banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Rob

Well, hi, I'm new here. I've been a GL fan since I could remember. I grew up listening to him, I'm 21 now and still a huge fan.

The first album I owned was "Waiting For You", but I didn't buy it, my uncle who was a huge GL fan gave it to me. After my uncle passed I became even a bigger fan because GL's music really helped and inspired me through those rough times. A few months later I went to my first GL concert, that was in 2002, and got to meet him afterwards and shake his hand and thank him for his music.

Anyway, then a year ago I went out and actually bought my first album, Gord's Gold Vol. II.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
Crystal

Well, hi, I'm new here. I've been a GL fan since I could remember. I grew up listening to him, I'm 21 now and still a huge fan.

The first album I owned was "Waiting For You", but I didn't buy it, my uncle who was a huge GL fan gave it to me. After my uncle passed I became even a bigger fan because GL's music really helped and inspired me through those rough times. A few months later I went to my first GL concert, that was in 2002, and got to meet him afterwards and shake his hand and thank him for his music.

Anyway, then a year ago I went out and actually bought my first album, Gord's Gold Vol. II.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #28
RaisinSpores

Gord's Gold was my first.

Then one night my car stereo was stolen from my car (along with several CDs, including Gord's Gold, which I promptly replaced). I went to circuit city to buy another, and while they were installing it, I decided to browse through the CDs. I wanted to buy SOMETHING so I could try out my new car stereo's CD player on the drive home. I found the UA collection for something like 9 dollars; I couldn't believe it was so cheap, so I bought it. And loved it! If my car stereo had not been stolen, I probably would have never discovered any of Gord's music outside of the songs on Gord's Gold.

The first "real album" I bought was Summertime Dream.
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #29
Winter's Claw

Gord's Gold was my first.

Then one night my car stereo was stolen from my car (along with several CDs, including Gord's Gold, which I promptly replaced). I went to circuit city to buy another, and while they were installing it, I decided to browse through the CDs. I wanted to buy SOMETHING so I could try out my new car stereo's CD player on the drive home. I found the UA collection for something like 9 dollars; I couldn't believe it was so cheap, so I bought it. And loved it! If my car stereo had not been stolen, I probably would have never discovered any of Gord's music outside of the songs on Gord's Gold.

The first "real album" I bought was Summertime Dream.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #30
Wesley

Quote:
Originally posted by Crystal:

Huuuuuum. That's kind of interesting how 1's passing can have such an effect.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #31
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crystal:

Huuuuuum. That's kind of interesting how 1's passing can have such an effect.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #32
Rob

Yeah, it is, but if you'd known my uncle you'd know why his passing caused me such heart ache. He was like a second father to me since I hardly knew my real dad. He lived with us and every night he'd play Gordon and sang along to every song. He'd been a GL fan since he was a teenager.

He was the one that actually bought the tickets to the concert and was excited to be taking me to my first GL concert, but he ended up passing before he could take me.

The night of the concert I remember watching Gordon play and listening to the words and it just made me feel lucky to have had a man like my uncle in my life.

It weird how music can be connected to your life and help you through bad times, but I'm very appreciative of it, and GL's music.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #33
Crystal

Yeah, it is, but if you'd known my uncle you'd know why his passing caused me such heart ache. He was like a second father to me since I hardly knew my real dad. He lived with us and every night he'd play Gordon and sang along to every song. He'd been a GL fan since he was a teenager.

He was the one that actually bought the tickets to the concert and was excited to be taking me to my first GL concert, but he ended up passing before he could take me.

The night of the concert I remember watching Gordon play and listening to the words and it just made me feel lucky to have had a man like my uncle in my life.

It weird how music can be connected to your life and help you through bad times, but I'm very appreciative of it, and GL's music.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #34
macjames

Gord's Gold on tape ten years ago.
macjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #35
christinefrommichigan

Send a message via AIM to christinefrommichigan

Gord's Gold on tape ten years ago.
christinefrommichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #36
Glenmark

Gord's Gold in 1975 (I still have it), primarily for Sundown and Carefree Highway, then Summertime Dream in 1976 (also still have it) for Race Among the Ruins. In the process discovered two of my all-time favorite GL tunes, Don Quixote and The House You Live In.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #37
Barry Shanley

The UA compilation. I've been into classical music the last 10 years but recently I've been searching for something contemporary. I consider myself a romantic in the mold of Cyrano de Bergerac. A friend reminded me of GL, so I combed amazon and read the reviews and was persuaded to order SD and IYCRMM. I couldn't wait for the mailman (because of the great reviews) so I went to the music store and found UA for $9.89. After listening to UA,SD and IYCRMM, I'm hooked! I gradually ordered (within a week!)all GL's originals on cd, the dvd and Harry Tracy. It's a no-brainer. It's perplexing as to why this guy is not as well known as he should be. Then again, I read Mr. Lightfoot is very modest and humble but great with the "pick" and pen (like Cyrano)which makes him that much more appealing to me. Just by what I've listened to so far above, he's allready my all time favorite...amazing.

[ February 26, 2006, 23:24: Message edited by: marc bedard ]
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #38
marc in maine

The UA compilation. I've been into classical music the last 10 years but recently I've been searching for something contemporary. I consider myself a romantic in the mold of Cyrano de Bergerac. A friend reminded me of GL, so I combed amazon and read the reviews and was persuaded to order SD and IYCRMM. I couldn't wait for the mailman (because of the great reviews) so I went to the music store and found UA for $9.89. After listening to UA,SD and IYCRMM, I'm hooked! I gradually ordered (within a week!)all GL's originals on cd, the dvd and Harry Tracy. It's a no-brainer. It's perplexing as to why this guy is not as well known as he should be. Then again, I read Mr. Lightfoot is very modest and humble but great with the "pick" and pen (like Cyrano)which makes him that much more appealing to me. Just by what I've listened to so far above, he's allready my all time favorite...amazing.

[ February 26, 2006, 23:24: Message edited by: marc bedard ]
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote