banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #126
jj

Default Re: Terry and Clemens

Alex, you write in a wonderful style we are enjoying to the fullest.

Gentleman: may be the most concise and fitting epitaph for your dear buddy

There are some beings out there I've never met yet I think of them as friends and Terry was one of those...

I too lived on Bayview near Stouffville Rd where they recently blew up the forest and put up a parkin' lot...well, that sort of thing

Last edited by jj; 03-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #127
brink-

Default Re: Terry

I had never heard of Stephen Leacock until I went to the concert at the Opera House in Orillia. I had time on my hands and love museums....what an interesting life he led, great house. I have searched the internet and read about him and picked up a couple books at the library. VERY hard to find in the US. I don't know if I would count him in the top 10, I enjoyed the reading, but I really enjoyed the museum.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #128
curiousmoonbeam

I've been off the site for a couple of weeks. I'm completely shocked and so very sad at this terrible news. What a fabulous talent has been lost and such a loss for all of us but moreover his family. My heart goes out to them and to the band. I want to thank all of you who took the time to post all the informative links - what a great group. Life is so very precious.
CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #129
alex

Default Re: Terry, McGlincy Guitar,etc.

I have started a "SOCIAL GROUP", entitled "McGLINCY GUITAR"

Please visit it, to see the my McGlincy. It is only one of nine(?) ever created by the master Luthier, the late Ed McGlincy. Owners include: Gord, Terry, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, myself and four others. (If you are one of the four, please DO introduce yourself!)

Enjoy.

P.S.
For others who wish to upload their pictures to the site, I now know how to do it.
It took me a while how to do it...It would seem the "trick" is to adjust the resolution to no higher than 600 x 600 dpi. Use "Infan Viewer" (a free download). Change the resolution of your photo, then, save the photo in a new location. Then, if set to no more than 600 by 600 dots per inch, you will be able to upload. Have fun.
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #130
alex

ANOTHER WAY to see the McGLINCY photos:

Click my name (alex) and then, click the album.

Enjoy! (Do click "View All". I've posted 17 photos, to date.)

...I would not have this beautiful instrument, if it wasn't for Terry...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #131
charlene

Default Re: Terry, McGlincy Guitar,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
I have started a "SOCIAL GROUP", entitled "McGLINCY GUITAR"

Please visit it, to see the my McGlincy. It is only one of nine(?) ever created by the master Luthier, the late Ed McGlincy. Owners include: Gord, Terry, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, myself and four others. (If you are one of the four, please DO introduce yourself!)

Enjoy.

P.S.
For others who wish to upload their pictures to the site, I now know how to do it.
It took me a while how to do it...It would seem the "trick" is to adjust the resolution to no higher than 600 x 600 dpi. Use "Infan Viewer" (a free download). Change the resolution of your photo, then, save the photo in a new location. Then, if set to no more than 600 by 600 dots per inch, you will be able to upload. Have fun.
could you post a link to the site..??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #132
alex

Sure, Charlene,

See if this works:

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/album.php?albumid=23
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #133
charlene

thanks Alex...had no idea you had posted them here at CORFID!
lol
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #134
T.G.

Yes, thanks for those reminiscences, Alex. They are a nice insight into the character of Terry Clements. They sure are consistent with the few minutes I had to meet him along the way.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #135
alex

...an response to a query from the Terry Clement Guitar thread:

Dear JohninCT.,

I am aware of only a partial lineage of Edward McGlincy's Instruments.
If you will imagine a tree, one branch starts at an initial owner. The start of the branch of which I am most aware: Bob Dylan bought one, he showed his to Gordon Lighfoot, he ordered one, who showed his to Terry Clements, who ordered one, who showed his to me. I placed my order a few days later, after I had played Terry's, and after he had given me an introduction to Ed. This is where this particular "branch" ends. The second branch, begins with Johnny Cash. I do not know if this branch continued, in a similar way to the Dylan-Lightfoot-Clements-yours truly, chain. I am given to believe there are four more McGlincys in other hands. I have been trying to determine the dispoition of Johnny Cash's McGlincy. I am pursuing the matter and I may learn of its' status, one day.

As a serious collectors of stringed instruments, I have come to learn an owner is merely a custodian. We, as custodians, do our utmost to protect beautiful instruments and we can only hope they will find their way into worthy hands, upon our eventual demise. (We trust the next custodian will give the instrument, the respect it deserves, commensurate with its quality.)

I have been continually trading, buying and selling guitars, since the late 1960's. My first ax was a Martin D12-35. I learned to play on it. It was a terrible instrument to hear and an ogre, to play, let alone learn chords on. In my young mind, it was a Martin, until I had gained a little wisdom. Three years later, I had saved enough to buy a Gibson 12-string...This soon eveolved into a series of acquisitions (both "B's" and "J's", in various saddle configuartions. I still retain one: most playable, indeed.). I will continue to trade, buy and sell. This McGlincy is included in the practise. One day, I will probably part with it, given it is becoming more difficult for me to play, with the advancing years.

I am always receptive to serious offers.

After all this waxing philisophical: I do not know if any of the original owners have sold theirs.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #136
alex

I have received two very interesting links from Johann Lowenberg.

The first takes you to CBC Radio 3.

Before his passing, Terry produced some great music, featuring Terry, Red and Rick, on Johann's upcoming album. Lightfoot Folks, do CHECK this link out!:

http://radio3.cbc.ca/#/bands/Johann-Lowenberg

You will hear demos, but it probably won't take long to master them for release.
The music is wonderful!!! It is a great treat. Thank you Johann.

The second is about possible lineage links of the McGlincy guitar:

I quote his Johann's correspondence:

"Hi Alex

This article shows that Dylan and Cash were good friends, so it could very well be possible one showed the other his McGlincy, depending on which was built first

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ght-0217-2011/

johann"

My response:

"Johann,

Thank you. It was fascinating article. It certainly made me think about the possible connection between Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

It is possible one showed the other his McGlincy and the other was sufficiently impressed to have one made for himself. The "branch" may go Dylan, Cash, Lightfoot, Clements, myself or, possibly Cash, Dylan, Lightfoot, Clements, me.

Perhaps someone who knows Mr. Dylan could shed some light on the matter and clarify the lineage?..."

I would now add:...or, someone who knew Johnny Cash?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #137
alex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received an update from Johann. The link for the Cash-Dylan Article is not working.

Try this one: http://goo.gl/XfjqC

I've tried it. It works!

Thanks, Johann.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #138
New 12 String Mike

Boy,

I haven't checked in for awhile. This is very sad.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #139
netvoyager

My wife,I, and two friends from our high school days went to a concert in 1972 at the old Auditorium Theater in Chicago. Those of you that know the theater know it was perfect acoustically. Terry was perfection without the theater, imagine what it sounded like with it! Afterwards we all headed to the Earl of Oldtown, a pub near Lincoln Park. We knew that Gord loved to jam there when in Chicago. We were fortunate to get the last table and sat with Terry and Gordon and talked for quite sometime. Both down to earth guys that we will always love dearly. Sitting only 8 feet from them while they jammed was a highlight of our lives. Rest in piece Terry as I last saw you at Fraze Pavilion, Kettering, Ohio, June 17th, 2010. With me was a friend from 35 years ago who also loves Gordon and Terry and all the gang. When I looked over she was crying as the songs they were singing were our favorite songs from 35 years ago. I will never forget that night! Love you guys and so does Sue!
netvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #140
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
...an response to a query from the Terry Clement Guitar thread:

Dear JohninCT.,

I am aware of only a partial lineage of Edward McGlincy's Instruments.
If you will imagine a tree, one branch starts at an initial owner. The start of the branch of which I am most aware: Bob Dylan bought one, he showed his to Gordon Lighfoot, he ordered one, who showed his to Terry Clements, who ordered one, who showed his to me. I placed my order a few days later, after I had played Terry's, and after he had given me an introduction to Ed. This is where this particular "branch" ends. The second branch, begins with Johnny Cash. I do not know if this branch continued, in a similar way to the Dylan-Lightfoot-Clements-yours truly, chain. I am given to believe there are four more McGlincys in other hands. I have been trying to determine the dispoition of Johnny Cash's McGlincy. I am pursuing the matter and I may learn of its' status, one day.

As a serious collectors of stringed instruments, I have come to learn an owner is merely a custodian. We, as custodians, do our utmost to protect beautiful instruments and we can only hope they will find their way into worthy hands, upon our eventual demise. (We trust the next custodian will give the instrument, the respect it deserves, commensurate with its quality.)

I have been continually trading, buying and selling guitars, since the late 1960's. My first ax was a Martin D12-35. I learned to play on it. It was a terrible instrument to hear and an ogre, to play, let alone learn chords on. In my young mind, it was a Martin, until I had gained a little wisdom. Three years later, I had saved enough to buy a Gibson 12-string...This soon eveolved into a series of acquisitions (both "B's" and "J's", in various saddle configuartions. I still retain one: most playable, indeed.). I will continue to trade, buy and sell. This McGlincy is included in the practise. One day, I will probably part with it, given it is becoming more difficult for me to play, with the advancing years.

I am always receptive to serious offers.

After all this waxing philisophical: I do not know if any of the original owners have sold theirs.

Cheers,

Alex
Quite interesting, thanks Alex for the reply.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #141
charlene

11 years gone...