banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-12-2002, 10:13 AM   #1
ChristopherPennington

Can anyone explain to me what GL means by this? Not the song, just the line "It's cold on the shoulder". Thanks in advance for any input.
ChristopherPennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
70sFan

Can anyone explain to me what GL means by this? Not the song, just the line "It's cold on the shoulder". Thanks in advance for any input.
70sFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
jbt

i took the line literally, that it's cold on the shoulder of a road, i.e. when one is walking. gord often sings of road weariness and traveling, so i just always thought he meant that.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
jbt

i took the line literally, that it's cold on the shoulder of a road, i.e. when one is walking. gord often sings of road weariness and traveling, so i just always thought he meant that.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:33 PM   #5
violet Blue Horse

Yep, that's what I always figured it meant. It's cold on the shoulder of the road compared to being in the cars going down the road with the heater on. Course you could take it a step further and assume from the context in which it appears, that the shoulder of the road is a metaphore for someone who choses to refrain from getting involved in relationships and life, and prefers instead to be "on the shoulder" of life, rather than on the road. It may be safer on the shoulder, but it's colder and lonely.

quote:Originally posted by jbt:

------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

--R.W. Emerson
Old 10-12-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

Yep, that's what I always figured it meant. It's cold on the shoulder of the road compared to being in the cars going down the road with the heater on. Course you could take it a step further and assume from the context in which it appears, that the shoulder of the road is a metaphore for someone who choses to refrain from getting involved in relationships and life, and prefers instead to be "on the shoulder" of life, rather than on the road. It may be safer on the shoulder, but it's colder and lonely.

quote:Originally posted by jbt:

------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

--R.W. Emerson
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

Hitch hiking, from NB. to ONT. It's December,24th, your on the shoulder, of the road, and it's cold. Dont want to get hit by a truck, so your on the inside{RIGHT} of the yellow line. Which is the shoulder.

'Cold On The Shoulder.'
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

Hitch hiking, from NB. to ONT. It's December,24th, your on the shoulder, of the road, and it's cold. Dont want to get hit by a truck, so your on the inside{RIGHT} of the yellow line. Which is the shoulder.

'Cold On The Shoulder.'
Old 06-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
DJ in MJ

Interesting, JJ. Sounds like a partial reference to "10 Degrees And Getting Colder".

And oddly enough, that song is from the album, "SUMMER Side Of Life"! :D
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

You are correct my good man, 2 beautiful Lightfoot Treasures. The Summer Side Of Life, album was almost has good as, Back Here On Earth.

Red Shea was definitely the best guitar player of the 2.

But I know what you mean "10 Degrees And Getting Colder," on Summer...lol...JJ.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

You are correct my good man, 2 beautiful Lightfoot Treasures. The Summer Side Of Life, album was almost has good as, Back Here On Earth.

Red Shea was definitely the best guitar player of the 2.

But I know what you mean "10 Degrees And Getting Colder," on Summer...lol...JJ.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
rickv

"Your love belongs to us" - what does Gord mean by that? Was he a closet hippie who advocated communal living? Ha!
rickv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
RM

It's amazing that such an old thread is brought back to the forefront. I think it speaks volumes for the Lightfoot magic.

Personally, I drew a conclusion from the album cover itself. The woman over his right shoulder. The past that one regrets.

In summary, heck I don't know. I think it was Rez who once posted that he had asked Lightfoot what "Shadows" was about, and Lightfoot replied, "If I told you, it wouldn't be yours".

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #14
ELizabeth

You are correct...it was Rez who GL told '...it wouldn't be yours'
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Next Saturday

Take it from the horse's mouth (Songbook liner notes)

3/5. COLD ON THE SHOULDER
We've all been there. Sounds to me like someone who has been away from his lady for a long time and wants to get her back. Maybe he's promising to change his ways, but he definitely will do whatever it takes to get back in her good graces. The loneliness and remorse is getting to be a little too much, it's a little bit cold out there, so he's coming back in to stay.
________
BMW R3

Last edited by Next Saturday; 01-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Peter Bro10

I wasn't too sure whether I should start a new "topic" or revive an old thread.... well my choice is obvious at this point. I came upon this one looking to see if my "quesion" had already been answered. some interesting takes on "cold on the shoulder".

My silly question of the day is this: In the song "10 degrees and getting colder" is that 10 degrees Fahreneit or 10 degrees Celsius? If it's Celsius it's not too bad, a bit chilly perhaps. If on the otherhand it's 10 degrees Fahreneit that's just plain cold, and no doubt his feet are nearly frozen!!
oh and by the way, good to be back on corfid again! I missed y'all.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
Auburn Annie

I always took it to be Fahrenheit because of the coldness, e.g. "for his feet are almost frozen". Ten Celsius is somewhere around 50 Fahrenheit, cool but well above freezing.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
Auburn Annie

I always took it to be Fahrenheit because of the coldness, e.g. "for his feet are almost frozen". Ten Celsius is somewhere around 50 Fahrenheit, cool but well above freezing.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote