banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Mike Dixon

We all appreciate the music scene has been littered with masterpieces over the years, either through perennially favourite bands or individual artists.

Along the way of course, we've also heard songs that have livened the scene considerably, from artists who've never again experienced the success of their first (and in some instances) their last recordings.

The Knack's "My Sharona", Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air, Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" are but three examples of those one hit wonders.

What would YOU nominate to include in this list of forgotten artists and their unforgettable songs ?
Mike Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
LSH

My picks, in no particular order are:

Four Non Blondes - What's Going On?
Tom Cochrane - Life is a Highway
The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
joveski

romeo's tune - steve forbert

LSH, 4 non blondes did have a follow-up single and the proclaimers had I'm on my way as a big hit too, so they wouldnt be one hit wonders
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
<Reminder>

The "Best" wonders that come to mind, and I could listen to right now are :

"Just When I Needed You Most" Randy Vanwarmer
"Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" Danny O'keefe

RMD
Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
LSH

Mende,
It maybe the difference in charts between countries...can't find it on the US pop charts...
Four Non Blondes are also classified as a one hit wonder in the US.
perhaps tom cochrane had a follow up hit in Canada as well, but not in the US.

However, if you like, I can substitute one of them with:
Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing

unless he had a follow up hit in Australia as well?

[ May 07, 2006, 01:20: Message edited by: LSH ]
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

My Entries:

"Brandy" - The Looking Glass

"White Bird" - David LaFlamme - an exceptional
voice and violinist, a duet with
a lady, album same name. 70's

"Windy" - ? (Not Wendy)

"She's a Lady" - "Let her cry... for she's a
lady, let her dream. for she's a child, let the rain fall down upon her... for she's a lady.
er.. can't remember band..
Lead singer sounded like Tom Jones a little drunk. Great song though - Lime Green Album
cover with "Flower" in the name
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
charlene

from the 70's:
Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime
Brewer SHipley - One Toke Over The Line
Billy Swan - I can Help (used to play piano with KK)
Charlene - I've Never Been To Me 1982 (???LOL!!!)

I checked out a few "One Hit Wonder" websites http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/index.cfm and it's funny that many of the songs have been re-made years later and been big hits but the original performers never had great success again....Like Brooks and Dunn doing "My Maria" (1973) but where is B.W.Stephenson???-Sammi Smith did "Help Me Make It Thru The Night" by Kris K. but where is she? (not that anyone cares!)
some of them were great songs...others make me wonder how they ever became hits at all....
and that's the wonder of it!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally posted by geodeticman:
"She's a Lady" - "Let her cry... for she's a lady, let her dream. for she's a child, let the rain fall down upon her...
Steve, I thought I was the only person who remembered this song! It was called Wildflower. I know the lyrics by heart still after all these years. Have absolutely no idea who sang it, though...but I loved it.

Editing to say I found it on line, it was first done by "Skylark". You can hear it here:
http://www.wildflowersong.com/Skylarklong.mp3

Mouse

[ May 07, 2006, 13:11: Message edited by: mnmouse ]
mnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

The Contours' "Do You Love Me" (1961) was redone not many years after it's original release by The Dave Clark Five (1964), but their version got a huge shot in the arm with the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack (1987). Sort of like the boost - not that it needed it - that "Unchained Melody" (1965) got from "Ghost" (1995.)

Loved Mungo Jerry, btw. I always think of graduate school when I hear it. Blues Image' "Ride Captain Ride" drove my dad nuts and I loved the brass in "Vehicle" by Ides of March. Lots of these turn up on classic rock stations but if I hear T Rex - or Power Station - doing "Bang a Gong [Get It On]" one more time....
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Borderstone

"Windy" is by the Association and they had about 10 or 11 hits in the 60s.

The biggest one hit wonder of all is "Macarena" by Los Del Rio from 1996. 14 weeks at #1 all summer! They had a hit with a different version of that song but it's basically the same.

Debby Boone sat at #1 for 10 weeks w/ "You Light Up My Life" in 1977. Nothing else from her!

By the way,Looking Glass had a top 30 hit after Brandy with the song "Jimmy Loves Mary Ann". I know,forgettable. :D
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
joveski

Quote:
Originally posted by LSH:
Mende,
It maybe the difference in charts between countries...can't find it on the US pop charts...
Four Non Blondes are also classified as a one hit wonder in the US.
perhaps tom cochrane had a follow up hit in Canada as well, but not in the US.

However, if you like, I can substitute one of them with:
Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing

unless he had a follow up hit in Australia as well?
never heard it actually...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
<REminder>

Borderstone,

Is "Macarena" actually a favorite of yours ?
If so, you need read no further.

I believe the topic was The "Best" One Hit Wonders, not the biggest. I think of John Stewart when this topic arises.

I've strayed off topic,

As you were.

RMD
Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Janice

I also love some of those mentioned by the rest of you (Brandy, Wildflower, Romeo's Tune - I saw Steve Forbert in concert last night , One Toke Over The Line, I've Never Been To Me, Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues). Here's my addition to the current list:

1. Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum
2. O-o-h Child - The Five Stairsteps
3. One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack) - Coven
4. Fooled Around and Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop
5. Magnet and Steel - Walter Egan
6. Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
7. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield (OK, so we know what happened to this group - the individuals went on to have major success in various other configurations and groups, but it is a shame that these egos couldn't sustain this great configuration of talent to have more than one "hit")
8. Keep On Smilin' - Wet Willie
9. In The Year 2525 - Zager & Evans
10. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
11. The Captain Of Her Heart - Double (I always thought of this song as kind of a sequal to Brandy - check out the lyrics to the two songs and see if you agree)
12. Painted Ladies - Ian Thomas
13. Mr Big Stuff - Jean Knight
14. Signs - Five Man Electrical Band
15. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks (I know it's a bit syrupy, but I still like it)

LOL, my list definitely gives away my age - I was a radio-listening teen in the 70s and 80s.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
joveski

&gt; 15. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks (I know it's a bit syrupy, but I still like it)

me too... i read somewhere that it was voted the worst song of all time.... dunno why
Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by joveski:
&gt; 15. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks (I know it's a bit syrupy, but I still like it)

me too... i read somewhere that it was voted the worst song of all time.... dunno why
I've read that as well and also couldn't figure out why - I guess who ever drew that conclusion didn't consult with us
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #16
Don Quixote

Here's one for you older, tripped-out hippies: "Incense and Peppermints" by the Strawberry Alarm Clock--around 1967 or so, I think. They not only flamed out after that one big hit, but seemed to melt down right at the end of the song (Sha, la, la, sha, la, la).
Nice topic.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #17
Don Quixote

BTW, if "Seasons in the Sun" isn't the worst song ever, it's at least the worst rendition of a song: whiny voice, overwrought vocals...oh, well, I suppose something (anything) by Gilbert O'Sullivan could be worse.
DQ again, (naturally)
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #18
SilverHeels

'Seasons in the Sun' just makes me puke. Sorry, Joveski.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
<Reminder>

Janice,

Your list pretty well exhausted my recollections.
"In The Year 2525" is a good one. I remember when that seemed impossible.

By the way, how was Steve Forbert ? I always check to see if he has any new material out. He's interesting, but a bit inconsistent. But who isn't ?

RMD
Old 05-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Borderstone

Actually,I "do" like "Macarena" & even Debby Boone's song.
As for S. Alarm Clock,their only other hit was called "Tomorrow",barely in the top 40!

Season's In the Sun syrupy? it's downright nauseating and completely depressing! Ick (Check "Small Talk Version Of the Gong Show") for my overall opinion on that one. :D

Janice,I bought Double's (pronounced "doo-belay" by the way)"Captain Of Her Heart" when it came out 20 years ago and I still have it w/pic. sleeve.

They and Bruce Hornsby were such a breath of fresh air in '86 after 5 years or so of synthesizers & new wave or heavy metal music!

It was so great to hear "real" instruments again and have them sound relaxing.

By the way,let's not forget,"Kung Fu Fighting"-Carl Douglas :1974/
"Disco Duck"-Rick Dees & his cast Of Idiots :1976/
"Vehicle" by the Ides Of March (Blood,Sweat & Tears copy-cat act) :1970 and "House Of The Rising Sun" by Frijid Pink in that same year.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;Reminder&gt;:

By the way, how was Steve Forbert ? I always check to see if he has any new material out. He's interesting, but a bit inconsistent. But who isn't ?
Sorry I got carried away, Reminder. I just pulled out my collection of 45s (which I play often) and couldn't narrow the list down any further (oh yes, there were more )

Steve Forbert was great musically. However, if I'm never in the same room with him again, I'll surely NOT lose any sleep over it - he's definitely got an ego on him and pretty much thinks who he is. I just have sooo little patience for dealing with Prima Donas (whether they be male or female) - I guess not every performer can be as gracious and humble as Lightfoot. One of our staff members, who had no clue who Forbert was, commented: "...Is he full of himself, or what? It oozes from every pore..." - needless to say, she wasn't impressed.

That said, the paying audience seemed to LOVE him and either overlooked his ego or were oblivious to it (although, how could one miss the insult that the first thing out of his mouth from the stage wasn't to thank those who came, but to complain about those who didn't?). I have his last studio CD, 2004's "Just Like There's Nothin' To It" - it's been a while since I've listened to it, but recall enjoying it quite a bit. He does have a new live acoustic CD called "It's Been A Long Time" - The live CD was recorded in January 2006, and is available only on his web site and at shows. I didn't get the CD so have not heard it, but there appears to be a nice selection of material on there - including a cover of Anne Murray's "Snowbird".
Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Janice

Hey B-stone, if you don't hold it against me that I like "Seasons In The Sun", I won't hold it against you that you like "Macarena" - Shudder - :D

Yeah, Double was very refreshing and I also liked Bruce Hornsby. Of course, I'm a bit older than you so vinyl was my first format for collecting music, but I still have every record I ever bought or received as a gift (both 45s and LPs).

OK, I'll grant you that as a seventh grader, "Kung Fu Fighting" was 'OK' and I really liked Vehicle, but I could and still can definitely do without "Disco Duck"! As for Frijid Pink's "House Of The Rising Sun" - I'm an Animals fan, so didn't even give this rendition a moment's consideration.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #23
<Reminder>

Janice,

Thanks for the report. I originally posted that I thought he was "interesting". The egomaniac you describe is not what I envisioned. I'm glad to hear he was strong musically, but a jerk is a jerk. I think I recall reading that he grew up as a rather privileged lad. Apparently, he has yet to be humbled.

Thanks for the insights,

RMD
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #24
charlene

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Janice:
Of course, I'm a bit older than you so vinyl was my first format for collecting music, but I still have every record I ever bought or received as a gift (both 45s and LPs).

Janice - I'm a bit older than you and have all my vinyl as well...until my garage sale in a few weeks. just tonight i went thru old albums - i have kept 2 large boxes and 3 boxes are being 'garage sale material' and if not sold then they will be tossed. i can't keep them anymore-I'm editing the 'stuff' of 32 years of my 'adult' life and only the 'best' of all things are being kept....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #25
Janice

Oh Char, how heartbreaking I just couldn't bear the thought of parting with any of my music, books or videos/DVDs - that's why I keep having to move to larger dwellings. I have no problems purging everything else, but those items I just can't. It's kind of sad really, I mean how often do you think I listen to my very first LP - the soundtrack of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (a gift when I was 5 to go along with the 'record player') - not often, I assure you :D but I still couldn't let it go.

I wish I was closer - I bet I'd buy some of your musical discards at the garage sale. I still add to my vinyl collection - there is a lot of great stuff out there that is out of print and never made it to CD.