banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
ambrose woodfellow

Default Traveling With Gordon Lightfoot On Tape

We couldn't take vinyl on road trips. 8-Tracks became vogue and since then, to this day, there isn't a highway we've traveled that hasn't included the music of Gordon Lightfoot. Never.

The Mrs. & I would pack up gear every weekend we had the opportunity to drive somewhere. Anywhere. Just to be on the move. When the kids came along they were indoctrinated to Lightfoot music. Our son hated us for playing the same Lightfoot tapes over and over in the car. Too bad. He got over it. To this day, the Sundown cassette is in the player. 360 thousand miles on the current car. And Sundown plays everyday. Three different cars in the last 20 years. Over a million miles driven on them. Lightfoot is always there. Carefree Highway.

The son, having gotten over his "metal years", is now all about some acoustic tunes and find's Lightfoot a refreshing twist in his life. I never doubted it. Daughter's a parrot-head. That's OK too.

It's the grand kids turn now. Five of them. And I don't hesitate to plug in some Lightfoot every time they are in the car. They'll find their own music. I guarantee they *will* know Gordon Lightfoot music. And as a side, the grand kids favorite movie is Yellow Submarine. That wasn't on purpose. I happened upon a VHS copy a few years back. We keep the g-kids almost every weekend. They take turns picking out the Saturday night movie. One night it was an argument so I plugged in Yellow Submarine. Now I have all the Beatles movies for them. And they love it!

Anyway, I don't travel without some Lightfoot. Can't. Really. No need to be without some Lightfoot. Some Lightfoot never hurt no one.

Chap
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Traveling With Gordon Lightfoot On Tape

Gordon is in my car every single day. has been since 1979. Back then I didn't have a tape player, so I carried a battery operated tape player in my car. One just should not travel without Lightfoot coming out the speakers. "Beautiful" is on every mix I do for the car. My kids ask if I ever get tired of it....that would be no. They grew up on him, so they are used to traveling with Gord. Glad to know others don't take road trips without him.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
niffer

My car has a 6-CD changer, and at least one of the slots is always devoted to Gordon. Currently I am listening to a mix CD that my son Matt made for me, which is a compilation of 20 Lightfoot tunes that I picked in order to introduce one of Matt's friends to Gordon's music. It was quite a challenge choosing which songs would represent the vastness of the catalogue while at the same time appealing to a 23-year-old metalhead.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
KHester

I have been with Gord since the vinyl days, when the first thing I would do when I when I got a new album would be to record on my Philco, (Now theres an old name brand) stereo cassette. Because every once in a while those darn cassette players would get hungry. That way I could always record the album again. I been through albums , cassettes, cd's and now I have his complete collection in mp3 form that I have on a SD card that fits into my car radio... Ah.... Progress

Kevin

Last edited by KHester; 04-03-2012 at 09:57 PM.
KHester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
DellroyGM

Ah, yes, I also used to record from vinyl to stereo cassette. Then I'd play my Gord collection in the Ampex (another old name) cassette deck that was bolted to the transmission hump of my International Scout pick-up. It was ex-US Post office, meaning it was RIGHT-hand drive.
Now I have a tiny little 4gb Sansa player plugged into the Aux jack of my Chevy HHR. Works great!
"Some Lightfoot never hurt no one."
Hey, Ambrose, can I borrow that line? I love it!

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote