banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
charlene

Default Duluth blog review

http://muse-zach.blogspot.com/2011/0...in-duluth.html
Last night I saw singer songwriter Gordon Lightfoot perform at the DECC's Symphony Auditorium. It was a really great show, as the again minstrel opened up is amazing song book in a sophisticated atmosphere (soft colors and intriguing patterns projected around the band on curved slices of white drappings) with a truly fantastic backing band. Gordon is now 72 and walking center stage at 8 o'clock sharp, he certainly looked it. His voice has certainly fallen with age, hardly matching the rustic muster of those defining 60s and 70s recordings, but I would hardly describe it as lost; he's certainly still worth admission and the old timber still rises to the top of his voice from time to time.

The show was fare from a sellout, I didn't see how packed the balcony was but the main floor was about 2/3 full, but those in attendance certainly make up for those absent with roaring applause and cat calls following each and every song. Gordon seemed to enjoy the warm admiration quipping twice, "We love the work." The Twin Ports crowd gave the loudest applause following intermission (after 45 minutes Gordon took a 20 minute break and than played an additional 50 minutes) when Gordon launched into the immensely loved "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." The song has become something of a Northland anthem since being released in 1976, depicting a sea wreck on Lake Superior. Outside of the lyrical content, the song's atmosphere feels amazingly Duluth-y (if such a description is valid) and the crowd roared at the song's conclusion. Gordon knew where he was playing this night.

Overall it was a great show, seeing Canada's most famous songwriter was in kin to catching an ancient minstrel near the end of his long road; I never tire of seeing these old legends in the flesh. I was a little disappointed with the setlist omission of "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" but Gordon made up for it with his performance of "Sundown", my favorite Lightfoot track. At the end of "Ribbon of Darkness" Gordon and the band stop playing stare at the crowd for a minute and than launch into the amazing opening riff of "Sundown"; awesome.

Bonus:
Before playing "Song for a Winter's Night", Gordon was storying how he wrote the song in Cleveland during a summer rainstorm musing, "Songwriting is a strange animal." To which someone in the crowd responded, "You do a great job!," as the rest of the crowd again erupted into applause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled[1].jpg
Views:	415
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	4492  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
patybear

Default Re: Duluth blog review

Real nice photo!Thanks,Charlene.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Patti

I don't A suppose you would want to see another photo...anyway, I went to this concert with my oldest son. Before the concert started, I remembered that I had a fresh, strong contact lense that I had been carrying around in my purse for months. I usually wear a weaker one in one eye for reading, but I ran off to the can to get that situated right, since I wasn't doing so well from where I was. There was this little girl standing there by the mirror watching me put in my contact. Cute. I made it back to my seat before the concert started. It was good of course. It was my son's first Lightfoot concert, and it was nice to see that he really liked it. After the concert, we waited around with some other people to see him, and finally he comes walking out, and walks right straight up to ... that little girl. ok, fine... Later on, there he is standing right in front of me shaking my hand. Nice of him. Later, my son took a picture of Gordon and me. He looks real good, but I look like I'm claiming ownership. Then Levi hands me the camera for me to take a picture of him and Gordon also, and duh, The camera looks like a square blur. For one thing, I never used his camera before, and another thing, both my contacts are so strong that I can't see anything close up. Before I get a chance to take a picture, Gordon looks at me weirdly and walks away. Wonderful.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Before I get a chance to take a picture, Gordon looks at me weirdly and walks away. Wonderful.
been there - done that! seen him to do that many times...
lol

Let's see the pics!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Patti

LOL yourself

Last edited by Patti; 10-30-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Patti

Here's him and me in front of the stage after the concert having a good time.
9/18/2011 Duluth, MN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11jwtqv.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	4788