banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
Shelty

What does everyone think the 2nd single should be?

I agree with the majority here that my favorite song is "End of All Time".. however, having said that one must keep in mind that singles are not necessarily the best, or most beautiful songs on albums. The record companies obviously want to pick singles that can get fit the most radio airplay formats.

I will say that if this was 1975, "No Mistake About it" would be the single and most probably make top 10. It is a crystalline piece of pure bluesy pop.

However, in 2004, in the U.S., Im not sure if any of these masterpieces can get airplay with most stations seemingly devoted to hip hop and electronic music.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Shelty

I agree with the majority here that my favorite song is "End of All Time".. however, having said that one must keep in mind that singles are not necessarily the best, or most beautiful songs on albums. The record companies obviously want to pick singles that can get fit the most radio airplay formats.

I will say that if this was 1975, "No Mistake About it" would be the single and most probably make top 10. It is a crystalline piece of pure bluesy pop.

However, in 2004, in the U.S., Im not sure if any of these masterpieces can get airplay with most stations seemingly devoted to hip hop and electronic music.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Shelty:

I think it would have to be End Of All Time. It has a catchy melody, nice lyrics, nice instrumental arrangements. That would be the one I'd want to hear.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Borderstone

If it were the 80's,River of Light would be quite the obvious choice. Overall and surprise,surprise,I also choose,"End Of All Time". I also feel it should have been the first one,now that I've heard it. If radio had a more open & diverse mind these days,it would be a #1 hit and stay at the top for 10 weeks or more. Wishfully thinking,I'd like it to be
17 weeks,to top,"One Sweet Day" by Mariah & Boyz To Men's 16 week stay.

Heck,if Carlos Santana can spend 12 weeks at the top with,"Smooth" and then 10 weeks with,"Maria Maria",30 years after making the charts in the first place,why not Gordon Lightfoot? We truly need a miracle. Been me,Aurevoir!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
Tyler

Yep, End of All Time - with another video.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
brink

Yep, End of All Time - with another video.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:08 AM   #7
Rosanna

I believe I heard a local DJ say "River of
Light" would be the next release, but I could be wrong.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:08 AM   #8
Doug Letcher

Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
joveski

---
---

let's hope you're not wrong!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Wingdrops

Harmony is such a subtle and low-key, understated album that none of the songs is likely to be a hot single. I fear any single -- especially EOAT or Clouds of Loneliness -- would never see daylight but would be drowned out by the hip hop and dance muzak that passes for "taste" these days.

That said, I think River of Light is a possible choice, especially as it might lend itself to a video with high cinemographic value -- beautiful water scenes from Vancouver and the Yukon's streams to the Great Lakes, Niagara and the mouth of the St. Lawrence. Sort of like The Moldau by Smetana, but in video. It could hook into a sense of Canadian pride. (Canada still has national pride, doesn't it?)

No Mistake About It also has video potential, especially as a follow-up and counterpoint to Inspiration Lady.

I think Couchiching would make a great "B" side if they still had them.

By the way, Char, I got you and the other Canucks goin' with that "pride" crack above, didn't I? LOL Just joshin'.

Oh, Canada ....

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
2Much2Lose

Harmony is such a subtle and low-key, understated album that none of the songs is likely to be a hot single. I fear any single -- especially EOAT or Clouds of Loneliness -- would never see daylight but would be drowned out by the hip hop and dance muzak that passes for "taste" these days.

That said, I think River of Light is a possible choice, especially as it might lend itself to a video with high cinemographic value -- beautiful water scenes from Vancouver and the Yukon's streams to the Great Lakes, Niagara and the mouth of the St. Lawrence. Sort of like The Moldau by Smetana, but in video. It could hook into a sense of Canadian pride. (Canada still has national pride, doesn't it?)

No Mistake About It also has video potential, especially as a follow-up and counterpoint to Inspiration Lady.

I think Couchiching would make a great "B" side if they still had them.

By the way, Char, I got you and the other Canucks goin' with that "pride" crack above, didn't I? LOL Just joshin'.

Oh, Canada ....

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #12
gauchodan

I would love to see "River of Light" become a big hit. If Norah Jones can crack Top 40 radio, then this song can as well. It's got a steady pace to it that flows along like, well, a river.

My video image for this song would be one of those bugs from "A Bug's Life" standing on a milkweed leaf, dancing to the groove....not unlike the gopher in "Caddyshack." I know, totally out of left field but that's what I see when I hear this song.

I love how he changes the way he stretches out "how long must I travel on" the final time through. Also, I love how he sings "Ever again." I don't know what key he's singing in, but every note in this song is a flat (half a step lower)...But on "ever again," instead of going to the B-flat, he only goes to the A. But at the end of the song he does go to the B-flat. Brilliant stuff.

By far this is the best song on the album. And you know it's Gordon Lightfoot...that voice couldn't be anyone else.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #13
gauchodan

I would love to see "River of Light" become a big hit. If Norah Jones can crack Top 40 radio, then this song can as well. It's got a steady pace to it that flows along like, well, a river.

My video image for this song would be one of those bugs from "A Bug's Life" standing on a milkweed leaf, dancing to the groove....not unlike the gopher in "Caddyshack." I know, totally out of left field but that's what I see when I hear this song.

I love how he changes the way he stretches out "how long must I travel on" the final time through. Also, I love how he sings "Ever again." I don't know what key he's singing in, but every note in this song is a flat (half a step lower)...But on "ever again," instead of going to the B-flat, he only goes to the A. But at the end of the song he does go to the B-flat. Brilliant stuff.

By far this is the best song on the album. And you know it's Gordon Lightfoot...that voice couldn't be anyone else.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #14
muklucannie

Hey Bro - we Canucks got pride - We got Lightfoot....nuf said!
lol
sis
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #15
Char1

lol
sis
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #16
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Char1:
lol
sis

you tell him, Char!

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
Shelty

Does anyone agree that there are songs that are too GOOD to be singles??

Gordon has so many album cuts that are way beyond fitting some radio format.

I do believe, however, "Inspiration Lady" was the best choice for the first single. It is representative of Gord. It is beautiful, glistening folk-pop as only he can do. I don't know if it could possibly catch on on radio formats dominated by hip hop and electronic music. But it certainly has a chance at Lite Rock stations.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #18
Shelty

Does anyone agree that there are songs that are too GOOD to be singles??

Gordon has so many album cuts that are way beyond fitting some radio format.

I do believe, however, "Inspiration Lady" was the best choice for the first single. It is representative of Gord. It is beautiful, glistening folk-pop as only he can do. I don't know if it could possibly catch on on radio formats dominated by hip hop and electronic music. But it certainly has a chance at Lite Rock stations.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #19
violet Blue Horse

No Mistake About It. It's not my favorite song on the album, but it reminds me more than a bit of Sundown, and I think it stands the best chance out there.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #20
violet Blue Horse

No Mistake About It. It's not my favorite song on the album, but it reminds me more than a bit of Sundown, and I think it stands the best chance out there.