banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
charlene

Default LIVE at Royal ALbert Hall 2016-NEW release!

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=...l34yJVsGeqKPVt

Gordon Lightfoot’s Final Album Set for Release in July

The singer/songwriter recorded the double album live in concert at London's Royal Albert Hall in May

The final album from Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, who died May 1 at age 84, will be released on July 14.

At Royal Albert Hall is a double album that was recorded live in concert at the legendary London venue on May 24, 2016. It’s Lightfoot’s fourth live album, following a 1962 release, Two Tones at the Village Corner; Sunday Concert (which reached No. 143 on the Billboard 200 in 1969); and All Live, a 2012 release.

At Royal Albert Hall is described in a press statement as “an unembellished live mix of that night’s performance, without edits, overdubs, remixing, or re-sequencing. It captures every song performed in the order they were played, down to the encore by Gordon and his band – Rick Haynes on bass, Barry Keane on drums, Mike Heffernan on keys, and Carter Lancaster on guitar.”

It is being released via Linus Entertainment, the Canadian independent label that released Harmony, Lightfoot’s last studio album with his band, in 2004. (A subsequent studio album, Solo, did not feature his band.)

The upcoming, 26-track album features six of Lightfoot’s 11 Billboard Hot 100 hits, including all four of his top 10 hits: “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Sundown,” “Carefree Highway” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” It also has his Hot 100 hits “Rainy Day People” and the exquisite “Beautiful” and includes “Early Morning Rain,” a Hot 100 hit that Lightfoot wrote in 1965 for Peter, Paul & Mary.

The collection also features songs that have never previously appeared on a live album, including “The Watchman’s Gone,” “Sea of Tranquility,” “Now and Then,” “All the Lovely Ladies,” “Drifters,” “Beautiful,” “Did She Mention My Name,” “Sweet Guinevere,” “Never Too Close,” “Don Quixote,” “Minstrel of the Dawn,” “I’d Rather Press On” and “Waiting for You.”

In the weeks prior to his death, Lightfoot reportedly insisted that this live album be released as soon as possible. He approved the cover artwork and made it clear that no changes were to be made to the recording.

Lightfoot’s songs have been recorded by Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Barbra Streisand and hundreds of other artists.

Lightfoot was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012. He won 13 Juno Awards in his native Canada, capped by his induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986. He won four Juno Awards for male vocalist of the year (1971-73 and 1975) and two for composer of the year (1973 and 1977). Lightfoot was nominated for four Grammys (but never won) — best folk performance for Did She Mention My Name (1968), best pop vocal performance, male for “If You Could Read My Mind” (1971) and song of the year and best pop vocal performance, male for “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” (1976).

The esteem with which Lightfoot was held was reflected in tweets and other messages that were released following his death. Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote: “We have lost one of our greatest singer-songwriters,” he states. Lightfoot “captured our country’s spirit in his music – and in doing so, he helped shape Canada’s soundscape. May his music continue to inspire future generations, and may his legacy live on forever. To his family, friends, and many fans across the country and around the world: I’m keeping you in my thoughts at this difficult time.”

Neil Young, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Brian Wilson, Belinda Carlisle and more also weighed in with thoughtful messages.

“Gordon was a great Canadian artist,” wrote Young, a fellow Canadian. “A songwriter without parallel, His melodies and words were an inspiration to all writers who listened to his music, as they will continue to be through the ages. There is a unique and wonderful feeling to Gordon’s music. Lightfoot is a Canadian legend.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Joel wrote: “Sad morning over here. Rest easy Gordon Lightfoot. So sad to hear of the death of Gordon Lightfoot. He was a lifelong musical hero of mine…”

“This one is really hard to write,” read a statement from Adams, another Canadian musician. “Once in a blue moon you get to work and hang out with one of the people you admired when you were growing up. I was lucky enough to say Gordon was my friend and I’m gutted to know he’s gone. The world is a lesser place without him. I know I speak for all Canadians when I say: thank you for the songs Gordon Lightfoot. Bless your sweet songwriting heart, RIP dear friend.”

Here’s the complete track listing for At Royal Albert Hall:
Disc One

“The Watchman’s Gone”
“Sea of Tranquility”
“Now and Then”
“All the Lovely Ladies”
“Drifters”
“A Painter Passing Through”
“Christian Island”
“Rainy Day People”
“Shadows”
“Beautiful”
“Carefree Highway”
“Did She Mention My Name”
“Ribbon of Darkness”
“Sundown”
Disc Two

“Sweet Guinevere”
“The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”
“Never Too Close”
“Don Quixote”
“Minstrel of the Dawn”
“I’d Rather Press On”
“Let It Ride”
“If You Could Read My Mind”
“Restless”
“Baby Step Back”
“Early Morning Rain”
“Waiting for You”
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: LIVE at Royal ALbert Hall 2016-NEW release!

https://linusentertainment.com/artists/

Live Gordon Lightfoot album, ‘At Royal Albert Hall,’ set for release in July.
The final album from revered Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, who passed away on May 1, 2023, at age 84, simply entitled At Royal Albert Hall will be released on July 14th, via Linus Entertainment, the Canadian independent label that released Lightfoot’s last studio album with his band, Harmony, in 2004.
Recorded live in concert in London England at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall on May 24, 2016, the double album set is an unembellished live mix of that night’s performance, without edits, overdubs, remixing, or re-sequencing. It captures every song performed in the order they were played, right down to the encore, by Gordon and his band - Rick Haynes on bass, Barry Keane on drums, Mike Heffernan on keys, and Carter Lancaster on guitar. It features Lightfoot’s best-known hits, and songs never previously appearing on a live album, including “The Watchman’s Gone”, “Sea of Tranquility”, “Now And Then”, “All The Lovely Ladies”, “Drifters”, “Beautiful”, “Did She Mention My Name”, “Sweet Guinevere”, “Never Too Close”, “Don Quixote”, “Minstrel of the Dawn”, “I’d Rather Press On” and “Waiting For You”.
After 50 years of hit making and with international album sales well into the multi-millions, Gordon Lightfoot is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time. Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012, his songs have been recorded by Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Barbara Streisand, and hundreds of others. His own recordings of “Early Morning Rain,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Carefree Highway”, “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” and “Sundown” are still among the most performed songs on radio in North America.
A lifetime spent performing live with his band, Gordon Lightfoot singled out London’s Royal Albert Hall as one of his favorite venues. In the final weeks prior to his passing on May 1, 2023, Gordon Lightfoot insisted that this live album be released as soon as possible, approving the cover artwork, and making it clear that no changes were to be made to the recording.
Pre-Oder the album here
https://linusentertainment.com/gordonlightfoot/
Track Listing:
Disc One
The Watchman's Gone (4:38)
Sea of Tranquility (3:34)
Now and Then (3:22)
All The Lovely Ladies (3:05)
Drifters (3:27)
A Painter Passing Through (4:11)
Christian Island (1:59)
Rainy Day People (2:07)
Shadows (3:15)
Beautiful (3:02)
Carefree Highway (2:22)
Did She Mention My Name (1:37)
Ribbon of Darkness (1:41)
Sundown (3:43)
Disc Two
Sweet Guinevere (2:40)
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (6:50)
Never Too Close (3:04)
Don Quixote (4:15)
Minstrel of the Dawn (2:41)
I'd Rather Press On (3:32)
Let It Ride (4:12)
If You Could Read My Mind (3:59)
Restless (3:50)
Baby Step Back (3:44)
Early Morning Rain (4:11)
Waiting For You (3:33)

https://linusentertainment.com/?fbcl...oUqyVEp_VtDgn8
Old 05-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #3
charlene

https://americansongwriter.com/the-l...eased-in-july/

A live album by esteemed singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, who died on May 1, will be released. He was 84. At Royal Albert Hall is expected to arrive on July 14, 2023.

The beloved Canadian artist recorded the double album from the London, England, concert hall. The recorded performance took place on May 24, 2016, marking his seventh appearance at the treasured venue.

Canadian Independent label Linus Entertainment is calling the forthcoming collection his last. The project will include Rick Haynes on bass, Mike Heffernan playing the keyboard, Carter Lancaster shredding the guitar, and Barry Keane delivering heart-thumping percussion.

At Royal Albert Hall serves as Lightfoot’s fourth live album. The highly anticipated project follows his 2012 releases All Live, Sunday Concert (1969), and Two Tones at the Village Corner (1962).

The tracklist will include a whopping 26 songs, which will feature a handful of his biggest hits. The stacked record will consist of his Billboard Hot 100 tracks—”The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Sundown,” “Rainy Day People,” “Beautiful,” “Early Morning Rain,” and among others.

Fans could also expect to hear songs that have never appeared on one of his live albums. For instance, “Don Quixote,” “Sweet Guinevere,” “Drifters,” “Now and Then,” and many more. According to a press release, the forthcoming project is “an unembellished live mix of the nights’ performance—without edits, overdubs, remixing or re-sequencing. It captures every song performed in the order they were played, right down to the encore.”

Billboard declared that the chart-topping artist requested that the double album be released immediately. Before he died, the singer “approved” the cover art and insisted that nothing should be altered to the live recording.

The folk icon, known for his poetic catalog, was catapulted into the spotlight in the early 1960s. However, it was after his track “If You Could Read My Mind” in the ’70s that he became an international household name. Notable musicians, including Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, and even Johnny Cash, have placed their own spin on Lightfoot’s music. The hitmaker was welcomed into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012, long after he was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986.

The GRAMMY-nominated artist’s longtime publicist, Victoria Lord, confirmed his death. He passed away at a Toronto, Canada hospital. The cause of death has yet to be announced. Following the devastating news, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged his legacy.

“We have lost one of our greatest singer-songwriters. Gordon Lightfoot captured our country’s spirit in his music – and in doing so, he helped shape Canada’s soundscape,” wrote the Canadian politician. “May his music continue to inspire future generations, and may his legacy live on forever. To his family, friends, and many fans across the country and around the world: I’m keeping you in my thoughts at this difficult time.”
Old 05-16-2023, 10:06 PM   #4
charlene

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci...h=4cbff45875e6

Gordon Lightfoot passed away on May 1 at the age of 84, leaving behind a remarkable body of work that continues to captivate fans. Since his untimely death, there has been a surge in the popularity of his music, a common occurrence when beloved artists depart. However, Lightfoot has accomplished a feat on the Billboard charts this week that is uncommon for any musical act, especially for artists who have left us.

In a remarkable achievement, the Canadian musician currently holds the top spot on Billboard's Rock Digital Song Sales chart this week. What makes this even more noteworthy is that Lightfoot has replaced his own hit with another. His single "Sundown" climbs to the coveted No. 1 position, while his former chart-topper, "If You Could Read My Mind," now settles for second place. The two titles trade places, with each taking a turn in the spotlight.

"Sundown" and "If You Could Read My Mind" are the only two songs by Lightfoot that have reached No. 1 on the Rock Digital Song Sales chart. This is not entirely surprising, considering the ranking was introduced long after his heyday.

Out of the five tracks that Lightfoot placed on the Rock Digital Song Sales chart, three only debuted after his death. This week, Lightfoot controls the top three positions on the purchase-only list. In addition to "Sundown" and "If You Could Read My Mind," his track "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" remains firm at No. 3.

While his three highest-ranking songs dominate the upper echelons of the Rock Digital Song Sales chart, another fan favorite, "Carefree Highway," has slipped from No. 5 to No. 11.

Lightfoot still has one more album coming, and since it’s set to drop shortly after his passing, it might produce more charting wins. Billboard reports that his live recording At Royal Albert Hall is due July 14.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:43 AM   #5
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default Re: LIVE at Royal Albert Hall 2016-NEW release!

This is AMAZING news and the album "At Royal Albert Hall" will be treasured. What I appreciate most is that Gord could have released it any time from 2016 onwards (and enjoyed the feedback), but he chose to have it held back until his passing as a posthumous heartwarmer/spiritlifter for his countless grieving fans. He did it for us!

This takes me back to some Corfid General Discussion threads in 2012 upon the release of his previous concert album "All Live".

On19Apr2012 Charlene started the thread titled "CTV interview"
https://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthrea...+decided+death
which included the following.

Whether victimized by an aortic aneurysm or careless newspaper editors, Gordon Lightfoot has danced with death plenty of times before. So it's more disarming than surprising to hear the 73-year-old Canadian songwriting legend speak so casually about his own mortality on a sunny spring afternoon at his home in north Toronto. So thoroughly have such concerns permeated Lightfoot's life that even something as simple as his new live disc "All Live" seems inextricably bound to some grim concerns. Initially, the album was intended for post-humous release -- in Lightfoot's own words, it was to come out "after (he was) pushing up daisies." But it's coming out on Tuesday instead, only because his longtime guitarist Terry Clements died last year and Lightfoot didn't want any confusion over who was behind the recording's ethereal lead guitar.

On 13Apr2012 Charlene started the thread titled "Toronto Sun with Gord @ home April 2012"
https://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26191
which included a reply from me.

My reply quoted the following statement from a media article which had appeared on Corfid:
"... he was only going to release it after his death, but after Terry died, he decided to release it before his own death."

The rest of my reply was as follows:
I think it's great (and so true of his character) that Gord wanted to leave us with a new recording after he departs this world. Now that this album has been brought forward, I wonder if he will want to leave us something else for that future time.

Now it's May2023 and we have lost our beloved Gordon Lightfoot and I suggest that what I wondered back then in my last 15 words has been answered.

Heartfelt thanks, Gord.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 05-21-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #6
charlene

I also think he wanted it out to acknowledge Carter and his tremendous talent and stage presence - I am very happy that Carter is on at least one LIGHTFOOT album ... so deserved!
Old 06-02-2023, 10:35 AM   #7

I have ordered this album. I'm looking forward to hearing the songs that haven't previously been on a live album, including "Now And Then", "Never Too Close" and "I'd Rather Press On". I'm hoping the album includes some of Gord talking to the audience between songs.
Old 06-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #8
charlene

September 1 - VINYL - info at:

https://linusentertainment.com/gordonlightfoot/

Recorded live in concert in London England at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall on May 24, 2016, the double album set is an unembellished live mix of that night’s performance, without edits, overdubs, remixing, or re-sequencing. It captures every song performed in the order they were played, right down to the encore, by Gordon and his band - Rick Haynes on bass, Barry Keane on drums, Mike Heffernan on keys, and Carter Lancaster on guitar. It features Lightfoot’s best-known hits, and songs never previously appearing on a live album, including “The Watchman’s Gone”, “Sea Of Tranquility”, “Now And Then”, “All The Lovely Ladies”, “Drifters”, “Beautiful”, “Did She Mention My Name”, “Sweet Guinevere”, “Never Too Close”, “Don Quixote”, “Minstrel of the Dawn”, “I’d Rather Press On” and “Waiting For You”.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:22 PM   #9
Rob1956

Default Royal Albert Hall Delayed

I had pre-ordered Gord's Royal Albert Hall concert from 2016 as soon as I heard it was going to be released. I got a release date somewhere around mid July. Just got a note from Amazon that the release date has been delayed from somewhere between late July into august. I wonder if the pre-orders were so many that they had to push back the release date to print more cds.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:11 PM   #10
seafarer62

Default Received- Lightfoot at Royal Albert Hall

Hello everyone: My CD copy of "Gordon Lightfoot at Royal Albert Hall" arrived today! (I actually ordered two.) I had ordered directly from Linus Entertainment, as soon as I heard about the album.

The set list appears pretty representative of Lightfoot concerts for the past decade or so. I have it playing in my computer right now and will rip to the hard drive. "A Painter Passing Through" was performed very well. And especially poignant with him gone now.

I think I attended more than 70 Lightfoot concerts dating back to 1977. Many great memories and meeting Lightfoot fans. The highest point was 3 nights at Massey Hall in May 2001, and meeting Gord and so many fellow fans from the old AOL Lightfoot newsgroup. I am so glad to own the Live Massey Hall (2012) CD and the now the concert from 2016 at Royal Albert Hall.

As a sidenote, my wife and I will be attending the August 10 Lightfoot Tribute concert at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in Chanhassen, MN. A Minnesota performer, Michael Monroe, will be performing Lightfoot favorites. I will try to grab a set list. The concert is now sold out, but three more shows have been added for March 2024.

John/Minnesota
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:05 AM   #11

Default Re: Received- Lightfoot at Royal Albert Hall

John,
Glad you received Gord's final (and posthumous) album. I ordered it on 21May and the supplier is still saying it's not released until 28Jul. I'm looking forward to hearing the songs that haven't previously been on a live album, including "Now And Then", "Never Too Close" and "I'd Rather Press On". I'm hoping the album includes some of Gord talking to the audience between songs.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #12
seafarer62

Default Re: Received- Lightfoot at Royal Albert Hall

Hello Dave: Good to hear from you again. A Winter's day for you down there in Australia.

There is actually little banter from Gord. A very business-like approach with the emphasis on the songs.

The liner notes are very minimal as well. No producer listed. Besides the names of the band members, he also includes the names of his traveling crew include the lighting, sound booth and stage manager. He also includes a recognition of his office administrator, Anne Leibold, and of course, Kim for being his inspiration.

I have finished listening to the entire concert now. A good representation of what Gord sounded like during the 2016 time period. No overdubs for a weak spot in the vocals. We get what the audience heard. Thank you Gordon for the foresight to have this disc ready, as a final gift to us. John

Last edited by seafarer62; 07-17-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #13

Seafarer John,

Thanks for your feedback on Gord's new and final album. I just received an email from Grooves.land (apparently based in Berlin), saying my CD was despatched on Aug2. It shows the order number, but no tracking number and I don't know if I have any way of tracking its journey. Still, I'm expecting it to arrive in the next few weeks and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #14
seafarer62

Hello Dave (down under): Keep the faith- I'm sure the Albert Hall CD will make it to you very soon.

The early reviews on Amazon have not been very favorable. It is about as I expected. There are people out there who are expecting the Gord voice of the mid 1970's or the mid 1990's. It is a one chance production with high and low points. Having attended a lot of Lightfoot concerts in the past 15 years, it is fairly representative of one of those concerts. Have heard better- have heard worse. But I am happy that there are songs in it that were not previously recorded live on the "All Live" CD.

I felt he really struggled with the vocals on Drifters and Don Quixote. But then I do like Sea of Tranquility and Now and Then on the disc. With this final release, Gord was able to get some lyrics on the Fitzgerald corrected: "At 7 pm it grew dark it was then....." "In a rustic old hall in Detroit....." He was able to modify If You Could Read My Mind, "the feelings that we lack......"

Lastly, he was able to get Carter Lancaster on disc, and it was a really classy act to put the names of the band members on the cover, in list of seniority order.

Please post your review when you get a chance to listen to the CD. Listen to it 3 or 4 times before you write anything. Best, John in Minnesota
Old 08-04-2023, 07:27 AM   #15

Thank you, Seafarer. Yes, all valid and perceptive comments. I'll post my amateur review once the album arrives in this far-flung outpost.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:52 PM   #16
charlene

ALBUM REVIEW.
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ource=facebook

Gordon Lightfoot At Royal Albert Hall

By Jason P. Woodbury

Genre:Rock

Label:Linus

Reviewed:August 4, 2023

Billed as his final album, this 2016 live set by the late songwriter is a thoughtful and intimate survey of his vast catalog.

Even before Gordon Lightfoot performed at London’s Royal Albert Hall on May 21, 2016, the legendary songwriter admitted to feeling like he was singing “on borrowed time.” Mortality loomed over much of his work throughout the decade. In 2012, he issued All Live, an album that he candidly admitted was intended as a posthumous release. The subject of age, and the wisdom it brings, suffuses Martha Kehoe and Joan Tosoni’s 2019 documentary If You Could Read My Mind. In the film, an aged Lightfoot reflects on his hard-living, hard-drinking early days, the darkness and anger that dogged him and hurt those closest to him, and the way his immersion in nature in the early 1970s via canoe trips into the Canadian wilderness helped to right his spiritual and creative compass. (Plus, you get his off-the-cuff accolades for his nearby neighbor, Drake.)

On At Royal Albert Hall, a live set that the Lightfoot estate has dubbed the late songwriter’s final album, Lightfoot sounds nothing but unburdened. The 26-song album is presented with no overdubs or fixes, only some audience fades. His discography has always made space for thoughtful interplay, and on these recordings, the band delivers. A sympathetic quartet of longtime collaborators round out his signature 12-string acoustic with Mike Heffernan’s soft rock synth pads, Carter Lancaster’s jazzy passages of electric guitar, and commanding rhythms from bassist Rick Haynes and drummer Barry Keane. Small and unexpected touches dot the set, from the flamenco dashes of “Christian Island” to the spiraling synths of “Shadows.”

Lightfoot’s miles-wide voice plays no small role in his classic material, but settled into a light, agreeable lilt, the focus shifts more to the songs: their emotional tone and stark lyricism. Though he’s often thought of in terms of pillowy soft rock, his pared down range reveals the darkness nestled among even his most pastoral narratives and gentle rockers, to say nothing of the outright menacing ballads, like 1974’s Cathy Smith-inspired “Sundown.” This vocal approach reveals more of the humor and sly wordplay, too: Performed here, that song slides along on a more agreeable current. Like his contemporaries Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, who gathered at Lightfoot’s house in 1975, where Mitchell performed a draw-dropping rendition of “Coyote,” Lightfoot’s voice sometimes cracks and falters, adding a ghostly, sly tone to his visions of about sailor’s dreams and the murky distance between winning and losing.

Outside of a few quick asides to the audience—“Here she comes!” or “That was another way of shortening a song,” after an abrupt stop—Lightfoot lets the songs do the talking. The stories they tell are layered. He opens with one of his finest, “The Watchman’s Gone.” Backed by a steady thump that echoes the Band on a stately march, he sings about the forces that kick would-be dreamers out of existence. “I’ve been on the town/Washing the bullshit down,” he sings with uncharacteristic profanity. These sorts of authority figures don’t show up all that often in his songs, and even when Lightfoot presents himself as one, it’s with a gentle shrug: “If you want to know my secret don’t come running after me/For I am just a painter passing through in history,” he sings on the balmy “A Painter Passing Through,” the title track of his 1998 album. Even when he does play the omniscient narrator, like on “Rainy Day People,” which receives a righteous clap of recognition, Lightfoot seems as baffled as anyone: “Rainy day people all know how it hangs on a piece of mind.”

The natural world plays a central theme in many of these songs, from the sunny travelogue of “Christian Island” to the gale force winds of “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” one of the most affecting performances of this set. “Every time I hear a song of his, it’s like I wish it would last forever,” Dylan once said of Lightfoot. “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” goes on for just under seven minutes in this rendition, but it carries an eternal feeling, like it’s always being sung somewhere, by someone. The very best Lightfoot songs have this quality, like he carved them out of solid wood, the sort of object that’s going to stick around long after its creator is gone.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:26 PM   #17

My copy of "At Royal Albert Hall" (21May2016) arrived 2-3 weeks ago. As soon as it started playing, I felt sad, knowing it's the final (and posthumous) release and hearing Gord's voice thinner than during the one Lightfoot concert I attended in 2008. But the recording quality and the musicianship by all band members is outstanding and Gord put 100% into the vocals despite his age and increasing health issues. I enjoyed hearing "The Watchman's Gone", "Sea Of Tranquility", "Now And Then", "Drifters", "Never Too Close" and other songs never previously appearing on a live album. It was stirring to hear the audience's emotional reactions to IYCRMM, EMR and TWOTEF, songs created half a century earlier so far from London and not performed in that part of the world for several decades. I noticed "Carefree Highway" was misnamed "Careful Highway" on the album cover and "Edmund" shows as "Edumnd" on my car dashboard screen. I wonder if those typos would have perfectionist Gord turning in his grave or (probably more likely) chuckling at something he couldn't have controlled. Today I'm lending the CD to my long-time optometrist who attended Gord's 1974 Melbourne concert and used to play the "East Of Midnight" album in his clinic. I'm also going to phone Melbourne resident Joveski (former prolific Corfid poster until the big IT glitch locked him out permanently) and make sure he hears the album or has already ordered it.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #18
seafarer62

Hello Dave- glad to hear the Albert Hall CD arrived in Australia. I have been playing it in my car the past few months. I'm happy to have the CD as a reminder of the many Lightfoot concerts I attended during the 2005-2022 period (after his major illness).

One thing funny: Carefree Highway is spelled correctly on the back of the jewel case. I ordered directly from Linus Entertainment, and not Amazon. Maybe Linus caught the error and updated the liner notes on their own sales.

Great to hear that you are telling your Australian friends about the final CD. It is the end of an era.

Losing Jimmy Buffett is some more salt in the wound. Also recently was Robbie Robertson. Add in Ronnie Hawkins and Ian Tyson in the past year are just some more. John Prine and Mac Davis in the past couple of years are other major losses.

The remaining guys of this group are: Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Paul Simon. Once we lose these guys, I will consider my music heroes totally gone. Like Gordon said on "East of Midnight," this time tomorrow we might all be packed and gone.

Dave- cheers from the North Hemisphere!

John- Minnesota

Last edited by seafarer62; 09-09-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #19

Seafarer,

You share my concern about our music heroes not having many years left. I've recently mourned Gordon Lightfoot, bluegrass freak Tony Rice (who covered many of Gord's songs) and Australia's Broderick Smith. I can still follow the careers of James Taylor, Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull, Jackson Browne, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens/Yusuf, Bob Seger (who recently retired from performing concerts) and just a few others. The day I realise none of them are creating or performing any more will be a very sad one (if I live that long).