banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
charlene

Default Madison, WI-Capitol Theatre-Mar.22-2014

Rick: We've been here in Madison, WI many times. Great room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison, WI-Capitol Theatre-Mar.22-2014-RH.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	6801  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Madison, WI-Capitol Theatre-Mar.22-2014

Rick: at The Capitol Theater in Madison,, WI, getting ready for sound check - that's my buddy, Mike Heffernan at the keyboards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison,WI-CapitolTh.Mar.22-2014-RHpic.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	6806  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
charlene

Jennifer Perry report and setlist: no pics tho..

Yesterday my friend Micky and I traveled to Madison WI to see Gordon in concert. I am always thankful when I get to do this, but especially so this time, as my husband's parents and my mother are all experiencing significant health issues, and early in the week it was looking doubtful that we would be able to go.
Also, Micky was diagnosed late last year with Parkinson's. Last July she wasn't feeling well enough to go to a show with me in Appleton, where we live, but with medication, and two months in Florida this winter, she was feeling up for a road trip.
We left around 3:30, and the Garmin brought us to within inches, it seemed, of the steps of the Capitol building. On a different road trip, my son Matt and I were discussing how cool it would be if you could get a GPS programmed with different voices. Although I suppose people would then veer off course intentionally just to hear Benedict Cumberbatch, or Gordon Lightfoot, say "Recalculating!"
Micky and I stopped at a Noodles & Company on a corner where a man with a guitar was singing about his mother. Micky had taken a new medication that morning that managed to make her feel both jittery and exhausted, but she felt much better after some chicken noodle soup.
We meandered over to the Overture Center, a very nice venue with two concert halls. Gord was playing in the smaller one, the Capitol Theatre. In 2006, we had seen him in the larger one (at least I think it was). This was during the time after he had suffered the ministroke and was having trouble strumming, and so he had an opening act and played one set. This was also the time my husband fell asleep during the show and lost his Lighthead privileges...and now we must not speak of it again.
The show began on time, as always. I will never get over the sense of almost giddy anticipation that arrives as the hall darkens and the band appears, followed by The Man, who on this night received a long and loud ovation.
Gord's voice was good right out of the gate, and never really wavered. The audience was appreciative but a bit subdued, although this began to change as the songs (and the alcohol) flowed, and a couple of characters began to emerge, who will henceforth be known as Singalong Guy and Balcony Girl.
The "polka dot underwear" line got a good laugh when Wild Strawberries was played, which Gord called a "dark horse" that they had brought out of storage. The intro to Beautiful drew a lot of applause, but the audience really roared for the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and Singalong Guy began his own little concert. The line about Wisconsin always elicits shouts, whoops, and applause.
"I LOVE YOU, GORD!" yelled Balcony Girl.
He was more chatty during the second set. "YEAH!" bellowed Singalong Guy as soon as Ribbon of Darkness ended and Sundown began. At least Singalong Guy was in the right key.
This was my first opportunity to see Carter standing shoulder to shoulder with Gord during Sundown and Baby Step Back. I thought this added a lot to the show, and Carter was outstanding.
AS Gord was introducing If Children Had Wings, he mentioned how his ex-wife had taken the kids to Europe, and how much he missed them.
"I'm sorry!" shouted Balcony Girl. "I'm sorry! I'M SORRY!!!"
After Baby Step Back, he mentioned how it had been inspired on a golf course, and then demonstrated how that worked by walking back and forth across the stage. He also said that he used to have sporting pursuits, that he had been a curler, and that he had met Carefree Highway Ann at the curling rink.
If You Could Read My Mind was flawless as always. "I LOVE THIS SONG!" shrieked Balcony Girl. Singalong Guy sang along.
The meet and greet afterward was quite brief, but I was able to give Gordon a copy of my book, since he is in two chapters of it. He handed it to Warren and said "Put this with the other treasures." At least I think that's what happened...I may have dreamt it. And he signed a copy for me. He was friendly and gracious as always.
On the drive home I met a very nice Wisconsin State Trooper who was a little concerned about me and the speed limit and how the two were related. He let us go with a warning and we got home around 1 AM.
Sorry for the length of this post; it can be difficult to determine how much detail everyone wants when hearing about these shows.

Madison WI setlist March 22, 2014

Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenny
Waiting For You
Never Too Close
Don Quixote
Wild Strawberries
Make Way For The Lady
Spanish Moss into
Shadows
Beautiful
Let It Ride
The Watchman's Gone
Wreck of the EF
Carefree Highway

*Intermission*

Now and Then
Ribbon of Darkness into
Sundown
*band intro*
Drifters
All the Lovely Ladies
I'd Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
If Children Had Wings
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song For A Winter's Night
Encore - Rainy Day People
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Patti

Nice photos. The night of the concert in Madison, I had a dream that after everyone left, Gordon was walking in the seating section of the Capitol Theatre. The photo looked just like it was in my dream.

p.s. ...and it's nice to read about the concerts. Thanks for sharing. I didn't mean for it to look like I ignored that, but when I saw that photo, just after I had dreamed that, I sort of felt like telling someone. In the dream, I was there, talking with him, but of course, it was just a dream.

Last edited by Patti; 03-25-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
bethr

Love the description of the concert in Madison, Jennifer (and Charlene). Really adds to my own memories. Yes, Balcony Girl made quite an impression on us all I guess. It was a lovely evening to be sure. Thanks for sharing, very funny descriptions!
bethr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
niffer

Thank you, Patti.

Beth, where were you sitting? It was a great show, wasn't it?
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
bethr

Hi - I got my ticket a few hours before the show, so I was ecstatic that I got 9th row center. Had the lovely feeling that Gord was looking at me a number of times, but then, like with every great performer, I'm sure everyone thought that I had seen him the Saturday before in St. Charles and this hall's acoustics were so much better and I could hear his voice so much more clearly. It was a completely last minute decision to go on my part, thanks to a dear man on Gord's Fan facebook page who said, GO! So, I did - hopped in the car, drove alone for the 2.5 hours, listening to Shadows, enjoying every minute of that (repeat, repeat). I was lucky enough to meet him after by the backstage door, so that 2.5 hour drive was more of a float home Happy, happy girl! Where were you seated?
bethr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
niffer

We were in the center also, most likely a few rows ahead of you. Singalong Guy was probably right between us

How cool that you got to meet him. I have had that privilege 8 times now, and each time is almost overwhelming. He seemed to be in a very good mood that night, happy with the show and looking forward to getting back home.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethr View Post
H It was a completely last minute decision to go on my part, thanks to a dear man on Gord's Fan facebook page who said, GO!
Gordon's OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE is https://www.facebook.com/GordonLightfootOfficial