banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Gord H

Fooled ya didn't I?? :D My dad whose name is also Gord ( great choice in name I might add) caught this today out of the Grand River here in Southern Ontario Canada.

Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Borderstone

Awesome catch!!! I've never been fishing in my life but even I'm impressed!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
brink

Your dad looks quite well Gord. He made a great recovery. Glad he is back out and keeping busy. So what are the stats on the fish?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Gord H

It weighed in at 7lbs Yes Dad has begun to wind down his working life and concentrate more on retirement, after what he went through couple of years ago can't say I blame him.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Hope he didn't catch that fish off his porch! You never know what's swimming around in those waters, heh heh heh!!! (just kidding -- awesome catch -- tell Dad hi!)
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
<jbt>

so so sad that so many are happy about an animal that was caught and killed. gord h, how many lbs were you when you born? and wouldn't you be terrified to see your little body displayed like candy in a window...stick to something less disgusting people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Borderstone

Jbt,fish are caught in lakes,streams and at sea in large nets almost everyday somewhere on earth.

People eat fish to survive. It's part of life and if you don't eat fish personally,well,that's your choice.

Gordon Lightfoot fishes,are you going to yell at him too? :D

Bigger fish eat smaller fish like that one so they can live,are you going to lead a protest to stop that as well? :D :D

It's not like these fish are like the one's in "Finding Nemo" and miss each other.
By the way,fish are Mammals not animals! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Animals have four legs (except humans).

If you were talking about senseless animal killing by "poaching",I'd back you up all the way but this is just ridiculous.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
Don Quixote

I'm with you all the way, B'stone, except you need a refresher biology class. Fish are in no way mammals; they hatch from eggs, are cold-blooded, don't suckle their young, don't have hair, and don't cause large amounts of methane gas to be spewed into the air (I mean like cows and horses, of course, not anyone here).
Although vegetarianism and protection of animals may be praiseworthy, the plain fact is that animals certainly do eat other animals,(and if predators are lacking, then the population goes out of control and disease and starvation face the animals that are preyed upon) and part of our growth as a species was due to the fact that we consumed energy-dense animal protein as part of our diet. Of course now we overdo it and eat triple cheeseburgers and whole racks of ribs and the like; we could certainly get by with much less protein than we consume to the detriment of our health and our planet's health.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #9
violet Blue

Spoken like a true militant vegitarian.

You wouldn't last a day in Big Bear pfffthhhh . . . Speaking of which, anyone know of a good source for Venison? A couple friends are looking to make their world famous Venison chili and grill a few steaks.

Great picture by the way Gord.

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;jbt&gt;:
so so sad that so many are happy about an animal that was caught and killed. gord h, how many lbs were you when you born? and wouldn't you be terrified to see your little body displayed like candy in a window...stick to something less disgusting people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Iron

Violet Blue
I don't know how You go about it in your neck-o-the woods,but around these here parts,for venison,this is how we normally would go about the task:
You go out and find you a deer.You have the person holdin the light in the deer's eyes hold yer beer whilst you take careful aim,and bang,you got you a deer.Wait a couple minutes or so to make sure there are'nt any sucspisious lights heading in your general direction,then go retrieve the carcuss and transport to the nearest barn/garage/processing center, and get busy.If you need more,repeat process...
Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #11
violet Blue

We don't have any deer in this neck of the woods unfortunately. Mostly bear and coyote - both too tough for chili. We'll there's squirrel, but yech.

Anyway, I was hoping for an internet or mail order source [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron:
Violet Blue
I don't know how You go about it in your neck-o-the woods,but around these here parts,for venison,this is how we normally would go about the task:
You go out and find you a deer.You have the person holdin the light in the deer's eyes hold yer beer whilst you take careful aim,and bang,you got you a deer.Wait a couple minutes or so to make sure there are'nt any sucspisious lights heading in your general direction,then go retrieve the carcuss and transport to the nearest barn/garage/processing center, and get busy.If you need more,repeat process...
Hope this helps.
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Iron

I understood your request Violet Blue,I was just hoping to annoy someone else a bit.specifacly the un-r jbt.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #13
Gord H

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I don't concern myself with drive by flames from unregistered people.

Having said that where I am from, it is against the law to harrass people who lawfully engage in the sport of fishing and or hunting.

Years ago I had someone yell at me while I was at Port Dover claiming I was a "murderer" bla bla, all I can is that this person was lucky I held my temper and didn't throw " their balls to the sharks" if you will.

Anyhooooo
Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
Harmony

Nothing wrong with fishing and hunting. In fact, we need some more hunters around; the deer population is sky-rocketing. You're just as well off to get in your vehicle and drive around on a country road late at night until a deer runs out in front of you as you are hunting with a rifle.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
Chris Castleberry

I love animals. They're delicious. :D
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #16
Borderstone

Chris ate "Animal" from the Muppets??!! How could you Chris??!! ( :D :D
Old 11-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
Molly

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Nice catch and a great memory captured on film!

I believe there is nothing wrong with enjoying trapping, hunting and fishing, as long as the animals are not poached or killed just for the sake of killing.

I used to hunt every spare moment I had. I would eat what I killed and also owned a small business where I tanned hides for hunters and trappers.

And by the way, I do brake for animals. I eat them and wear their fur.
I don't hunt and I am not against hunting unless it is done on a "farm" where they raise trophy animals for the sake of some rich people coming in to shoot the nearly tamed animals.
I don't wear fur. I haven't heard of too many people eating mink, fox, raccoon etc. What is done to baby seals is enough to make me puke!! That I think is disgusting. If you are hunting i.e. deer, and eat the meat and use the hide fine. I eat meat so I am not some crazed animal rights person, but some of the tactics are neanderthal to kill for a hide or a rack is not right. I brake for animals too, and some people.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #18
Harmony

Actually, I wouldn't mind hunting. Nothing wrong with getting in the deerstand and just relaxing away. It wouldn't bother me to shoot a deer, but my dad says I'll have to help skin it, and I DO NOT want any part of that; it's disgusting! (I don't mind eating it though :D )
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
Chris Castleberry

I don't care much for skinning a deer, either, Harmony.
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #20
Iron

I don't mind the skinning part{Deer,Really easy with the golf ball method},cutting up the meat don't bother me a bit.THOSE DANG GUT'S.The site of em don't bother me a bit,kind of interesting actually,but as soon as that smell hit's me,that's it.
Though I really like venison and some other wild game,and I partake in harvesting some of these critter's,I do not consider "Hunting" to be a sport.[ie.hunters/-sportsmen?]And I really don't care for the thought of trapping nowadays,as we are no longer dependent upon fur's for our existance.I just don't like to see critters suffer in those leg traps like they must do.TJMO about trapping,take it with salt..
If hunting was a sport,you would go out and set in a tree,wait for a deer or whatever critter yer after to get underneath you,jump onto the critters back and see who triumph's.
I'd like to see that one on espn.Now that would be a little more sportin than shootin one 200 yds away with your 25-06.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #21
Borderstone

You guys leave Bambi & his momma alone!!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote