banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
charlene

Default Lightfoot Celebration at Hugh's Room - night two-Jan.23-10 NEW PICS ADDED

The Way We Feel.
A Celebration of Gordon Lightfoot and his music.
8th year.
Hugh’s Room, Toronto http://www.hughsroom.com
Saturday January 23, 2010 (2nd of 3 nights)

Another mild day in Toronto with a bit of drizzle but we’re heading to Hugh’s room for the second of three nights celebrating Gordon Lightfoot so all is right with the world!
We had standing room only reservations (thank you Jory) because we decided only last night to come back for one more show...with a little (it doesn’t take much) persuasion from Jory.

The two steps that lead to the dining and stage area would be a perfect spot to watch the show so I claimed it for my own while Lisa took the step in front of me.

David Newland started the evening off with his ukulele and Early Morning Rain saying that he had figured out what the song was about – a guy who gets dumped on the beach! Lol. Once again I thoroughly enjoyed this quirky ukulele version.

Jason Fowler and Brenley MacEachern (Madison Violet) sang Ribbon of Darkness. Jason then sang Baby Step Back with David Matheson and David Woodhead contributing some major guitar sound.

During this song Gordon and his long time friend and promoter, Bernie Fiedler came in and took their seats. The place was all a-twitter...

Lori Cullen sang Rainy Day People again and then said she chose one that really wasn’t all that good! And then she sang If you Could Read My Mind with a nice pat on the back from Gordon as she left the stage. He was enjoying himself!

The Good Lovelies sang Alberta Bound and Song For A Winter’s Night – although it was almost 50 degrees and raining out..(much like the weather was when it was written!)

Liam Titcomb is the son of Brent Titcomb who used to play at The Riverboat coffee shoppe in Yorkville. He sang Cotton Jenney and Carefree Highway.

Jory Nash sang Summer Side of Life and Mother of A Miner’s Child.

Dan Hill was up next. http://danhill.com He told us that his first date was at a Lightfoot concert at Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto. Lightfoot songs are about 3 minutes long and it would take him almost that long to get the nerve to put his arm around the girl but the song would end and he’d have to pull his arm back! The guitar he bought and was playing was because John Stockfish played bass on his 1972 album back then and took him to a music store outside of Toronto. He paid 450.00 for it –his parents didn’t talk to him for a year. He thought he was pretty hotstuff but Stockfish would say don’t think you’re so hot – listen to this and he’d let him listen to some demos that Gord was working on. He was totally humbled. Before singing Beautiful he said he had heard that Gordon wrote it for his mother and that it makes sense when you listen to the lyrics. He then sang “Can’t Depend On Love.” It was nice to see him and hear him sing live after all these years of hearing him on the radio.

Jory came back onstage and said “last year when Lightfoot played my guitar it went out of tune on him but he gave it a great try but my guitar let him down.” “So it gives me great pleasure to let you know that he’s come back this year with his own guitar!”

Gordon had left his seat a bit earlier and gone to get his guitar and was standing a few feet behind me, beside Lisa, gently strumming his guitar while waiting for his turn to go on.

He strode through the crowd and onto the stage and began singing without any chatter. His first song was I’ll Tag Along, then Restless and then Let It Ride. I was so happy to hear him do I’ll Tag Along since I had missed him doing it for me a couple of years ago in Orlando. It’s so beautiful to hear with just the guitar and voice. He sounded strong and looked great up there during the three songs. When he finished he scooted back through the crowd and headed upstairs. It was a surprise to everyone that he played more than one song – it was much more than we could have imagined! WOW!

INTERMISSION

During intermission I chatted with some of the artists and checked out the CD’s that were for sale. After about 10 minutes Gordon came down the stairs and headed my way with a nice “Hi Char!” and hug. Then he surprised me by saying, “did you like that I played your song for you?” I said I was thrilled to hear it and then he said...”I knew you were coming.”..omigoodness... wow again! Then he leaned over and gave Lisa a big hug too!

It was time for the second half and it was opened with Richard Knechtel. David introduced him and said that Richard would always be able to say that he was the next act after Gordon Lightfoot. Richard did not break any strings while playing The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald but he did have Gordon Lightfoot get up from his table, walk to the stage, take his place behind a microphone and sing a few minutes with him as a duet!! Omigawd it was funny ...and amazing to see Gordon Lightfoot standing there with his hands behind his back, no guitar and trading off lines to one of his greatest hits!!

There’s a small clip at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1185325&ref=ts

Richard then sang River of Light. How he got through both songs is beyond me...but when he started River of Light he broke another string!
Suzie Vinnick sang I’d Do It Again and That’s What You Get For Lovin’ Me.
Old Man Luedecke did Wherefor and Why and Steel Rail Blues.
David Matheson sang Go My Way and Your Loves Return.
Brian MacMillan did his two numbers – Cold On The Shoulder and “Can’t Depend On Love”
Madison Violet sang Poor Little Alison and Sundown
Nathan Rogers sang Bittergreen (instead of Yarmouth Castle) and Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Group Finale – Rich Man’s Spiritual

Lisa and I headed up to the bar area and spent a few moments talking with some of the artists and saying our goodbyes to Jory and David. Jory was beaming and floating on air! What a truly magical evening. So many incredibly talented people paying respect to Gordon Lightfoot and his beautiful music was more than enough entertainment but the bonus of having The Man himself attend and get up and perform for us was more than any of us could have asked for or expected. He had as good a time as any of us in the audience or even the artists onstage. It really was incredible. I got a goodbye hug from Gordon and Bernie and we walked out of the building with them as they headed to their car and we floated along Dundas Street to the subway a couple of blocks away. Sleep would not come for quite a while even though it felt like I was dreaming.

videos- images are not great but sound is good. (more willbe posted asap)

Jory Nash - Summer Side of Life

Jory introducing Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot - Restless

more pics and videos inlcuding a few minutes of the duet "The Wreck" - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...1185325&ref=ts

and David Newlands thoughts over the years:
http://www.davidnewland.com/2010/01/...ot-and-me.html
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #27
jj

Default Re: Lightfoot Celebration at Hugh's Room - night one-Jan.22-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
David Matheson..this year he played piano. It was just recently donated to Hugh's.
priceless! i say, to hell with the fiddler! lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
jj

Default Re: Lightfoot Celebration at Hugh's Room - night two-Jan.23-10

WOW is right! i'm sure i speak for all members when i say how happy i am for you (after all the moderator duties, articles searching, public transit trekking and hotel arranging, etc, etc you pull off to make yourself present [and attempt to SHARE for all] at almost anything Gord related )

and if any are green with envy then that's ok too, as long as it's suitably bitter

i know the spot where you stood (and some other standing room only spots there, lol)...my posture is too cranky of late to stand for 3 hours but i might just have to consider it for 2011...can i bring my own stool?BYOS, lol (and video cam! i should never have asked for permission...just do it, eh )

GRAND work, it's time to quit your day job!

Last edited by jj; 01-27-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
RM

Quote:
I got a goodbye hug from Gordon and Bernie and we walked out of the building with them as they headed to their car and we floated along Dundas Street to the subway a couple of blocks away.
They didn't offer a ride ?

Thanks for the superlative report.

Last edited by RM; 01-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
charlene

no ride...I was floating...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #31
podunklander

All great moments...special memories and thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #32
Jesse Joe

Really happy for you Char you were in ' Lightfoot's Dreamland' if there is such a place.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #33
charlene

Brian MacMillan

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #34
charlene

Dan Hill - Can't Depend on Love

Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #35
charlene

Jory Nash - Mother of a Miner's Child

Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #36
charlene

Gordon Lightfoot - I'll Tag Along
https://youtu.be/wVuoveQpLT8?feature=shared

http://youtu.be/wVuoveQpLT8?feature=shared
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #37
podunklander

Quote:
Dan Hill - Can't Depend on Love
YouTube- DanHill Can'tDependOnLove 1 23 010
...really enjoyed this! I didn't know Dan was still out performing
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #38
podunklander

Quote:
Gordon Lightfoot - I'll Tag Along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuoveQpLT8
Gordon sounds awesome , this is very great
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #39
charlene

Group Finale - jan.22,2010 - Rich man's Spiritual

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #40
Jenn

Wow!! What an amazing evening. Thanks for sharing. Times like this I wish I lived in Toronto
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #41
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Wow!! What an amazing evening. Thanks for sharing. Times like this I wish I lived in Toronto
I have said this many times myself...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #42
charlene

Group Finale - Jan.23,2010

Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
charlene

Gordon Lightfoot-Let It Ride

Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #44
youngstranger

Amazing, I'll Tag Along is beautiful as always. Just as good as his amazing Song For a Winter's night from last year. These sad beautiful songs, done stripped down suit him so well now. He seems really to have lived them
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #45
jj

just bringing back to top so weekend lurkers dont miss the big event recap
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #46
jj

just bringing back to top so weekend lurkers dont miss the big event recap
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #47
charlene

I am SO glad the shows were last weekend...it is bitterly cold in Toronto this weekend.
I hate the cold.
A lot.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #48
RM

Quote:
I am SO glad the shows were last weekend...it is bitterly cold in Toronto this weekend.
I hate the cold.
A lot.
Piping cold, eh ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #49
charlene

fer sure eh?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #50
Jesse Joe

Same here I will take snow anytime than this cold snap. Funny thing tho middle of this past week it felt like early spring... January thaw I guess is what it was.