banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
malspapa

Just sitting here with my headphones on (and about 2 ounces of Seagrams VO warming my belly and easing my aches and pains) listening to "The Best Of Lightfoot". I honestly believe that, here in the states at least, Gordon has been among the most grossly underappreciated throughout his career. Oh well, we aren't generally known for our good taste down here. I predict someday he will be ranked among the greatest by those who determine such things. Some of us rank him there already.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
Doug Letcher

Here Here!!!!!!!!!!
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #3
Wes Steele

Malspapa...

Could not agree with you more about GL being underappreciated, especially here in the U.S.

You have to question the record companies first though. I believe they are at fault. Whatever GL accomplished, he did it on his own...from "If You Could Read My Mind" (Seattle DJ loved it and started playing it on his own...NO help from record company.) to "The Wreck" (DJ's played it on their own).

The problem today is that a "so called" program director at a radio station is one job higher than the janitor. They have just about NO say so to what gets on the air. There orders are taken from New York, New Jerk, or from LA LA California.

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see ANY of these cuts from this latest album getting ANY airplay...

By The Way, I love that drink you are drinking...VO, Natures Most Perfect Thirst Quencher....LOL

Wes
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Jim Nasium

Interested to read the remarks re radio playlists. We have a similar thing here in the UK, we tend to hear the same 40 or 50 songs through the week, especially on BBC Radio 2, the station I listen to all day.

However I think presenters and producers can be a little flexible at times. This week, for example, Jeremy Vine played Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah by Kathryn Williams on Monday, he was inundated with e mails saying right song, wrong version with suggestions for alternative versions. As a result he played Jeff Buckley's version on Tuesday (outstanding version). Wednesday he played a version by John Cale. Today (Thursday) he played Rufus Wainwright's version. Tomorrow we will hear, what I consider to be the definitve version, Leonard Cohen himself.

It is fair to say that the BBC are not constrained by advertising revenue, which I assume is a big factor across the pond.

This is a GL site, so I can say that today Terry Wogan played IYCRMM on his show.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Next Saturday

My theory on what helped Norah Jones (Who I think is great, by the way)to rise in the public's consciousness? Exposure on NPR. Linus not only has a great album--they have a great news story which would make for a well-rounded profile. Maybe you'll see the real launch if Gord starts playing live...
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

This is a GL site, so I can say that today Terry Wogan played IYCRMM on his show.[/B]

And Radio London played 'Daylight Katy'!
Now if I can only get them to play something from 'Harmony'.
Hey, Jim - you wanna help out ? Email me.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Jim Nasium:

This is a GL site, so I can say that today Terry Wogan played IYCRMM on his show.

Hi Jim
As I reported in my reply to Dunkin Duncan's topic on "excitement" I was able to hear Wogan on the net earlier. Marvellous system this internet thingie!!
I just looked up your corfid profile which is strange as it says you joined last month and have made but 2 postings yet if you then click the "see all postings" link it comes up with some 19 from you several in 2003 Pretty dumb
Any comment Florian??

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

John,

I think the earlier 17 postings were done before JN registered as a member. The number of posts in the profile only tallies those made as a registered member.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
DMD3

GL's day will come... just you wait...