banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2000, 11:35 PM   #1
Wingdrops

Florian and crew:

Can anyone tell me anything about the above LP? It is listed on e-Bay as a 1979 release from the company Pickwick (?) with a song list that includes the following:

Rosanna; Pussywillows, Cat-Tails; Bitter Green; If You Got It; Rich Man Spiritual; Softly; The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; Home From The Forest; Mountains and Marian

If there is some version of these songs on this album that differs from the UA release, I would be interested in bidding.

Any help?

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 11:35 PM   #2
2Much2Lose

Florian and crew:

Can anyone tell me anything about the above LP? It is listed on e-Bay as a 1979 release from the company Pickwick (?) with a song list that includes the following:

Rosanna; Pussywillows, Cat-Tails; Bitter Green; If You Got It; Rich Man Spiritual; Softly; The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; Home From The Forest; Mountains and Marian

If there is some version of these songs on this album that differs from the UA release, I would be interested in bidding.

Any help?

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 06:33 AM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

No, there is nothing unique there. That LP is one of far too many reissues of the UA recordings on both LP and now CD. I'm sure that UA's (now EMI's, soon to be WB's) repeated reissue of his songs in various combinations has been at least as distressing to Gord as it is to us. Luckily, today - because of the Internet - it is possible to research all the albums, including those no longer in print, before buying. I have some of the reissues myself, bought before it was possible to figure out what albums there were and what was on them. Today, I do occasionally buy an LP that is only reissues just to have the different physical album which occasionally even has unique artwork.

An additional irritation on these reissues - which carries forth into the CDs - is that whoever packages them doesn't even bother to indicate which recording it is, when there is more than one. So, if you pick up an album with CRT, for example, you don't know if you are getting the original studio recording or the one from Sunday Concert ...

Anyhow, there are four UA studio albums (Lightfoot!, The Way I Feel, Did She Mention My Name, Back Here On Earth), plus the one live album Sunday Concert. If you have those five (or CDs which contain them), you have all the UA era recordings issued on LP. There are also 6 additional studio tracks available only on Bear Family CDs (5 on their Sunday Concert Plus and one on their Did She Mention My Name/Back Here On Earth Plus CD). So, there are a total of 66 UA period recordings - 49 on the four studio LPs, 11 on SC and the 6 bonus tracks.

And, for the sake of completeness, there are also two bootleg LPs. They are Get Together and Yellow Bird, released in 1979 by Koala Records. These two albums contain tracks from a live performance in 1964 plus 3 or 4 tracks that aren't even Gord. On Ebay these two albums generally go for as much as $200.

------------------
Valerie Magee

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited May 19, 2000).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 01:31 PM   #4
Florian

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for clearing this up in such great detail. (huh, so I didn't have to do it ).
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 12:29 AM   #5
dill23

See, it's like I always say, Want to know spomething about Gord, ask Valerie.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 12:29 AM   #6
Rob Wells

See, it's like I always say, Want to know spomething about Gord, ask Valerie.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote