banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK Yesterday Great Britain's latest nautical marvel sailed on her maiden voyage to Miami from Southampton(England). The same port from which I sailed to New York in June 1967 on her immediate predecessor the QE2. So far there do not seem to be any actual full sized real photos of the QM2 on the internet but here are 2 pix I have found to illustrate this topic

And here is the report from today's The Daily telegraph on the sailing
By Stewart Payne
(Filed: 13/01/2004)

The Queen Mary 2 set sail on its maiden voyage last night with passengers bracing themselves for Force 11 gales and heavy seas.

The 150,000-ton liner was expected to take a battering as it headed out into the Atlantic on its first fare-paying voyage - a two-week cruise from its home port of Southampton to Florida.

previously the same journalist reported on the naming ceremony (nicely putting one over on the dreaded frogs!!)

QEII and QM2 launch new era of luxury travel
By Stewart Payne
(Filed: 09/01/2004)

The last time the Queen named a transatlantic liner she eschewed champagne in favour of a bottle of Australian sparkling wine to smash into its bow.

Yesterday, old rivalries were forgotten. France no longer competes for the fastest, most luxurious ocean-going ships. It just builds them.

So the British-owned, French-built Queen Mary 2, the new flagship of the Cunard fleet and the largest, longest, tallest, widest and most expensive passenger ship ever, was christened with a jeroboam of Veuve Clicquot champagne.

The Queen, leaning slightly on an ivory-handled walking stick after her knee operation, used the time-honoured words at the QM2's home port of Southampton: "I name this ship Queen Mary 2. May God bless her, and all who sail in her."

She had performed the same ceremony in 1967 at the launching of the Queen Elizabeth 2. The QE2 was built on the Clyde and the French still had pretensions toward transatlantic travel with their own liner, the France.

Now Cunard is alone in offering a regular service between Britain and America.

However, the company, founded in Liverpool more than 160 years ago, turned to a French shipyard in St Nazaire to build the £550 million vessel.

The naming ceremony was a lavish affair, although there was a poignant moment as the Rt Rev Michael Scott-Joynt, the Bishop of Winchester, in blessing the QM2, said a prayer in French for the families of the 15 people who died when a gangplank collapsed during a visit to the liner by relatives of construction workers.

Otherwise, it was all fanfare and fireworks. In pouring rain and strong winds, 2,000 guests, including John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, and Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, gathered under canvas to be entertained by The Band of the Royal Marines, Portsmouth, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Royal Choral Society, and by Lesley Garrett, the opera singer, and Heather Small, formerly of M People.

The liner was concealed behind a massive drape, which fell away on cue to reveal its floodlit bow and, on the foredeck, Pipe Major Jim Motherwell, who has just retired as the Queen's Piper.

Pamela Conover, the president of Cunard, said the QM2 was the first new transatlantic liner for 37 years.

She also announced that the new liner would be known as RMS Queen Mary 2, making her a Royal Mail Ship. The old Cunarders were all RMSs but the designation was dropped for the QE2. Now mail will be carried again.
The QM2 carries the name of its three-funneled predecessor, the Queen Mary, launched in 1934. Capable of carrying 2,620 passengers and with 17 decks and a crew of 1,253, the QM2 is due to take over transatlantic duties from the QE2 in late April. The QE2 will then concentrate on cruises.

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
DMD3

It would be very uncool if she wrecked but I'll bet it would make a great Lightfoot song. Maybe(or maybe not) better than 'The Edmund Fitzgerald'.

That's one ton of a boat if I've ever seen one.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
Oma

Thanks for the post, John. Very interesting!! I wonder how many lifeboats it has?
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
[B
That's one ton of a boat if I've ever seen one.[/B]
NO Duncan that is not one ton of a boat!! QM2's displacement is actually 150,000 tons
And Oma I know where you are coming from but never fear-If you are so lucky as to sail in her the following information should allay your fears. I found that the same site as the upper picture above gives amongst the specification details:-
"Steadfast on ensuring that the Queen Mary 2 exceeds all safety requirements, the technical team opted to use 37 lifeboats

And there are some of them
instead of the escape chutes that some operators are now choosing to implement citing that they are easier to operate and maintain on a daily basis. Not many for
Number of passengers: 2620 (3090 at full capacity) plus Crew : 1 253
So at full capacity if they hit another sodden iceberg that makes it over 117 souls per lifeboat.
Surely that is no way to run a shipping line??
the official capacity of each of the QM2's lifeboats is
"under current maritime regulations lifeboats can only have a maximum capacity of 150 persons per boat."Which is rather better than those on the earlier ship sung about by that other world-famous Canadian singer whose 20 lifeboats ranged from 40 to 65 for a total of 1178 to be fought over by
the total of 3000 pasengers (including Leonardo) and crew
An interesting QM2 fact I spotted:-
Draft: 32 feet, 6 inches - 9.95 metres: Height from keel to funnel: 236 feet 2 inches -
72 metres
The overall height of the vessel is limited by an ability to pass under
New York's Verazano Narrows Bridge, which has a clearance of 215 feet (66 metres).A Close shave???!!!!

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited January 14, 2004).]
Old 01-14-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
Borderstone

Entertainment Tonight sent Mary Hart out on location aboard the ship last week. I don't know if it was for the whole week or just one show but I caught one night. Pretty fancy-scmansy! Talk about a Lifestyles Of the Rich & Famous flashback! Later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Oma

Thanks for the info on the lifeboats and other ship specs! Really interesting, although I am sure I will never be among the passengers who sail on the QM2! Well, I guess I should "never say never", but it is highly unlikely!!!!

I wonder why the ship only has one ...don't laugh..."smoke stack"? There were 4 on the Titanic, right? I remember one of them came crashing down on Leonardo's friend!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #7
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Oma:

I wonder why the ship only has one ...don't laugh..."smoke stack"? There were 4 on the Titanic, right? I remember one of them came crashing down on Leonardo's friend!!!

sory Oma I cannot find out why she has only one funnel although I did discover that the QE2 actually has a pair of them
I also found a good photo site with some amazing pics taken as QM2 arrived in Southampton last December http://pjhrailpics.fotopic.net/show_...n.php?id=89162
But the images there are so many and large that it is extremely slow loading even worse than Dunkin' Douglas' friggin smilies
including this sample shot to show the massive size of her

so try this site with thumbnails:- http://images.fotopic.net/?id=2142784&outx=760&oq=0
Of course the original Queen Mary had 3 funnels

My guess is that they felt they could make better use of the space the extra funnels would have taken up
Note my two original pics are not being displayed as I write this because the server has ran out of bandwidth apparently
so try again later!!!

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited January 16, 2004).]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
Borderstone

Not to "steer" off topic but I saw a documentary about the Titanic a few years ago and it was stated that only 3 stacks actually worked! The fourth was strictly for show (why? beats me,some folks had weird ideas then just like they do now!) Later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

That's one ton of a boat if I've ever seen one.

That was really stupid, and I thought so before reading Johnfowles's reply on that. But I figured it was better than saying "one h*ll of a boat" even though that's the best way to describe it.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Not to "steer" off topic but I saw a documentary about the Titanic a few years ago and it was stated that only 3 stacks actually worked! The fourth was strictly for show (why? beats me,some folks had weird ideas then just like they do now!) Later!

http://movie-mistakes.com/
I heard that to. Or at least I think I read it. But in the movie, there was smoke coming from all 4 of them. Surely the smoke isn't for show to? That's just plain retarded.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Oma

Thanks for the info, John!