banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Jenn

Default Favorite songs and favorite song-writer...woot!

Listening to "I'd do it again" this morning. His songs just make you want to pick up the guitar. Some of his lesser known or talked about songs are some of my favorites. The other one I also have always loved is "Bend in the water". Awesome road-tripping song.

Lightfoot is my favorite song writer, Canadian or otherwise. I was thinking about how I've loved him since my teens; 20 years or so now and he's always been so relatable at any age. Feel like he wrote those songs just for me and I think many will know what I'm talking about I think this as I watch my four year old dancing around to his music. I'm 37 now so maybe on the younger end of the spectrum as far as the typical Gordon fan goes. (I sometimes get the gears from my friends and co-workers.) That said, several of them will be joining me to a Gordon show at Massey in a few weeks. It will be my second time seeing him there and I can't wait. I'm from Vancouver so it's a special treat for me to see him perform there and I am beyond excited!!

Just felt like sharing some Gordon love this morning.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
TC

Default Re: Favorite songs and favorite song-writer...woot!

Hey Jenn! As far as the hardcore Lightfoot fans go...I've always considered myself to be on the younger side of the spectrum (albeit only by about five years or so) and I'm 5........ouch! OK, 52!! You mention Gord to your peers and the reply is probably... "who?"
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
charlene

see you at Massey - come over and say HI! a bunch of us will be down front...What night will you be there?
If it's Saturday you can meet my 23 year old daughter - she's a life long fan!
Bring any and all good weather you can!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Jenn

Hi Charlene, we're coming the Wednesday night. I'll look out for you
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Your 1st post made me think of how some younger people don't know who Gordon is. I was coming back from the Torrington, Ct. concert in March, and I got stopped by a Cop on Rt. 8 in Waterbury at 11:30 PM. He asked where I was coming from and I told him a Gordon Lightfoot concert in Torrington. He replied with "I never heard of him". I named a few songs and he said "never heard any of them". I looked at him and figured he was about 25, an I just said " I guess you have to be a lot older". He didn't give me a ticket, he just said my license plate light went out and to get it fixed. I think he just isn't a music lover, as almost anyone I ever talked to at any age over 18 seem to know of at least one or 2 Lightfoot songs.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
formerlylavender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
I think he just isn't a music lover, as almost anyone I ever talked to at any age over 18 seem to know of at least one or 2 Lightfoot songs.

Excellent point! Think you summed it up right there!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bend in the water, massey