banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Jim Driskell

Some of you may remember that I asked for input for songs to play at an open mic opportunity in a Hamilton coffeehouse. For various reasons, I put off that event. I am planning to do it this summer though. However you might like to know that I did play in front of an interesting crowd. I played for a group of about 50 teachers during their year end luncheon. I played IYCRMM since I thought that it would be easily recognized. Then, in celebration of the upcoming July 1st holiday in Canada, I played the Canadian Railroad Trilogy on my 12 string guitar. I was nervous, but by the time I got to the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, I was also having a lot of fun. The songs were very well received.

I noticed one man singing quietly along with me for the entire CRT. You should have seen the look on his face. He seemed to be experiencing a little bit of heaven. He enjoyed every minute of it. I talked to him afterward. He told me that it took him back to his younger days. He loved Gordon Lightfoot and loved that song. He was so pleased that I had played it for them. He said that now that he had been reminded of how much he enjoyed Gordon Lightfoot, he would go out and buy a CD. I gave him my recommendations. There's another sale!

I was also very pleased to hear a few people say that I sounded like Gord (similar intonations and technique). How's that for a compliment! At the end of the day, I felt more confident about my abilities (I've always lacked some self-confidence, especially singing in front of people), and I was excited to do something people enjoyed. I will take this positive experience with me to the coffeehouse and hopefully do a good job. Thanks for your support when I asked for suggestions.

Jim Driskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
Minstrel Man

Some of you may remember that I asked for input for songs to play at an open mic opportunity in a Hamilton coffeehouse. For various reasons, I put off that event. I am planning to do it this summer though. However you might like to know that I did play in front of an interesting crowd. I played for a group of about 50 teachers during their year end luncheon. I played IYCRMM since I thought that it would be easily recognized. Then, in celebration of the upcoming July 1st holiday in Canada, I played the Canadian Railroad Trilogy on my 12 string guitar. I was nervous, but by the time I got to the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, I was also having a lot of fun. The songs were very well received.

I noticed one man singing quietly along with me for the entire CRT. You should have seen the look on his face. He seemed to be experiencing a little bit of heaven. He enjoyed every minute of it. I talked to him afterward. He told me that it took him back to his younger days. He loved Gordon Lightfoot and loved that song. He was so pleased that I had played it for them. He said that now that he had been reminded of how much he enjoyed Gordon Lightfoot, he would go out and buy a CD. I gave him my recommendations. There's another sale!

I was also very pleased to hear a few people say that I sounded like Gord (similar intonations and technique). How's that for a compliment! At the end of the day, I felt more confident about my abilities (I've always lacked some self-confidence, especially singing in front of people), and I was excited to do something people enjoyed. I will take this positive experience with me to the coffeehouse and hopefully do a good job. Thanks for your support when I asked for suggestions.

Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
DMD3

No problem! You know, it takes guts to get up there and sing in front of people.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
DMD3

No problem! You know, it takes guts to get up there and sing in front of people.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #5
Gord

I agree it also takes guts to get behind your drumset in front of strange people and hope that you don't look like a spaz lol.

If you're based in Hamilton give me a shout I'm in Brantford, I'd give my right leg to do a Lightfoot set with somebody... I know 98% of Lightfoot's material on the drums, except I don't have anywhere near the percussion instruments that Barry has.

Glad everything went okay
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
Gord

I agree it also takes guts to get behind your drumset in front of strange people and hope that you don't look like a spaz lol.

If you're based in Hamilton give me a shout I'm in Brantford, I'd give my right leg to do a Lightfoot set with somebody... I know 98% of Lightfoot's material on the drums, except I don't have anywhere near the percussion instruments that Barry has.

Glad everything went okay
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Tyler

What an undertaking doing CRT, it is a long song with a lot of changes (fast, slow those changes) and a ton of words. Congrats you were well received and complimented, that should set you on your way to the coffeehouse. Hopefully you and our forum Gord can get together he also has done some out of the basement playing. We'd love to hear you.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
brink

What an undertaking doing CRT, it is a long song with a lot of changes (fast, slow those changes) and a ton of words. Congrats you were well received and complimented, that should set you on your way to the coffeehouse. Hopefully you and our forum Gord can get together he also has done some out of the basement playing. We'd love to hear you.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
Janice

How cool!!! Congratulations on your performance. Sounds like you were a hit!

I'm sure you'll do just fine when you do the open mic

(edited for typo correction)

[This message has been edited by Janice (edited July 05, 2004).]
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #10
charlene

sounds like a great time.
CRT is a heck of a challenging song to sing let alone perform on guitar as well! congrats!
char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #11
charlene

sounds like a great time.
CRT is a heck of a challenging song to sing let alone perform on guitar as well! congrats!
char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote