banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 08-14-2000, 10:08 AM   #1
Frank v

In my opinion,Gord is king,(Numero uno).
And you can't outcool the Dan...
(So don't even try...).
But aside from your favourites,looking at things objectively.Who is the biggest and most influencial act in the entire history of popular music.
Aside from the(Presley,Beatles,Dylan)triangle
and the rock&roll,blues and jazz giants of before.(Even Sinatra).
There lies a surprise choice lurking in the shadows...Who could it be...?

Frank.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2000, 09:21 AM   #2
Mary Ann

Gee Frank, you didn't leave us much to work with after eliminating all the greats (who is Dan, by the way? Steeley?). The only group left is The Rolling Stones. Perhaps The Who - but even there I believe they were influenced by The Beatles. Well, there is Michael Jackson (cough, hack, sputter!)

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2000, 12:32 PM   #3
Frank v

Mary Ann,
Anybody can be picked.It's totally open.I didn't mean to omit those artists.Reading it again,I can see,it reads like that.What I was trying to do,was to see if anybody had choices other than the obvious.
OK.
"Let's make it anybody".

It's an interesting topic,because what is big selling and influential,isn't necessarily your favourite,or even the best.

Frank.

(Yes,Dan is Steely.)

Old 08-17-2000, 03:32 PM   #4
Mary Ann

Frank,
I just thought of someone-
Elton John. Tumbleweed Connection was, IMHO his best work. It had that "I want to be in this business so bad" feel to it. In other words Elton put his heart and soul into that album. There are artists who do the same, give it there all into their first album, it becomes an overnight sensation, and unfortunately they never match that success ever again. Not so with Elton. With each album his popularity increased. There was that brief time when he thought he could do better w/o Bernie Taupin in his band but he soon realized that was a mistake and Bernie was reunited with his band. Now, with his latest album, Elton has returned to the sound he had with TC and I like it very much. BTW, Elton has a home in the ATL area and has played at Philips arena numerous times. He was the first act to open our building, he's had 2 private concerts and a second concert for the public. We have dubbed him our "house band". (LOL)

Mary Ann
Old 09-01-2000, 04:37 PM   #5
storm

Send a message via ICQ to storm

i can also say i believe that eric clapton has been a major influence in north american music...in all aspects. he has floated through so many styles and rhythms, yet never losing his sense of musicality. what a talented guy.
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2000, 08:41 PM   #6
Mary Ann

Storm,
Finally, someone else who appreciates Eric Clapton. As much as I admire Gord and his accomplishments with a guitar, Clapton is . . . well, he's incredible. Their styles are totally different but they both have a way of capturing an audience; Gord has you in his palm the minute he walks on stage- his voice and song lyrics coaxing a full range of emotions, whereas with Eric- he mesmirizes you with his magical "slowhands". If you look into the audience at one of his concerts, you won't see the typical screaming, gyrating, standing in the seat crowd. Nope. They are all sitting quietly, moving head and shoulders to the beat of the music and you might see an occassional air-guitar playing. And another thing I like about them both, they look good in a beard. (LOL)

Mary Ann
Old 09-01-2000, 11:59 PM   #7
charlene

I agree MaryAnn - Clapton is awesome. I got turned on to him in about 73 by a guy I was dating who was 8 years older than me and he played his stuff all the time. He has come through the years proving himself the virtuoso that he is. Electrifying!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 11:27 AM   #8
storm

Send a message via ICQ to storm

i'm glad we can all agree on that...has anyone actually seen him live???? i would be so jealous,but would love to hear about it!!
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 04:07 PM   #9
Mary Ann

Storm,
Yes I have seen him live on several occassions. Matter of fact, he will be touring in Atlanta in a couple of months, or so the grapevine goes. Check back with me then and I'll fill you in at that time. Don't forget, now!

Mary Ann
Old 09-07-2000, 03:21 PM   #10
Pirate Queen

Ok, I am going to have to had a few of my favourites here - there is Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk. I think that the "invention" if bebop added a lot to the progression of popular music. I also am going go add the Grateful Dead.
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 12:43 PM   #11
Frank v

Pirate Queen you're a Jazz fan.Thats interesting...any fave album?
I never got into the dead.
Spirit and Love were a couple of good bands.
(Anyone agree)?

Frank.
Old 09-18-2000, 06:12 PM   #12
Pirate Queen

Hi Frank - yes, a big jazz fan. Favourite album? Hmm...There is so much good material to choose from. One that I like to listen to a lot is "The Birth of Bop" by Charlie Parker and Miles Davis. I also like albums that combine Dizzy Gillespie with Charlie Parker. I am also a big piano fan, I like to listen to Thelonius Monk, Dr. John, people like that.

Are you a jazz fan?
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2000, 11:28 AM   #13
Frank v

Pirate Queen,
I like it mixed, with other forms of music.
ie(Jazz rock).
I've to listened to it, over the years,because I've had associations with people who like it.
I probably know 'Kind of blue' back to front...LOL.

Frank.
Old 09-23-2000, 08:22 PM   #14
Tom

Gotta go with the "Entertainer of the [20th] Century" Elvis Aron Presley. I also think Hank Williams Sr. ranks high on the list.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2000, 06:39 PM   #15
Tom

Frank, There is a websight of the 100 most important American musical works of the 20th Century. I don't agree with all of them(i.e. Nirvana's 1991 "Smells Like Teen Spirit")but it is worth a look:
www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/list100alphabet.html

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 04:47 AM   #16
Scott

Dylan and Miles. Who did as much with jazz, for jazz, than Miles.
________
Kawasaki AR50

Last edited by Scott; 01-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 04:56 AM   #17
Scott

hmmmm.... the biggest entertainer would have to be Meatloaf, though Elvis was probably the biggest before him. (Though the bassist for ARS was pretty big too).

________
Aprilia TX300

Last edited by Scott; 01-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 09:49 PM   #18
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Scott:
hmmmm.... the biggest entertainer would have to be Meatloaf, though Elvis was probably the biggest before him. (Though the bassist for ARS was pretty big too).

LOL, real cute, Scott!

Janice

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote