banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-22-2000, 04:53 PM   #1
Lightfoot678

Hello Everyone

Tomorrow in my college public speaking class I am going to be giving an informative speech on the Edmund Fitzgerald. In the speech I am going to be mentioning Gordons song of course.

Will let you all know how it turned out

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2000, 11:33 PM   #2
Rob Wells

Here's to hull #301. Break thier hearts and good luck!!!
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2000, 10:37 PM   #3
Lightfoot678

Well the speech got delayed by 5 days (counting the weekend too). I gave it today and it went without a hitch. After class I wound up loaning "Summertime Dream" to a girl in the class who loved the song. But hadn't heard it in ages. Got an A on the speech itself.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2000, 10:58 PM   #4
Pirate Queen

that is cool.

so totally off the subject, what college do you go to anyway? just curious.
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 10:47 AM   #5
fezo

Hey, that IS cool.

A couple of notes -

1. I saw GL at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC in the month after the Fitzgeral went down. During the show at one point he starts playing around with some chords and mumbling a few lines about the Fitzgerald and says "it's something I'm working on." (!) Indeed, when I picked up "Summertime Dream" the day it was released there it was - with chord patterns I recognized from that night. What a magical look into the mind of the man!

I've since become somewhat of a Fitzgerald buff and have read many books on it and teh one thing that constantly amazes me is that after all the underwater robots and massive studies they come down to three theories as to what caused the sinking. These are basically "she might have broke up or she might have capsized. She may have broke deep and took water." They put it in fancier words, but GL had it right at the start.

fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2000, 10:00 PM   #6
Dan

quote:Originally posted by fezo:
I've since become somewhat of a Fitzgerald buff and have read many books on it and teh one thing that constantly amazes me is that after all the underwater robots and massive studies they come down to three theories as to what caused the sinking. These are basically "she might have broke up or she might have capsized. She may have broke deep and took water." They put it in fancier words, but GL had it right at the start.

Hey Fezo (I love the handle),

I think Lightfoots words ring so true because he covered most possiblities with the exception of a missle hitting the Big Fitz.

I think it's a shame that the official cause is the hatch or hold covers that the crew didn't secure properly. It's a real cop out and insult. I think it hit the shoal when it was on the bottom of a wave and bam!

Keep on trucking and keep a weary eye for that 'Witch of November'

Dan

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 10:40 AM   #7
pakachoog

I can't help but think of the Worcester Warehouse fire when I listen to the
Wreck...
Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the "smoke" turns the minutes
to hours? Isn't it strange that someone's tragedy ultimately becomes entertainment?
We eat popcorn and watch on the screen as people slide down the deck of the
Titanic.
Old 01-08-2001, 02:19 PM   #8
classicmixdj

Enough about the song...Good Luck with the Girl ...that is assuming you are single.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote