banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Testforum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
RM

Default Did you know this ?

Cooking tip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Did you know this ?

the next step is to throw out the potato white and eat the skin, right? the most tasty and healthy part

i didn't know this...and neither did Ginger, I'll bet...it's a safe bet

btw, did you know:

69 is the largest number such that the common alphabetical value of its Roman representation is equal to itself (LXIX - 12+24+9+24=69)?

just something that can be dropped into to a next dinner date conversation

just google 'number gossip' for more anal retentive fun (but dry) facts
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
charlene

yep - knew that tip but don't use it..too much trouble. I could peel a couple of dozen taters by the time she boils water..
lol
like JJ says - the most nutritional part is the skin..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
69 is the largest number such that the common alphabetical value of its Roman representation is equal to itself (LXIX - 12+24+9+24=69)?
I did not know that......fascinating.

Corfid : A Place To Learn
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
the most nutritional part is the skin..
the way to make the rest of it also nutritional is to submerse it in butter and salt

i am a slower peeler so this really may help....i seem to buy deformed vegetables so that may explain my speed, but i'm also always paranoid of peeling my fingers...i suppose frozen french fries could be the remedy
Old 03-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
jj

btw)

Educated Earth: Also, a Place to Learn

http://www.educatedearth.net/video.php?id=3869live

(I enjoyed viewing that Big Fish fantasy movie a few years back, but I do not enjoy viewing this Big sucker of a Fish! ...i certainly would not be in the water with it while sporting my loose trunks)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
the next step is to throw out the potato white and eat the skin, right? the most tasty and healthy part

i didn't know this...and neither did Ginger, I'll bet...it's a safe bet

btw, did you know:

just something that can be dropped into to a next dinner date conversation

just google 'number gossip' for more anal retentive fun (but dry) facts
Very cool tater peeling hint! lol@Ginger. So what...are you saying she can't boil water

The peels aren't so healthy any longer . That's where all the pesticides, etc., accumulate. And all fruit and veggies are far less nutritious these days because of the depletion of nutrients in the soil . An apple for example, contains about 1/2 the nutrients now, compared to 40 years ago.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
charlene

much of the pesticide is in the actual fruits and veggies in very hi concentrations and not just the skin.
Organic doesn't necessarily mean 'pesticide' free...

Washing just doesn't do the job because farmers are spraying and laying some of these pesticides and fertilizers on the plants and on the fruits themselves and they can actually be penetrated inside of the cores. And so, a study done by the environmental working group which includes some foods that they use according to the USDA standards, they found that apples on average have 92 percent of pesticides inside of the fruit, if they are conventional. And then, they looked at thick skins fruit such as this orange here. So you would think that since this orange has a nice thick skin on it that the pesticides wouldn't be inside but that's not necessarily true, they can penetrate through the cores and the environmental working group found that about 83 percent of pesticides can reside on the fruit after peeling the orange.

OPRAH Today - subject - food!!! (LOL)

eat food that will rot, don't eat things you can't pronounce (read labels)
eat real food. low fat = hi sugar/hi calories. too much salt and sugar in processed food/convenient food that is cheap and takes little to make/cook. Cheap food = hi health care.. some of the topics.

interesting stuff ..i try, but will try harder!

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-T...Michael-Pollan
Food,Inc :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/

http://www.foodincmovie.com/
movie: Amazon.com: Food, Inc.: Eric Schlosser, Robert...Amazon.com: Food, Inc.: Eric Schlosser, Robert...
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
podunklander

UGH...there's nothing left to eat anymore lol. Cant eat canned food, can't put anything in #1's, 4 and 5 plastics (correct me if I'm wrong Charlene ) in the microwave. Wait! Is it still safe to use a microwave? And I can't eat CARBS anymore. No bread, pasta, rice, cereal. No caffeine (though I did buy a can of cinnamon coffee last week) no alcohol (ok I had 2 alcoholic beverages last week ). This bites!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
charlene

lots to eat!
I haven't eaten a canned food in decades other than canned tomatoes with no additives when i make my tomato sauce.
plastic in microwave-dont' do that-never did actually. i have mostly glass containers.
there are good carbs...7-12 grain breads, whole wheat pasta that is freshly made, brown rice and many cereals that are not full of sugar but are good carbs.
many meats/chicken are farmed with growth hormones/antibiotics. chickens can't stand after a few weeks because they have been re-made for larger white meat breasts and gain too much weight too fast because they are ready for market weeks earlier than used to be the norm.
it's hard to cut out a lot of things but greatly reducing them and increasing 'good' things can be done. moderation is the way to go i think.
many health issues can be related back to poor food and cooking choices. it's hard to change our habits..i struggle constantly but have made changes. lots of greens/veggies/fruits/nuts/no dairy/lean meats/fish...I use a slow cooker a lot of the time and enjoy those meals.
good luck to everyone!
lol
Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
podunklander

yeah -I was using the canned paste for homemade sauce but supposedly...the more acidic canned products are the worst. So I've been kinda stuck having to doctor up organic sauce from jars...to pour over spaghetti squash.

I can't eat ANY carbs

Last edited by podunklander; 03-12-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
podunklander

hmmmm...just found out there are fewer carbs in pasta if it's cooked al dente. Same for other foods...the longer they're cooked. And also that there is more sugar in riped fruit and veggies (and as they ripen).

Was surprised too to find out that converted long grain white rice has a lower glycemic index than brown.

I haven't been doing to well with the recommended combos except the alcoholic beverage I had with a meal (cheeseburger, no bun & veggies) in January (I did fine!). That was the 1st drink I've had in over 2 months by then. Didn't have a drink again until a little over a week ago (didn't finish it) and it was more than 2 hours after dinner ...didn't go over too well.

My cousin gave me several diabetic cookbooks last night and ...I don't think I'd be able to cook many of those meals just for myself. Have been a vegan or semi most of my life and lately, I've been researched going raw vegan .
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Jim Nasium

If I picked an Idaho potato, then tossed it over the state line into Wyoming and it took root and grew, would the tubers still be Idaho potato's?
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
If I picked an Idaho potato, then tossed it over the state line into Wyoming and it took root and grew, would the tubers still be Idaho potato's?
Thought this was a joke...but have yet to see the punchline
Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
podunklander

I wonder why we peel carrots lol. I've been buying organic carrots -since having found out that baby carrots aren't so cute and cuddly. So I bought a bunch of organic carrots today and was about to peel one for my salad ...but before I did, realized there's really no point in doing so (organic or not).
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
charlene

I scrub my carrots with one of those nylon pot scrubbers.
The USDA — even though it certifies organic food — doesn't claim that these products are safer or more nutritious.
THe washing of baby carrots in chlorinated water is safe. We drink and brush our teeth with chlorinated water. Levels of chlorine are regulated.. there will always be those who find it 'unhealthy' tho. if I buy them I wash them again anyway...in my chlorinated tap water..lol
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/babycarrot.html
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
fezo

Ah, good to see the Idaho potato question back.

There was an ad campaign years ago that "The best Idaho potatoes come from Washington," put out by the Washington potato growers. Idaho made a big fuss that by definition Idaho potatoes only came from Idaho. I have no idea how the wrangling over that one worked out.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Peter Bro10

This thread stinks!!!

Starts out pleasant enough, with a new way of "peeling" a potato. But I follow the YouTube links and find one that is a story about MaryAnn getting busted for smoking pot!

Disillusioned from that, I read on and now I'm paranoid to eat vegetables or use a microwave!!!

Just kidding about saying that this thread stinks, though... But apparently MaryAnn does have a thing for the professor! who knew???

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
But I follow the YouTube links and find one that is a story about MaryAnn getting busted for smoking pot!
I don't know for sure.....but maybe that's a prerequisite for peeling potatoes that way.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
podunklander

gee, sorry about that Peterbro!
oh and don't eat any corn or soybean products...but it's probably too late since most have long since been genetically modified:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...interview.aspx

I think the cafeteria at Monsanto should serve only genetically engineered food to their employees.

hmmm wonder if MaryAnn's weed was genetically modified
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Great way to get a potato(e) peeled fast.

Does the word potato(e) have an e @ the end or not ... Dan Quayle

I guess one could Google it !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote