictures that I phoned the paper to order back copies...

BJ
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
charlene

Not ONE Toronto paper had a damned thing about the shows! I am completely p.....d off!

aaarrrgghhhH!!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #14
Sheryl Klein

they're just jealous!!

John, fabulous effort, as usual. THANKS so much for the newspaper article!!

Sheryl
Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
jj

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
[QUOTE]
1) Only good if you taped it JJ!!(hint hint)

2) even if the majority had to be told to repin the badge on the correct side of their body
Geddit???

1) no go, jf, unfortunately... but wish i could have returned the favour of all yours and Susan's work by having done so, agh

naw, i stayed at the Go (Good) Hotel in Hamilton where they had no VCR to TV setup

when i awoke to the GL clips, i checked the setup and was in no shape to bend and squeeze behind that TV and deal with ins and outs and reds and whites and yellows, etc, etc... it was the Go Hotel because i was treated Good at my inlaws considering I came in in the middle of the morning smelling of Keith's and they were Good enough to let me in... oh, it was I who was burnt out, not the lights, lol

the clips were just tiny and shown before each commercial break, but would have been a nice keepsake, glad Bill got to see them also

2) i guess i got that left vs right question wrong (i thought i'd done it right by wearing it over my heart like a poppy ) but you were too clever again on that challenge

i actually whispered to someone at the table that i didn't even know those song lyrics too well cos i skip over that FB tune mostly on the CD ...then i asked if i was allowed to say something like that/confession at a table full of rabid GL fans, yikes! i was told it was ok but i dunno, hmmm

cos when i returned for pre-gig beers everyone was GONE (i though they were up to a gag and hiding), probably offended and wanted to clear out before i returned, lol... i even had a heck of a time finding folks in the lobby at intermission or after the show or even monday ...i was also shunned by two attractive young women and left holding one of the nameless woman's slinky, shiney gloves and red feminine hat most of the night ...of course, luck had it that i ran into some Hamilton friends while holding that stuff, as a matter of fact, i doubt that they'll be "calling up this old friend again" now that they think i'm probably whistling a different tune these days, LOL

well, wish i could have hung longer with these great folks, Walt's was like a long table scene from the Last Supper, i just hope it's the First of many and that my timing's better

cheers all!
(even though there was nobody to clink my glass with, lol )

ps) bjb, lsh, just jokin but we need to talk, some technical difficulties encountered here
...btw, and i assume you guys ended up along Yonge St. at the Brass Rail, where all the young single dudes hang out?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #16
charlene

When Sir John gave me my badge in Wayne NJ a few weeks ago I had no idea what the Polar Bear was about....I had to admit it and then when he said "polar bears to the right" I immediately thought of Jimmy Buffett's "Fins" song- fins to the left, fins to the right!
lol
I still pinned it on the left side where I wear my poppy too!
lol
I'm glad Bonnie got her hat and gloves back! They really didn't suit you JJ!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #17
bjb

jj:
"i assume you guys ended up along Yonge St. at the Brass Rail, where all the young single dudes hang out? "

NOW you tell us!

So sorry about the hat, I thought it would end up in Harry's diaper bag...

Thanks Char for saving my fave hat for me
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #18
jj

holy, you never told me that you finally got them to her! i can finally get a good night's sleep, thank you, thank you, thank you

i thought they would be lost in the shuffle and i'd have to go out shopping downtown in Toronto (or worse yet, Edmonton! ) for replacements, well i didn't think it, i DREADED it!

i was sure i'd run into more former aquaintances (Toronto ones this time!) after buying the replacement hat and gloves, LOL!

ps) JF, ok, i've now listened to Flying Blind several times since i've been back home, ok? btw, great badge design, and holy, you've even got it copyrighted
Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #19
bjb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jj:
i thought they would be lost in the shuffle and i'd have to go out shopping downtown in Toronto (or worse yet, Edmonton! ) for replacements

Hey jj,
that hat's one of a kind! You would have had to weave a new one or something!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 PM   #20
charlene

JJ - i TOLD you I'd get them back to her!
lol
I am a woman of my word!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #21
Rob1956

On the subject of the Toronto papers having nothing on Gord's return...let those of us south of the border know this...what's the relationship between the people of Hamilton vs. those in Toronto? Do those in Toronto view Hamiltonians as "hicks" the way that New Yorkers view those of us in Chicago?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:04 PM   #22
LSH

hey jj, great to meet you also. nice hug. Your wife and son are beautiful and it was lovely to meet them both.

as for your technical difficulties, I had them also. I couldn't figure it out. Now it's your turn. counting on you to solve this one.

[This message has been edited by LSH (edited December 02, 2004).]
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #23
LSH

ps John, thank you so much for sharing the article. Wonderful staff there, on so many levels. Loved by all Lightfoot fans now, I'm sure.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:02 AM   #24
jj

first, to try get back on topic, Rob, char could answer this better (and i think she actually did in a Grey Cup thread) but yeah, kinda, but i think it's Hamiltonians who call Torontonians names more-so than vice versa...you wont' find hicks in Hamilton, you have to go east to Whitby to find those, lol!

bjb, but i didn't have a diaper bag when i came back but now that i think of it that would be a great way to bootleg a vid camera into that concert, i had a great gondola perch, darn! and i may yet knit you something, my feminine side is surfacing alot lately, lol

char, you may as honourable as they come and keep your word but secrets are a different story when it comes to females!

lsh, i'll pass along your SO kind words, i'm sure glad the hug happened cos as you were hugging goodbye i was only hugging hello, holy crap, talk about quick conversations! (fortunately ya didn't get snagged on my suspenders, i truly had them on for the occasion, lol)

psst, gentlemen, pics don't do justice, there are a handful of LOVELY single and sexy gals in the GL following (hey, and the married ones too!), problem is that ya probably gotta dressup like Gordo to get their attention at all! yeah, and our fearless leader, char truly looks like a million bucks, KEEP that haircut!

Jenney, i enjoyed briefly invading your New England space (man, i got a kick outta that line, lol) btw, those were great black evening threads that i'm sure also impressed GL

sorry to be singling out folks unfairly, but did want to ask if anyone knows if Gaby went home or is still in town, if so i hope she arrived safely and thanks for the good laffs

btw, aint Jonh and Susan, Dan and Nanci, Mike and his wife (from Sarnia) AND Melissa and Denny all wonderful couples? holy, i don't think they hang out here but Melissa is a big, big talent and Denny lied about only knowing 3 chords but i forgive him because he's probably the coolest cat i've met in years and i can't stop trying to immitate his infectious accent! it's weird but when Americans or UKers sing GL tunes they seem to lose their accents for some reason and i'ts not as funny to listen to, agh...i want you guys to send me tapes of you all just talking away, hear that jenney and lsh? )
Old 12-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #25
charlene

JJ - yes you are right - Hamiltonians are very mean to Torontonians but now that we have the Grey Cup again it is our turn!

Haven't heard from Gaby yet-maybe shee's out for a fag! Gaby-come back in here or you'll catch your death! Then you'll never make it back for Massey!

Yes - I will keep my haircut...it seems everyone but me loves it! It's going to be shorter in May tho....
lol

All of the lovely couples are great folks. Denny cracks me up-that accent coming out of that face does it to me everytime. And he never did get me drunk this time like he promised! ya can't trust them Texans! LOL

The dilemma of what to wear to a GL come-back show....this or that? or how about this new stuff I just bought in the mall downstairs??
lol
very dangerous to have a mall in the hotel....note to self...leave VISA at home next time....right Jenney???
too much fun, too little time....
can't wait for May!