banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: Pub Jam at McVeigh's 2018

THE HOUSE YOU LIVE IN
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #27
charlene

SPANISH MOSS
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #28
charlene

COLD ON THE SHOULDER
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #29
charlene

COTTON JENNY
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #30
charlene

EARLY MORNING RAIN
Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #31
lighthead2toe

Wow!
What a great package of videos Char put together here for us. Together with daughter, Lisa they both worked very had to help make the pub jam a special event. Lots of dedication here.
Many thanks guys.

Still in the midst of a heat wave that arrived Canada Day Weekend we ran the traditional pub jam event at McVeigh's so we'll try best to give a recap of the afternoon's events as they unfolded.
To help with running things a tad smoother on stage without too much distraction we recruited Jason LaPrade, a friend and popular Toronto music producer to take care of the stage work.

Turned out to be a good decision as Jason handled everything remotely so there was no time wasted juggling things around up there on the stage during the show. Everything ran real smooth and it reflected in the performances of the entertainers.

It was all there from Spin Spin to Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle to Baby Step Back, A Tree Too Weak To Stand, and all in between.

Folks were arriving and greeting one another with hugs as many of us hadn't seen each other since the previous event.

So it begins:

All the way up from Prince Edward Island, on the east coast of Canada and opening the show was Wayne Francis.

Wayne is a Lightfoot enthusiast and a walking encyclopedia of anything remotely connected to Gordon Lightfoot and his music. He has a very accomplished website and just about every sheet of paper on a music stand with Gordon Lightfoot lyrics that I've ever seen came from Wayne's site.

His selection of tunes included a big favourite of mine, "Ode to Big Blue" which is a rare piece of work that unfolds well with the Travis style of fingerpicking that Wayne skillfully delivered. He also included "Baby Step Back" with the hilarious line Gord uses when introducing this song: "meet me by the rock pile baby and I'll get a little bolder" (boulder).
Great job there Wayne and it was good seeing and hanging out with you.

Following Wayne and no stranger to our event was Brady Corcoran. Brady performed a most worthy version of "Early Morning Rain" and "Oh Linda," a tune I was hoping for and he delivered it in his own unique style that could be mesmerizing. This is one talented artist believe me. Our familiar bass player, Myk Hewitt arrived in time to add a few licks toward the end on "Oh Linda."
Things are picking up real good now and the room is alive.

With Brady's accompaniment, onto the stage comes our hugely popular and most versatile Gordon Lightfoot entertainer, Andy Mauck. Andy is no stranger to the pub jam and when he enters the room we know that we are in for some cool entertainment. Andy can sing the song and act the act.
True gentleman is Andy and he honoured a request (I'm Not Supposed To Care) for me which I sent in an email to him prior to the show. To his lovely wife, Dorothy he dedicated "Shadows" and to Char, "I'll Tag Along." Now that's professionalism at it's finest.

To compliment this gathering we plug in for the very first time cellist Crispin Campbell.

A first for the McVeigh stage and a first also for our sound man, Jason who told me he really enjoyed the experience of working with a cello.
Crispin is a highly accomplished versatile musician and his presence and contribution is revealed when his bow crosses the strings of his treasured instrument.

We are now moved to a most joyous level of elevation much higher than the one on which we normally would reside when it comes to the "pot lock pub jam event." This is a whole new calibre and we're on a roll here. The band is in sync and a class act is now in gear.
The tunes are selective ones, most that tend to hang out in the "obscure" category of Lightfoot material, the place I like to visit often.
Char tells me they are now available for viewing on You Tube.

To blend in a bit of a different twist and maybe jog a memory for some folks who may remember my Grandson, Seamus when he graced the stage at a pub jam when he was five years old with his soulful version of Sit Down Young Stranger." this time now at eleven he joined us with his vocal percussion skills in "The Magnificent Toy," a song we would normally hear at Christmas time.
Seamus wooded the crowed but he's a tad shy these days so we could only manage the one tune from him. Big thanks there Shay.

Another interesting aspect of of the weekend celebrations was the fact that a documentary film titled "Lightheaded" was in the midst of production and the film crew were in the pub. Some filming was done there as well so it will be interesting to see the final product when it's released.

John Corcoran, a most dedicated Lightfoot fan and friend of Gord is the overseer of this monumental undertaking which from what I understand is 90% complete. (I refer to him as "Generous John") because he provided us with food and drinks after the concerts in the hotel lounge and was always there to greet you with a smile. A lovely family man, like Gord.

Still riding on an emotional high from the experience and saddened in a way with the closing down of Massey Hall for two years, we will try our best to maintain a positive mindset and prepare for that eventful 2020 opening.

Best to all. "Just Let It Ride."

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 07-06-2018 at 11:33 AM.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #32
jj

Great summary Ron. Wow. You doing Spin Spin and Wayne on Big Blue! Let me know when audio or video of this golden moments. A couple of new ones Andy added this year. You can tell me enjoys. Great work Jason. Did Myk play bass for the trio? I haven’t heard on good speakers that have bottom end. Lisa char way to go also. Capturing Hugh’s, Massey and Mcveighs for all the world who can’t be there. Her channel is a huge treat for any and all! Did TG play?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #33
lighthead2toe

Hi JJ and many thanks yous.
Other than the video work Char and Lisa did I'm not sure if there was any thing else.
Myk wasn't doing well with heat so he only came in on the one tune. No word from TG. It was very hot downtown Toronto so I can understand why some would take a pass, especially if you have to lug around equipment for any distance and parking sometimes can be a problem. It was a really great afternoon and yes, Andy sure did it up well. "We love the work" he'll say.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #34
T.G.

My regrets for missing once again, but the blistering heat was just too much to venture into. Looks like I missed a classic with lots of great performances. And Andy's Lightfoot imitations are always a riot LOL
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #35
lighthead2toe

Having just noticed that the pub jam thread has now topped the 1000 view mark in such a short time it's clear that the work put into that event sure paid off.

Just thought I'd share an interesting highlight that happened as I was leaving McVeigh's Pub that day.

Jimmy McVeigh called to me saying he had a camera cartridge that was left on one of the tables and probably belonged to one of the Gordon Lightfoot fans.

I knew that it belonged to Char as she was hoppin' busy that day making things work.

I ensured Jimmy that it would get into the right hands so on entering the lobby of Massey Hall later to attend the concert I was met by a rather distraught Charlene telling me she thinks she left a very important and precious camera cartridge at McVeigh's and before she could continue with her words the cartridge was in her hand.

The expression on Char's face took "The Agony and the Ecstasy" to a whole new level within a split second.

All is well that ends well.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #36
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Ecstasy made easy.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #37
lighthead2toe

That's the caption I was looking for Dave but it didn't come to me.

Great "finale."
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #38
charlene

I was in quite a tizzy about that battery being ''lost''.. I knew I'd left it at the Pubjam and hoped someone had found it and handed it in. When I called and they said they found it and gave it to Ron I was SO relieved! lol..