banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default Came across this great song!!

I heard this song on the radio, managed to memorize a few lyrics to look it up and find the name of it and then looked it up on Youtube. Many of you may have already heard this song but I figured I'd share it anyway. Enjoy!

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Came across this great song!!

OK Douglas we can fortuneately all have different tastes and be happy to come here where our taste in one regard is identical
As invited I took the time to watch your discovery but as I anticipated I was unimpressed . other than confirming my prejudical view that the British punk rock movement comprised mostly toneless and rude jerks.
I did spot something in the video that I found interesting though when in the background I spotted a Golden Fried Chicken takeaway
I remembered that when Colonel Sanders came to the UK a Kentucky Fried Chicken establishment opened 5 miles from my home in the neighbouring town of Yeovil
I guess it operated as such for a couple of years then one day it changed its name to Favorite Fried Chicken (yes without a "U" of course obviously as sop to the Americans and/or make it appear American).

Google streetview of the Yeovil place
see:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favorite_Chicken
"The chain was founded in 1986 to compete with the American franchised based outlets operating in the UK. The concept was to open a chain of professionally run fried chicken restaurants offering at least equal quality of food and service as the brand leader, but at a fraction of the set up cost"
At the time I heard the story that the franchisees in London had had a blazing row with the American parent organisation about an increase in the annual franchising fees or royalties or something so in protest they formed a breakaway new UK based franchise
Presumably they had a tame chemist who "reverse engineered" the particular flavour mix formula that the Colonel had concocted and patented
Anyway when I saw in Touhy's video what I took to be a "Golden Fried Chicken" place I thought maybe it was yet another offshoot like Favorite Fried Chicken but no there is a separate Dallas Texas based franchise operation originally of that name but since 1996 less the "chicken" :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Chick
I had noted in the video that the cars were being driven on the correct (left) side of the road so I surmised that it had been shot in London but where I wondered, so I did a Google image search to try to find out and soon I hit paydirt on a "pilgramage" website
http://www.musicpilgrimages.com/vide..._symphony.html

Here is a screenshot from a video slideshow on that

the blurb on that page sheds some amusing light on the video
"The Verve - Hoxton Street

Hoxton is an area in the London Borough of Hackney, immediately north of the financial district of the City of London. The area of Hoxton is bordered by Old Street to the south, City Road to the west, Regents Canal on the north side and Kingsland Road on the east.

The area was used in 1997 for the filming of the video for the track Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve, the video features Richard Ashcroft walking along Hoxton Street bumping into people seemingly oblivious to their presence.
The starting point of the video is 94 Hoxton Street, the Golden Fried Chicken restaurant at the corner of the intersection between Hoxton Street and Falkirk Street. Richard Ashcroft walks along Hoxton Street with few continuity errors. This video was shot during the course of two days due to a man, not knowing it was a video, attacking Ashcroft after he bumped into him on the first day, extras were therefore used during the second day of filming. The end of the video leads into the beginning of the video for "The Drugs Don't Work". The video has often been thought to have been inspired by the video for "Unfinished Sympathy" by Massive Attack.

The area looks much the same in the present-day, Hoxton street market being a lively market on Saturdays."
Here is how the Google camera car saw it a while ago

Don't get me wrong Touhy I think it is wonderful that there is so much in the way of sometimes obscure music on youtube.
I am now going to hijack this thread for my own edification sorry 'bout that
earlier this week I suddenly, when thinking about Manhatten NYC thought of a fine 1959 hit called Manhatten Spiritual and could only remember that it was by Reg somebody but after several runs through the alphabet I was none the wiser so went to youtube and found that Reg
Owen was in fact a UK bandleader and one hit wonder
What made that visit even sweeter was that youtube heplfully listed in the suggestions column on the right another fine instrumental from the same period
This time by the German band leader Bert Kaempfert
Having got started of course I just had to watch Bert's other two major recordings
and
Al three represent really joyous and happy music that is far removed from the inanity and pointlessness of punk IMHO

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-04-2011 at 12:10 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

of course as soon as I reread my posting and got to where I said "Breakaway"
I thought of a superb 1976 UK hit that Americans may not have heard of
(not to be confused with another more recent song of the same name by American Idle Kelly Clarkson)

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
formerlylavender

I like this song too, SUADIL. Just saw the video for the first time a few weeks back when my British cousin, Tony, was visiting and commented that he thought my 17 year old son looked so much like the Verve singer. Quite the coincidence that you just posted this!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
I like this song too, SUADIL. Just saw the video for the first time a few weeks back when my British cousin, Tony, was visiting and commented that he thought my 17 year old son looked so much like the Verve singer. Quite the coincidence that you just posted this!

Thanks Lavender. :D

And Johnfowles, I actually don't watch the video much, I just listen to it. I like to have 2 internet sessions open so I can listen to music via youtube and surt the net at the same time.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

John, I remember hearing that song on the radio, I think in the mid or late '70. Nice to hear it again.

Cathy