banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Paul Revere,leader of the Raiders gone at 76

In a tribute on the band's website, a fan remembered seeing the band for the first time.

"My dad took me to a Paul Revere and the Raiders concert in Buffalo NY in April of 1967," she wrote. "I think other than the male acts he was the ONLY man there. He said he was deaf for a week afterward, but he admitted he'd enjoyed the show and the Raiders. The Raiders were always fun and in good taste, parents didn't have to worry."

The band's fame grew as the Raiders appeared on "Dick Clark's American Bandstand," "Where the Action Is," the "Ed Sullivan Show," the "Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" and even the "Batman" television show, Hart wrote.

CNN) -- Paul Revere, leader of the 1960s rock band Paul Revere and the Raiders, died Saturday at his home in Idaho, the band's website reported. He was 76.

Revere -- whose birth name was Paul Revere Dick, according to a biography on the Internet Movie Database -- was frontman for the band that often performed in three-cornered hats and other clothing harking back to the Ameican Revolution.

Revere was born in Nebraska and played in bands in Idaho and Oregon, according to a tribute on the band website written by Roger Hart, who managed the group in the early days. Hart said he took the band to Hollywood and signed them to a deal with CBS/Columbia Records.

The band recorded a string of hits in the 1960s and early 1970s, including "Kicks," "Hungry" and "Indian Reservation." Revere, the band's organist, had a hyperactive effervescent stage personality and came to be known as "the madman of rock 'n' roll."

Revere recognized his debt to Clark. In a CNN.com story, Revere wrote about seeing his mentor six weeks before Clark's death in 2012.
"I gave him a hug and told him everything I have and everything I am I owe to him," Revere wrote.

The band became a fixture on the oldies circuit in later years and had a tour scheduled to start in November. Revere's cause of death was not disclosed, but Hart said Revere died "peacefully."

Besides Revere, the original Raiders included Mark Lindsay, Phil Volk, Drake Levin and Mike Smith.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/05/showbi...bit/index.html
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Borderstone

Default Re: Paul Revere,leader of the Raiders gone at 76

I was watching ABC News overnight when I heard about
Paul Revere passing away at age 76 (just over 2 months shy of turning 77).

Paul Revere & The Raider do pre-date me,but as a music collector & lover,I'm proud
to say that,in the late 2000s,I completed collecting their 15 hit songs via Lp and 45s.

ABC news only mentioned "Kicks" in talking about
their songs but for any fans,here's the complete list :

"Like, Long Hair" - #38 (1961)

"Just Like Me" #11 (1965)
"Kicks" #4

"Hungry" #6 (1966)
"The Great Airplane Strike" #20
"Good Thing" #4

"Up's And Downs" #22 (1967)
"Him Or Me, What's It Gonna Be" #5
"I Had A Dream" #17

"Too Much Talk" #19 (1968)
"Don't Take It So Hard" #27

"Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon" #18 (1969)
"Let Me" #20

(1971)
"Indian Reservation (The Lament of the
Cherokee Reservation Indian)"#1 July,1971,one week.

"Birds of a Feather" #23 (October 1971. Their final hit and ironically,Paul passes away 43 years to the week that the song hit the Billboard Top 40 on the Hot 100.

From the clips I've seen of them on variety shows,no doubt Mr. Rever and Co. were a fun band to listen too. To their credit as well though,"Kicks" is notable for being the very first "Anti-Drug" song.

Rest In Peace Paul Revere and may I say,
you and the band made great music together.

Last edited by Borderstone; 10-06-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
GretschViking

Love The Raiders. I own every album on CD plus the extremely cool "Complete Columbia Singles" which is loaded up with groovy mono mixes.

Sad day for music. RIP, PR.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Borderstone

Hey Jim.

Sad indeed but he had a wonderful life and crazy times as the bands leader,to be sure.

I got those 15 hits in a weird way. I got the vinyl LP " Paul Revere & The Raiders ‑ All‑time Greatest " Which goes from "Just Like Me" to "Indian Reservation". ..but skips "Like,Long Hair" & "Birds Of A Feather" . Those two I got on 45rpm. "Birds.." first an finally locating a copy of "L.L. Hair"

Also,the same day i got all their hits,I completed Ray Charles's & Bob Dylan's hits too. Pretty good sweep.

As a fan of the group,maybe you can answer this for me.

I saw a clip some years ago on a Dick Clark nostalgia special. It's in B & W and Paul & the boys are singing a song but some of the gyts are dismantleing or wrecking the piano at the same time.

The only line from this song I can recall is "woak-oh-oh-ohoh!" Which they repeat over & over. What's the name of that song? I don't seee the clip on You Tube anywhere. (Unless I'm not searching right,.)

Appreciate the help. Bye for now.

Last edited by Borderstone; 10-13-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

this is sad news. He was great to see live. The group headlined at the Alaska State fair some time in the 80's, (i'm old!) and he was wild! it was a really fun show and I was really glad that I had stumbled across it as I wandered though the fair.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote