banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
FirsAlternate

Default Softly Cover

FirsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: Softly Cover

beautiful vocals and guitar
Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
jj

lovely stuff and welcome aboard

ok, for the first 20 seconds on this vid i thought it was Terry who was making a surprise appearance!

you've got a smooth voice...take this as a compliment and merely constructive feedback only, but if you are doing future covers i would kick back a bit on the vox reverb/effects...imo, totally unnecessary with your full vox and natural delivery

btw, since you now have a Artist cover thread, you need to add atleast a 2nd tune in order to not land in the Misc thread...then again, there are some artists in the Misc thread that have 2 or more cover versions, so it's an offset ...we are music fans, not mathematicians (other than rm!)

i peeked at some of your other performances, really nice stuff....jim

note - across the border, Softly actually was a radio release, well known

Last edited by jj; 02-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

btw, since you now have a Artist cover thread, you need to add atleast a 2nd tune in order to not land in the Misc thread...then again, there are some artists in the Misc thread that have 2 or more cover versions, so it's an offset ...we are music fans, not mathematicians (other than rm!)
ok - i know there's some listings for artists with 2 or more videos in the misc.thread..
lol
i will be making separate threads for them..
smart arse..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
JohnStinson

I agree. Just a great sound. Voice and guitar are beautiful. I just commented back on YouTube as well ...and 'subscribed' to your channel. I'll be listening along the way. tx John
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
FirsAlternate

Thanks for the kind words, I did not expect such a welcome. I merely wanted to share my interpretation of this fine tune with those who might most appreciate it.

In the total constellation of outstanding Lightfoot songs, it does tend to get lost in the shuffle. While perhaps known to those of us who truly appreciate his work, on my gigs it is not one of his most requested songs.

I'm still new to this video posting thing, that track being among the first I did. I was most concerned with keeping my left hand in frame; the settings on vox and guitar were essentially plug in and go. I hope to improve on all aspects of the process in the future.

It excites me to have stumbled upon a community that has the same enthusiasm for Mr. Lightfoot's work that I have had since the late sixties. I plan to spend a lot of time here. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirsAlternate View Post
While perhaps known to those of us who truly appreciate his work, on my gigs it is not one of his most requested songs..
I hear ya, it actually never charted in the top 200 but if you check our the live TV performances of Gord himself (currently found in this forum) you will see he actually played it on the Johnny Cash show back in 1969...I love reading those reader Comments and watching that one..I do believe his is singing it live...opinions?

if ya haven't found www.lightfoot.ca you're going to dig it, tidbits galore

btw, very cool photo of you at youtube channel, sideburns days!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
charlene

Welcome! and that's a wonderful rendition!
stick around and enjoy!
char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
FirsAlternate

Quote:
Yeah, and D-28 days. Man, I wish I hadn't sold that guitar!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
jj

Quote:
Yeah, and D-28 days. Man, I wish I hadn't sold that guitar!
you should change your post so the subject is your Name or youtube login name rather than the song title, that's the strategy if you are planning to add any more then you just add them to your thread...maybe only char can fix this...otherwise maybe create a fresh post for FirsAlternative with Softly linked again
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
FirsAlternate

I have removed this video from YouTube, as I have all my covers. Larry Lud's Podline6 channel was entirely removed by YouTube without warning for "copyright infringement". I guess that's just the way it's gonna be; I pre-empted the falling of the ax.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
talbot10

Quote:
I hear ya, it actually never charted in the top 200 but if you check our the live TV performances of Gord himself (currently found in this forum) you will see he actually played it on the Johnny Cash show back in 1969...I love reading those reader Comments and watching that one..I do believe his is singing it live...opinions?

if ya haven't found www.lightfoot.ca you're going to dig it, tidbits galore

Hi Jim,
I absolutely believe he is singing live as well. Many shows back then used shotgun mics that picked up vocals and guitar very well eventhough it was mono. If you'll notice the duo that Johnny and Gord do is clearly live and has that same nice full sound as softly does.
Bill

Last edited by talbot10; 05-12-2009 at 08:42 AM.
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Peter Bro10

Quote:
I have removed this video from YouTube, as I have all my covers. Larry Lud's Podline6 channel was entirely removed by YouTube without warning for "copyright infringement". I guess that's just the way it's gonna be; I pre-empted the falling of the ax.
I don't quite understand copyright infringement if private individuals are "recording" songs for "private", ala YouTube, sharing. In other words, not-for-profit efforts.

I feel somewhat cheated as I missed out on the featured video that lead off this thread.

Additionally, one of the pleasant surprises of my "corfid experience" is various users "sharing" works and artists that they have discovered or found. For example, I just saw yesterday, for the first time, Hank Williams Jr's covered or "Looking at the Rain". Another recent "discovery" for me was Marty Robbins and "Ribbon of Darkness". I hope postings like these don't get pulled also!

Similarly, John Stinson's many offerings are really enjoyable... thanks John!

And I also discovered this guy, John Prine. Never heard of him before corfid!! So you see how this works. I appreciate the sharing of fellow corfidians... the list goes on and on! I guess my thoughts are this: that if things progress as they have been, these offerings will be "removed" as well... that would be sad. I guess I'm also thinking of the many GL "videos" produced by one of our own, that had to be "removed" from youtube as well.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this, but I'm bothered by what seems a trend.

Well FirstAlt, I hope to catch your videos another time and place... I'll look forward to it.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot10 View Post
Hi Jim,
I absolutely believe he is singing live as well. Many shows back then used shotgun mics that picked up vocals and guitar very well eventhough it was mono. If you'll notice the duo that Johnny and Gord do is clearly live and has that same nice full sound as softly does.
Bill
thanks Bill....if it wasn't then it sure was a good job of lip synching!...same goes for Ed Sullivan shows...i never saw any mics on stands or clipped to lapels (they had big lapels back then, lol) but i didnt see any sign of overhead boom mics either...i never had as much success with parabolic or shotgun mics unless i was fairly close to the talent...i suppose the high end ones performed well...that is some fine live singing

first alternative: that surprises me a bit (in that larry was singled out) ...when you record a cover for CD release there is a process but when it comes to youtube i don't know how 'they' will keep up with removing any instances (there could be millions out there) ...CDs are typically released for commerical and/or promo purposes but one still has to pay a fee to the owner of publishing rights...with youtube it's mainly folks just putting themselves out there for non-commercial purposes, no?...larry must have recieved a note explaining the rationale...when i used an unauthorized recording to accompany video, i recieved a note explaining the violation... what do JohnStinson, GordisKing and Kefera think? anyhow, you did a fine version of Softly while it lasted, thanks for the memories
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
DawnsMinstrel

Quote:
first alternative: that surprises me a bit (in that larry was singled out) ...... what do JohnStinson, GordisKing and Kefera think? anyhow, you did a fine version of Softly while it lasted, thanks for the memories
I don't know what to think jj. There must have been something Larry was doing that got him singled out. At this point I can't say because I don't think I've ever seen any of Larry's videos, and now they're gone. But I haven't been bothered.
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnsMinstrel View Post
I don't know what to think jj. There must have been something Larry was doing that got him singled out. At this point I can't say because I don't think I've ever seen any of Larry's videos, and now they're gone. But I haven't been bothered.
Tim and JIm,
Here is a little bit on the subject matter of covers of copyrighted materials (in public venues in particular). This is from a Yahoo site and is quite interestig.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6001912AAgZERN

The second link is from ASCAP that pretty much confirms the answer given by the person on the first link:

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html

Note:
It is not just a copyright issue with "youtube" covers. It is a performance rights issue just like any other public venue that plays covers of copyrighted material.

My guess (certainly unofficial as I am sure not a lawyer) of how this may work out is that it is likely that Youtube will start charging a fee for people to post songs on youtube that are not originals (maybe yearly unless they feel their sponsors pay them enough to cover it) to compensate for royalties that what they will have to pay to performance rights societies such as ASCAP and BMI. The societeis will likely use a similar formula that they use with clubs and restraunts and other places that play public performances of copyrighted (cover) material to pay the publishers and/or songwriters.

It is an interesting issue and probably still evolving since the youtube phenomenon is still new.

In summary, Youtube has made it very clear in their policy that you cannot post copyrighted materials without permisson of the copyright holder (and they don't differentiate between "for financial gain" or not). see this link from their site:

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

As to why Youtube shuts down certain channels or removes certain songs by warning folks none of us can say. Perhaps they just have not gotten to everyone else.

That said (no matter if you agree with Youtube's policy legally or morally) I would not post a cover song on there without persmisson of the copyright holder. It is risky. If you recall the whole NAPSTER thing, regular folks were sued and made examples of. Youtube can point to their written policy and say all the cover performers were warned. They have big time lawyers to defend them (the average person does not).
Hopefully Youtube will work something out with the performance societies in the near future and everyone will work out a nice arrangment, just like when your local resturant plays karaoke music and the patrons sing it.

Fun subject

Bill

Last edited by talbot10; 05-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
DawnsMinstrel

Interesting stuff Bill. Thanks for posting. From reading the ASCAP FAQ it looks like one option would be to become a member of ASCAP. But of course, YouTube would have to have some way of knowing whether or not a cover artist is a member. I guess membership would have to be through them.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
talbot10

HI Tim,
ASCAP and BMI are performance rights societies that are in existance because they collect royalties for publishers and songwriters that are registered with them. They are not there to protect the folks playing the covers. They collect certain amounts from venues such as Cafe's , bars, stores, elevator music, radio statons (you name it). They use statistical data and various formulas (which I don't understand ) to collect money from venues to pay songwriters and/or their publishing companies their royalties. Joining one of the societies does not in any way relieve a person publishing and/or distributing someone elses copyrighted song and making that cover available either in hard form (ex.CD or tape) or in digital form (ex. mp3 download). For a CD and or tape for example you need to secure a mechanical licence from the copyright holder via either the Harry Fox Agency (If the copyright owner belongs to that) or directly from the copyright holder (often the copyright holders publishing company). To digitally distribute you need a simlar but not exact form of license (renewable every year right now).. Again. I am not a lawyer. I am just telling you what I believe via research and my own experince in what I have to do every year legally to publish a cover song on one of my own CDs.
Bill

Last edited by talbot10; 05-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
DawnsMinstrel

Hi Bill,

I probably didn't read the FAQ carefully enough. I got the impression from it that you could get the license you refer to through ASCAP. Then I reaiized even if that were so, it would have to be YouTube and not the performer that would have to work out the deal. Anyway, thanks for enlightening me!

Tim
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
JohnStinson

I'm no lawyer..

I checked into this a couple of years ago..I wanted to know what 'live' performers had to do to legally play 'cover' tunes in public places.

I spoke to someone at SOCAN. (the canadian org)
He told me I didn't need a license.

But with this thread, I went back and looked up SOCAN references. ..and it still looks like there is something that I might have to do for 'public' performances.

In general there has been more a push on establishments like restaurants and bars to pay a fee. In fact, performers hired by the establishment are covered under the establishments license..if he has one. ..i think.

'Recording' any cover and selling it needs a license AND permission from the author.

This internet thing is new and a 'wild west' attitude is slowly coming to and end. BUT the pressure is not on guys like me...although we are involved in the crime. It is YouTUbe who is profiting from any popular 'cover' and it is YouTube that should be required to pay the fee and license. They are, to my opinion, the bar owner here. Yes, I did the recording (taped the song).. bu it is YouTuve who are in fact selling it. At least IMHO.

I just downloaded a application form from SOCAN... gonna see if they want my money...LOL ..
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
lighthead2toe

Hi John.

The legal end of the music business can be a minefield and more so for the inexperienced.

I'll try and share what I can in regard to some of the processing matters I encountered to this extent with the recording I'm working on at present.

As is with ASCAP in the united States, here in Canada we have the CMRRA (Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency) which represents the vast majority of music publishers and the copyrighted musical works they own and administer.

So because the songs I recorded were written by other artists it is my responsibility to ensure that I receive permission to record them and this is done by applying for a "mechanical license" and paying a fee to the CMRRA. The fees are explained in the guidelines set out and can be found at: www.cmrra.ca.

One song on the recording was written by my son, Liam so he will register that with SOCAN, the organization which would collect any revenue should his song be used in broadcasts or in public performances. There is no fee to register a song with SOCAN if it's done on line. He could also if he so chooses, have the song copyrighted and registered with the CMRRA. That way he would be paid if the song was recorded by other performers.

It's very important not to go blindly into anything without first seeking out the liabilities as the fines which can be imposed go as high as $1,000,000.

Many years back I met a young copyright lawyer in Toronto named Paul Sanderson who lived in the community close to where I resided and we would chat from time to time.

From what I understand Paul is still in Toronto and working in the entertainment industry and probably a good contact to keep on the books just in case.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
... it is YouTube that should be required to pay the fee and license. They are, to my opinion, the bar owner here. Yes, I did the recording (taped the song).. but is Youtube who are in fact selling it. At least IMHO.
i see it that way also...i never understood why we needed permission and had to play to record covers but could include them in a live set list without any issues...then someone said the club and bar owners took care of that by paying a blanket fee

an old bandmate/cowriter who has worked at tracking royalties for SOCAN for decades emailed me a reply saying it wasn't a big issue since uploaders aren't profiting and most folks can't download fron youtube...he always send this youtube FAQ quote " General Copyright Inquiries: My original recording of a cover song was removed.

Recording a cover version of your favorite song does not necessarily give you the right to upload that recording without permission from the owner of the underlying music (i.e., the song writer)."

then they say the easiest way to avoid issues is to work on something that has entirely original audio/video content...those vistory GL video used audio from gord and mainly images from internet but the tastey productions were original, i wish it was that easy...video production is like the rest of life, dealing with/avoiding red tape, yippee

Larry must have received this type of note when they were removed...it could be that one of Larry's (perhaps unprotected) original tunes was lifted and in a fluster he remove his whole lot...Tim, please protect your 2 dandy originals
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
mnmouse

Quote:
Larry must have received this type of note when they were removed...it could be that one of Larry's (perhaps unprotected) original tunes was lifted and in a fluster he remove his whole lot...Tim, please protect your 2 dandy originals
Hiya JJ!

Removal of Larry's channel was entirely YouTube's doing. Had they contacted him and told him they wanted certain songs removed by request of the copyright holder, he would have readily complied. Larry's sharp - his original music is protected.

He has also started up a new channel. He talks about what happened with YouTube and his feelings about the copyright infringement issue in his first newly posted video (appropriately titled "RIP Podline6" .)

He also posted a very nice cover of IYCRMM just yesterday:

Last edited by mnmouse; 05-18-2009 at 09:42 PM.
mnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
jj

hi Sharron

i didnt realize the IYCRMM cover you and Bill posted was a new recording (I guess his old one is gone forever...cant believe is master video file is still not kicking around for re-uploading)...i hope he does On Susan's Floor again ...and i liked the ezrock classic Diary cover also

Larry received 2 strikes, i'd have liked to see that correspondence

we need to see you & Paul singing duet(s)...youtube awaits!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
mnmouse

Hey JJ,

Yes, the IYCRMM cover is new, but Larry's been uploading some of his old videos too...he had hundreds of them and it takes time. He's also been re-doing some of the old favorites. I'd love to see all of his Lightfoot covers back up, too...two of them were extra special to me. He's a talented, versatile musician for sure.

As for me being on YT - I am 99.9 % sure you will only ever see my photography there...I'll leave the singing to the pros.