banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #51
jg005@aol.com

Hi Walls

I am still looking for Tom Paxton and Stan Rogers albums here in Jax. FL. with no luck. I will surf the net and will probably find their music. Any hints abouts which albums to pick? and why? Thank you. By the way, does your screen name have anything to do with "Walls", one of GLs early cool tunes? I love that song and am still trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics?
Old 05-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #52
jg005@aol.com

Hi Walls

I am still looking for Tom Paxton and Stan Rogers albums here in Jax. FL. with no luck. I will surf the net and will probably find their music. Any hints abouts which albums to pick? and why? Thank you. By the way, does your screen name have anything to do with "Walls", one of GLs early cool tunes? I love that song and am still trying to figure out the meaning of the lyrics?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #53
Mist O' The Morn'

Hello JG005,

Yes Walls does come from the song, and also the Restless and Shadows.

I will get back with some album suggestions for the artists you're looking for. The albums are somewhat difficult to find.

------------------
restless shadows
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #54
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

Hello JG005,

Yes Walls does come from the song, and also the Restless and Shadows.

I will get back with some album suggestions for the artists you're looking for. The albums are somewhat difficult to find.

------------------
restless shadows
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #55
DMD3

I'm 2 minutes late for lunch.
Is Tom May any good to yaw
Old 05-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #56
DMD3

I'm 2 minutes late for lunch.
Is Tom May any good to yaw
Old 05-20-2003, 04:27 AM   #57
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

jg005, reference Stan Rogers CDs, try www.elderly.com they have several Stan Rogers CDs. I can recommend "Between The Breaks" a live CD, very good.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:27 AM   #58
Edna Clouds

jg005, reference Stan Rogers CDs, try www.elderly.com they have several Stan Rogers CDs. I can recommend "Between The Breaks" a live CD, very good.
Edna Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #59
jg005@aol.com

Hi Titan

I love John Denver, God bless him. I should say the country boy should get more credit than being one of the best US musicians.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #60
jg005@aol.com

Hi Titan

I love John Denver, God bless him. I should say the country boy should get more credit than being one of the best US musicians.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:52 PM   #61
jg005@aol.com

Hi Talbot10

Is Dave Mallot country? I ask because Allison Krause sings his compositions. Allison is great country artist.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:52 PM   #62
jg005@aol.com

Hi Talbot10

Is Dave Mallot country? I ask because Allison Krause sings his compositions. Allison is great country artist.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:01 PM   #63
jg005@aol.com

Hi DMD3

Never heard of Tom May. Is this a folk musician?

Old 05-20-2003, 08:01 PM   #64
jg005@aol.com

Hi DMD3

Never heard of Tom May. Is this a folk musician?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 AM   #65
derbal

I had a Steeleye Span record from decades ago. I also thought Maddy Prior had a great folk voice. Is Maddy still performing?

quote:Originally posted by 2Much2Lose:
For me, the best measure has to be how I "voted" with my dollars in buying albums. I've listed 8 (in order) so that the purists can throw out anyone they deem insufficiently "folk."

1 Gord
2 Maddy Prior (in Steeleye Span,
Silly Sisters and solo)
3 (tie) Cat Stevens
3 (tie) Paul Simon
(including Simon & Garfunkel)
5 (tie) Joni Mitchell
5 (tie) Pete Seeger
7 Mike Cross
8 Christine Lavin

All the above are singer-songwriters except Maddy Prior (who has written some but is primarily a singer).

Upcoming favorites, who may eventually make their way into the top 5, include Indigo Girls (probably more rock than folk) and the delightful Christine Lavin.

I have not included Raffi in this list, because I purchased his records and tapes for my children to listen to (OK, I listen too, but that's not why I bought them). His Christmas album is still one of my favorites. What a happy sounding man !

LOL

derbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 AM   #66
Some Mill In Wisconsin

I had a Steeleye Span record from decades ago. I also thought Maddy Prior had a great folk voice. Is Maddy still performing?

quote:Originally posted by 2Much2Lose:
For me, the best measure has to be how I "voted" with my dollars in buying albums. I've listed 8 (in order) so that the purists can throw out anyone they deem insufficiently "folk."

1 Gord
2 Maddy Prior (in Steeleye Span,
Silly Sisters and solo)
3 (tie) Cat Stevens
3 (tie) Paul Simon
(including Simon & Garfunkel)
5 (tie) Joni Mitchell
5 (tie) Pete Seeger
7 Mike Cross
8 Christine Lavin

All the above are singer-songwriters except Maddy Prior (who has written some but is primarily a singer).

Upcoming favorites, who may eventually make their way into the top 5, include Indigo Girls (probably more rock than folk) and the delightful Christine Lavin.

I have not included Raffi in this list, because I purchased his records and tapes for my children to listen to (OK, I listen too, but that's not why I bought them). His Christmas album is still one of my favorites. What a happy sounding man !

LOL

Some Mill In Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:50 AM   #67
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Hey,JG005@AOL.COM, at great risk of being accused of verbosity, try www.elderly.com you will find plenty of references to both Tom Paxton and Stan Rogers, trust me on this. No I do not work for Elderly. I am just a fan across the pond
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:50 AM   #68
Edna Clouds

Hey,JG005@AOL.COM, at great risk of being accused of verbosity, try www.elderly.com you will find plenty of references to both Tom Paxton and Stan Rogers, trust me on this. No I do not work for Elderly. I am just a fan across the pond
Edna Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:25 PM   #69
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by jg005@aol.com:
Hi Talbot10

Hi JG,
Dave Mallett is a folk singer/songwriter from Central Maine. He's the one who wrote The Garden Song, recorded by several artists, and played many times on Sesame Street during a scene where the Muppets are out working in their garden. That's probably his most well known song. He's had several songs recorded by many artists, including Peter, Paul and Mary, and John Denver.
This past November, we had a Mallett house concert at Val McGee's house and discovered that many Lightfoot fans are also into Dave's music. If you'd like to read more about him, check out his website at http://www.davidmallett.com

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #70
jg005@aol.com

Hi Someone in Wisconsin

Who is Raffi? You are not talking about Ravi Shankar are you? By the way Ravi played the sitar, which is as close as you can get to 12 string.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #71
jg005@aol.com

Hi Someone in Wisconsin

Who is Raffi? You are not talking about Ravi Shankar are you? By the way Ravi played the sitar, which is as close as you can get to 12 string.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #72
fowlesjohn

Hi J.com
Raffi is a childrens' nusic musician. His music is fun and very inforamtive for young children (environmental issues, etc., in child friendly format). I think he's unique. So, Ravi Shnakar is not Raffi, not a little bit alike at all.
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #73
gwen snyder

Hi J.com
Raffi is a childrens' nusic musician. His music is fun and very inforamtive for young children (environmental issues, etc., in child friendly format). I think he's unique. So, Ravi Shnakar is not Raffi, not a little bit alike at all.
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:08 AM   #74
theotterjudystill

Damn!!!! I read these posts, and I see all the artists names and the comments, and it really brings back memories and feelings.

Gordon Lightfoot is, without question, one of the most talented songwriters that I have ever heard. I totally love his music. My favorite song in all my LIFE is "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND". Don't ask why. It hurts too much.

But if I had to name a group that got me into folk music,,, it would have to be "PETER, PAUL, & MARY".

Of course, they sang many of Gordon Lightfoot's songs.

And then there is Bob Dylan. Crazy, f*&ked up mf, but GOD COULD HE SING!!!

Do you want to break my heart and see me cry? Play Judy Collins; "SEND IN THE CLOWNS".

I was blessed enough to actually see Harry Chapin in concert one night. "TAXI" I cried right there. But my favorite by him is "A BETTER PLACE TO BE".

GOD!!! How can anyone say a favorite? They are all so VERY SPECIAL for what they each did in their own way.

Peace.

Steve

------------------
As long as I'm a ghost; that you can't see.
theotterjudystill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:08 AM   #75
wsm2506

Damn!!!! I read these posts, and I see all the artists names and the comments, and it really brings back memories and feelings.

Gordon Lightfoot is, without question, one of the most talented songwriters that I have ever heard. I totally love his music. My favorite song in all my LIFE is "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND". Don't ask why. It hurts too much.

But if I had to name a group that got me into folk music,,, it would have to be "PETER, PAUL, & MARY".

Of course, they sang many of Gordon Lightfoot's songs.

And then there is Bob Dylan. Crazy, f*&ked up mf, but GOD COULD HE SING!!!

Do you want to break my heart and see me cry? Play Judy Collins; "SEND IN THE CLOWNS".

I was blessed enough to actually see Harry Chapin in concert one night. "TAXI" I cried right there. But my favorite by him is "A BETTER PLACE TO BE".

GOD!!! How can anyone say a favorite? They are all so VERY SPECIAL for what they each did in their own way.

Peace.

Steve

------------------
As long as I'm a ghost; that you can't see.
wsm2506 is offline   Reply With Quote