banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
brink

One of my very FAVORITE bands are being honored at the Grammy's - Led Zepplin - . I am so happy - also Janis Joplin, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hoagy Carmichael, Dr. Billy Taylor, Jelly Roll Morton, Eddy Arnold, Don Cornelius, Alfred Lion, Staple Singers, Art Blakey & Morton Gould.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
SilverHeels

Hey, Debs - what did you think of the Rolf Harris cover of the Led Z's 'Stairway to Heaven'?
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
joveski

i'm also happy about led zeppelin. i wish they do turn up to accept the award - the three of them.

also i hope Wilco picks up an award for "a ghost is born"
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Borderstone

No question about it from me,they totally deserve it!

"They Gotta Whole Lotta Love!"

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
brink

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
Hey, Debs - what did you think of the Rolf Harris cover of the Led Z's 'Stairway to Heaven'?

I haven't heard that one Bru, I will have to search the internet and see if I can find a sample. Is it good?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I haven't heard that one Bru, I will have to search the internet and see if I can find a sample. Is it good?

er ... hmmm ... well, let's say it's different. Right, Sir John? But it went down a storm at the Glastonbury Festival the year it was released.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Borderstone

I recall there were these two lame-o groups in the 80's that tried to do Zepplin covers!

One group I can't recall the name of did Black Dog. It was at most a "fair" version but they added horns! Trombones I believe!

The other was a group called Far Corporation and they tried (as one magazine reviewer said)to "boogie-fy" the classic "Stairway To Heaven". I actually bought that song (long gone now)and boy,was it the worst thing I ever heard in my life!

Sythesizers,electric drums,multiple echo & bad singer! I effectivly took it out later and "frisbee'd" it against a brick wall!

As far as the upcoming Grammy's,no doubt here,Usher is going to clean up! 4 #1's in 2004 from a CD that is nothing short of incredible. He's also now the #1 act of this young century! Sales,fans/concerts,the charts and just his overall talent. He's a shoo-in! Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
catmanron

That's it Bru, you know if you mention Rolf, I will appear !!!!.

Recently on one of our popular TV shows they had a competition for the best version of "Stairway to Heaven", and Rolf if not the winner was certainly one of the top versions.

On a recent trip to Perth in Western Australia, I was able to find Rolf's Star, in their Avenue of Famous Western Australians. ( name another.. lol )

Keep Smiling.. Ron. ( hope you can find Rolf's Stairway, Deb )
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
Sheryl Klein

quote:Originally posted by catmanron:
On a recent trip to Perth in Western Australia, I was able to find Rolf's Star, in their Avenue of Famous Western Australians. ( name another.. lol )
)[/B]

Does Mel Gibson count? Even though he was born here, he was raised there... o.k., Olivia Newton-John, umm, how about Errol Flynn? uhh, he was born in New Zealand, wasn't he? Well, if I think of more, I'll let you know!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by catmanron:
That's it Bru, you know if you mention Rolf, I will appear !!!!.

Ron,
are you getting any of Rolf's Art series down there?
btw - are you safe from the recent bushfires raging?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
catmanron

Nice try Sheryl, but Mal like Russell Crowe have only lived here, but we don't claim them as one of us.

Olivia, like the Bee Gee's was born in England, but we do Claim them, because they made their musical breakthroughs while they were living here. Errol was an Australian he was born in Tasmania ( the small island off the bottom right hand corner ).

Keep Smiling.. Ron.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #12
catmanron

Bru, we haven't seen any of Rolf's art work yet, although I have read that it is coming. ( if any of it took more than 10 minutes to paint, it won't be much good..lol ).

Fortunately we haven't suffered from any bushfires in this area yet, although we did have a very wet spring, which means there was lots of early summer growth, which makes ideal bush fire fuel, so we are all on high alert.

The major bush / grass fire which occured on Tuesday ( and unfortunately resulted in nine deaths and three people missing, bush fires produce great heat which can result in bodies being completely burnt ). Was on the Eyre Peninsula in central South Australia, around the City of Port Lincoln.

Interestingly Port Lincoln is the area of Australia with the highest number of Millionaires. All of their wealth comes from the Tuna Fishing Industry. They even farm Tuna, by catching schools of small fish way out to sea then bring them in close to shore in large nets, where they fatten the fish and sell them to Japan.

The owner of the Horse which has won the last two Melbourne Cups ( Australia's richest horse race), lives in Port Lincoln, and named the horse after five girls who work in his fish processing business.

Port Lincoln is on Boston Bay which was named by Whalers from Boston who fished in along the southern coast of Australia in great numbers in the early 1800's. Fortunately the Whales are now returning which is great. And no one is coming from Boston to kill them.

Have a great day everyone ( sorry for the Geography Lesson )

Keep Smiling.. Ron.

[This message has been edited by catmanron (edited January 12, 2005).]
Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 AM   #13
Sheryl Klein

That's o.k., Ron, thanks! I was thinking Tasmania for Errol, but, second-guessed myself. I never knew Olivia was born in England... And I think I'm the only person on the planet who loved the movie, "Xanadu." I bought the album, too!! You know, I think I have it on VHS tape somewhere... Hope to see you in the chatroom this Friday night, Ron!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
SilverHeels

[QUOTE]Originally posted by catmanron:
[B]Bru, we haven't seen any of Rolf's art work yet, although I have read that it is coming. ( if any of it took more than 10 minutes to paint, it won't be much good..lol ).

Trust me, Ron, his art is fantastic and takes a whole lot longer that 10 mins. (That was when he was painting murals for tv series.) This is serious Art. He has had several Exhibitions in London over the past years. The man is seriously talented. I may will email you over one or two.
Glad you are safe from the fires.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #15
catmanron

No doubt about his talent Bru. ( maybe Sir John can post some of the paintings here !! ).

Sheryl, hopefully I'll be in the chat room with Sir John this week, see you then, and everyone else I hope.

Keep Smiling All
Ron.