banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
97-5 busdriver

What is your least favorite Gordon footLight soong?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
99-3 busdriver

I never really liked Carfree Highway much, I don't hate it or hold any grudges against it but am completely uninterested in it.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
DMD3

Being a pessimist, ain't you? Mine's gonna half to be "Canary Yellow Canoe".
Old 05-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
92-2 busdriver

All of em
Old 05-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
brink

I have never really cared for Don Quixote, this is a very scary topic, bound to get the ire up in somebody.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
SilverHeels

DMD3, I'm with you on this one. Canary
Yellow Canoe.

Brink- I am amazed that you dont like
DQ. I thought most of us loved that one.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Martin/12

Hard to imagine why some don't like what others treasure. Especially songs that have come to define Lightfoot as an artist. More evidence of a paralell universe, I suppose.

My least favorite is "May I."
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
Toano-Tide

My least favorite is :"May I". And I like almost everything Gord's done.
Toano-Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
joveski

just my opinion, but i never cared for the following:

pussywillows cta tals
last time i saw her
me and bobby mcgee
all i'm after
i'll prove my love
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #10
SomewhereupinMichigan

Who are all these unregistered bus drivers who have suddenly appeared on the forum? And why have they launched this topic, certain to cause dissension in the ranks? Is this some kind of public transit plot against Gord?
So, seriously, I have to agree that Canary Yellow Canoe is a bit rough around the edges and I think he must have only included it in the Songbook collection for the good memories that it brings him from his days of rough-riding the rapids of remote waters.
I can't believe that anyone would find fault with "The Last Time..." That song is a classic romantic ballad and I put it well into my Top 10. As for "Me and Bobby..." I don't count that one since it was a GL cover of the Kris Kristofferson tune.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:58 PM   #11
Borderstone

The people launching this "topic" are naturally just trying to cause trouble. Someone will get mad at them and they'll get they're cyber-space rocks off. Har-de-har-har A little advice to the children,go back to looking for adult sites,as people of your intelligence spend hours doing. Stop wasting your time here,no one wants to play with you or your Playskool busses. (All of 'em. Oh-I-am-so-an-gry-now. G-r-r-r-r-r.

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:01 PM   #12
Borderstone

HMMMMMM! 97-5? 99-3? 92-2? Obviously the years they were born. da-da? ma-ma?
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:04 PM   #13
joveski

no one is causing trouble with a thread like this, borderstone.

it's a legit topic - we all like some songs more than others. a lot of people don't like canary yellow canoe - that's the their opinion. i do like the song.

the ones i listed above aren't bad songs or anything - they just attract the skip button when i'm the captain of the stereo. that's all

Old 05-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #14
Rob1956

I never cared much for "Canary Yellow Canoe"
either, but I always thought it was just a knockoff that Gord wrote in a few minutes, while just foolin' around. I think he included it on Songbook just for the heck of it.
As for the unregistered people, let's just ignore 'em, just pretend they're not there.
Unless it gets really nasty.
They are just looking for us to notice them and comment on them...ok?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #15
TheWatchman

This topic has come up many times since I have been a member here. I must admit, I had a hard time getting into "Ringneck Loon" but now I really like it a lot. I guess I just had to listen to it and the right moment to get into it.

Okay, there is a song that I always skip and I am sure many of you will fall over when I say it. It's "Beautiful". I have never really connected with that one.lol I know it is a favorite here...
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #16
joveski

watchman said it!

i also hated ringneck loon but love it now.

Beautiful isn't bad but it's the only song on Don Quixote that i skip sometimes. actually listened to the al;bum last night and skipped that tune when it came on.

i'm not supposed to care is another one in the sdame boat as beautiful
Old 05-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #17
Doug From Seoul

I've been a real Lightfoot fan since Old Dan's Record came out, and been to many a concert up the Paramount Theater, Denver, in Aug 2000. Can't wait till he tours again. I check in on this forum from time to time to get the latest on this most talented man. That said, I get amused at the rabid responses from a few overcommitted "registered" fans to questions or discussions that don't necessarily over-glorify Mr. Lightfoot. I bet if Gordon Lightfoot were asked "which of your songs do you like the least," he would come out and tell us which ones were real tankers. We should be open to all facets of this very human being. And to the narrow-minded, I'd say "boy, get a life!"
Old 05-14-2003, 03:53 AM   #18
SilverHeels

Brink,

leave it a while, then try listening to DQ
again. REALLY listen, go with Gord, hear
what he's saying. See the pictures he paints. I think it might grow on you. Go on, give it a try.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #19
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:
Who are all these unregistered bus drivers who have suddenly appeared on the forum? And why have they launched this topic, certain to cause dissension in the ranks? Is this some kind of public transit plot against Gord?
So, seriously, I have to agree that Canary Yellow Canoe is a bit rough around the edges and I think he must have only included it in the Songbook collection for the good memories that it brings him from his days of rough-riding the rapids of remote waters.
I can't believe that anyone would find fault with "The Last Time..." That song is a classic romantic ballad and I put it well into my Top 10. As for "Me and Bobby..." I don't count that one since it was a GL cover of the Kris Kristofferson tune.

Tis probably the same person entering different names. Sometimes people do things like this to get some laughs. I've bin tempted before but I have never done this.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #20
ambrose

i can't even believe that was a question..

i derive extreme pleasure from all of GL's music.

ambrose
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:33 PM   #21
MaryEllen

Now, I, for one, don't care about the motivation of the busdriver who first posted this topic, because it has evoked some interesting responses!

Brink, I think you have the same problem with "Don Q" that I sometimes have (or I should say HAD) with Gord's songs if the melody is very simple and the lyrics are, shall we say, dense. I noticed that often the ones I took a bit of time getting used to (and to get used to a Gord song is to get close to it) had that characteristic.

Also, I had trouble at first if the song reminded me of some other artist. For example, I didn't care for "Minstrel of the Dawn" (thought it too saccharine--like Donovan); "Circle of Steel" (thought it couldn't hold a candle to Elvis's cover of Mac Davis's "In the Ghetto"); or--and this astonishes me now--"Seven Island Suite" (lotsa words, lotsa strumming--a la Van Morrison of that era--I'm a fan of Van's and couldn't give "7IS" its proper due until I got past that). But all three of them grew on me.

And there are Gord fans who simply can't "get next to" the early stuff (too folky) or the late stuff (because of the difference in his voice).

But ALL of Gord's music rewards the persistent listener.

[This message has been edited by MaryEllen (edited May 14, 2003).]
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #22
violet Blue Horse

Exactly! I couldn't agree more. I gave this question some thought, and even ran through the list of his songs on this site, and there are some songs I like more than others, but they all have their merits. But then I feel the same way about John Hiatt Lyrics and Van Morrison and John Stewart. Some reach out and grab you and never let go, and others you have to kind of warm up to. But nothing of Gordons has ever left me completely flat.

quote:Originally posted by MaryEllen:
But ALL of Gord's music rewards the persistent listener.

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(
Old 05-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #23
DMD3

I just looked at the lyrics for "For Lovin Me" on this sight and I don't like it very much because a mean person was telling that story.

"I've got 100 more like you"
"I'll have 1000 before I'm thru"
Old 05-15-2003, 11:29 AM   #24
Jack

Gord is not so thrilled about that song anymore either, DMD3. I have read and heard him say that more than once. I think he tries to tame the arrogance of it by pairing it with "Did She Mention My Name?" which, of course, is the flip side of the romance coin.

My least favorite song? Hmmm, I'd have to say that "Bitter Green" usually get the skip button. And I don't like listening to "Beautiful" out of the context of a wedding or some similar romantic situation. I also often utilize the skip button on "Make Way for the Lady"...but in concert, this song just blows me away. So I guess you could say that those two are situation-specific least favorites.

Jack
Old 05-15-2003, 11:37 AM   #25
Alberta

Ode to Big Blue gets the "skip" for me....
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote