banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Brannah

Default PG concert

Just got home from Gordon's Prince George concert. It was fantastic!!, but unfortunately it was over way to quickly.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Moose

Default Re: PG concert

Super pictures! They are much better than the photographer who did this article. For some reason I can't attach that picture.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/entertainment/134454333.html

By Bill Phillips - Prince George Free Press
Published: November 24, 2011 6:00 AM
Updated: November 24, 2011 1:51 PM

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down to the big hall they call CN Centre.
Yes, the legend that made the cargo ship Edmund Fitzgerald a legend did make his way down to CN Centre Wednesday night. Canadian music legend Gordon Lightfoot thrilled almost all of the 1,600 fans gathered for the two-hour show. One man in the back, who yelled out for Alberta Bound after every song, quite likely left disappointed as Lightfoot didn’t play that iconic homage to our easterly neighbour.
About halfway through the second set Lightfoot said it was too late for Alberta Bound quipping: “I only play it when I’m headed west … why would you want to be Alberta bound when you’re in beautiful B.C.?”

After playing a few new songs, Lightfoot didn’t disappoint, delivering many of his hits … from the moving Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald to If You Could Read my Mind to Rainy Day People to Ribbon of Darkness to Carefree Highway and, of course, to Sundown.

His only glitch was when he messed up a line on Beautiful and hummed his way through. However, not wanting to leave the crowd hanging, he finished the song, chatted with his band for a moment, and then replayed the offending stanza, complete with the lyrics done perfectly.

Perfectly now is a little different than what Lightfoot’s legion of fans remember from the early days in the 1960s and 70s.

Having just turned 73 years old, his voice isn’t quite what it used to be. However that’s the reality of a life behind the microphone and the very-appreciative crowd didn’t mind, giving rousing ovations after every song. And, the familiar golden tones did resonate on the low end of the scale.

And it’s been a rather incredible life. The Kamloops This Week editor called him the “lyrical Lazarus of Canadiana, coming back from the dead in February 2010 to tour again (or so the major media told us as they jumped on a hoax Twitter post lamenting the great man’s demise).”

He was hit with an abdominal aneurysm in 2001 and lapsed into a six-week coma. He suffered a stroke onstage in 2006 and was performing again in nine days. Even through some major setbacks, Lightfoot isn’t slowing down, telling the crowd they’re booked through the end of 2012 … doing about 80 shows a year.

“They” include his incredibly tight band of Carter Lancaster on lead guitar (replacing longtime Lightfoot mate Terry Clements, who died in February), Mike Heffernan on keyboards, Barry Keane on drums and Rick Haynes on bass.

The spotlight, though, was on Lightfoot, whose tunes are as much Canadiana as the maple leaf and the Ringneck Loon, which is one of the songs he sang.

The crowd enjoyed the night, whooping and hollering several times. Lightfoot, after decades on stage, seemed unfazed by it all.

When one woman yelled out, “we love you, Gordon,” he responded with, “we love the work.”

And, when a large bra was tossed on the stage, Lightfoot picked it up, tossed to the back of the stage and joked: “I’ll take that home to the wife and kids.”
It was truly a special evening.
The legend that is Gordon Lightfoot does indeed live on.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[QUOTE=Moose;177036]Super pictures! They are much better than the photographer who did this article. For some reason I can't attach that picture.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/entertainment/134454333.html

yes Moose very odd I thought that the photo ccompanying that article was not at all bad but I found that whilst could copy the picture's URL OK and paste it into a browser's address bar it apppeared in Internet Exploder just fine but it flatly refused to appear within the text of my reply using the corfid insert image system yet I was as you can readily see able to upload it as an attachment see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84743princegeorgeWEBLightfoot.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	4681  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-25-2011 at 12:38 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Brannah

It was hard to get a good picture there. I found the lighting to be "different". I took quite a few pics, but only a few turned out ok. I had to use a few different settings on my camera, some worked and some did not. I never used the flash on any of them.
I wouldn't say Gord played "new" songs, but they may be new songs to the author of the article if he's not familiar with Gord's old (but newer albums). He also didn't mention the standing O near the end of the concert, and the several young people that came up in front of the stage and danced to Blackberry Wine, which was the closing song.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
T.G.

Yes, great pics, thanks for posting.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote