banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #1301
Auburn Annie

Welcome, Lightland; you are definitely among friends here.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #1302
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Welcome Lightland !

I too, love "Seven Island Suite" for its amazing imagery, smell of autumn leaves, still-water bay canoeing (I picture) and walking on the Islands on a day outing with leaves crunching underfoot, and a mauve sunset harkening time to paddle home. That's my "VIEWING" of that songs' musical painting in my mind. It is so many forum members' favourite song, too, followed closely this LP by "The Watchman's Gone".

Good folks in here. I, like u in some ways, was and am completely absorbed by Lightfoot musically since my First album IYCRMM in 1973, followed VERY quickly by Sundown when it came out.

Perhaps it is the fact that I borrowed a friend's older brother's copy of IYCRMM who was in college at the the time, and I, 14 at the time, sophomorically thought "wow ! College music !" .

I was heretofor used to Deep Purple,
Eagles (Still am), Black Sabbath (bllecchhhh), and Iron Butterfly and the like. Lightfoot seemed like an epiphone. Suddenly, girls were "women to rescue" and "fragrances all in my keeping" : ) .

I had very little time to explore the rich tapestries on that borrowed album but love it very much. The first purchased album was Sundown. It was mine ! As such, I listened to his mesmerizing music, lyrics, phraseology, orchestration, etc. through good quality headphones (Old Koss 3 pounders; total sound blockers that were incredible quality ).

You know how you ALWAYS hear more in good headphones ? Perhaps for this reason (I could not afford another LP because I had to split the cost of my track spikes and CC Adidas Country's both for school with my folks) I had the unique oppurtunity to listen after practice in my bedroom to Sundown on the 'phones over and over and mused to myself, truly, "this is incredible music" and " I have NEVER heard anything like this before".

Particularly, as most frequenters of this forum we call corfid know , I rave on and on given a tangential subject to transion to talk of the incredible orchestration and string arrangements on Sundown, and indeed all of his albums in the 70's in this vane.

Other decades for other reasons wonderful. The late great Nick DeCaro had much to do with this, a genius in his own right, but, as you probably know being a FANatic ! - Gordon had considerable input into his own arrangements, and always made a point of respecting the working musician by hiring local union musicians for strings and such.

He, in his own words (paraphrased), has said that his musical education at the now defunct Westlake College of Music in ?L.A. where he studied as I recall music theory, composition, and arrangements, first on the piano, said that this was an invaluable experience he heartily reccomended for young hopefuls.

I think that particular comment came from a guitar player magazine in the late 70's ( I remember seeing him on the cover at the door mag stand at the "Record" store on Pearl Street Mall in downtown Boulder Colorado. In the 70's, that outdoor walking "mall" was a Woodstock part 1.2 of sorts; a real bohemian haven in an already richly diverse college town. Anyway, I digress....

I guess the headphones with Sundown so long my only album...well... 6 months or so... made me keenly aware of every subtle nuance in that album and I would be hard put to pick one of the *easily* 7 top-ten worthy songs on it as a favourite; but easily a favourite album.

Then, came Don Quixote, and at 14 I, having just read an Arthurian novel, fancied myself the man of La Mancha jousting at windmills, serving a King, winning Lady Guinevere, etc. To save the sanity of readers, I will wax on my ex-cogitations of THAT incredible album another day.

But, Lightland, it sounds like you've been bit bad by the GL bug for years like probably most of us in here (I am only a one monther in here ! ) and could wax enthusiastically longer than me ! Please do !

Also, plese know I do not purport anything I say about GL as "fact"; only my understanding or belief. Much simpler to say this once than preface every statement IMHO ! So much to say about GL, and everyone knows so MUCH in this room. Don't underestimate their keen knowledge and rapier wit ! j/k Its a good bunch in here truly.

Again, welcome Lightland !

"Be known as a man who will be candid on questions that do not relate"

- Steve aka geo-man in this room.
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #1303
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightland:
I eat, I drink , I dream, I worship , "Gordon Lightfoot". I dare anyone out there, to try to stomp me on information , regarding our beloved musical ,poet genius. In 1969, when I bought my first GL album " Did She Mention My Name", for the only song I knew of him at that time, " Black Day In July". I got hooked , song after song. I taught to myself, this is what real music is supposed to be. And I have never turned back. Thanks Gord, for helping me thru life, with your music. A loyal fan always!!!!!!!!!
Welcome aboard. I doubt that anybody will try to stomp you for info. Most of us are in the same boat as you!
Are you, by chance, a guitar player?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #1304
Yves S.

Just one favorite 'eh? I don't think it's possible (at least for me). So I'll arrange my top 5 in no particular order. Carefree Highway, If you could read my mind, Sundown, The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Cotton Jenny. Ok, now all you deep thinkers and "superfans" are going to rail on me for choosing the biggest hits. Oh well, I like what I like...and I can't list another 15 songs or this post would be lengthy and boring. I recently returned back from the middle east while serving with the USAF. I was playing Gord on the computer and a couple of the young guys walked in and started bugging "Pops" about what he was listening to. I played the first 3 on my list and instantly converted a few new fans. Thats the power of this great songwriter. The ability to reach every age group by great lyrics and catchy tunes. My teenage kids have always enjoyed GL (of course they had to listen while I drove the car, ha,ha,ha). I'm going to my first GL concert this year and can't wait! Hopefully I'll post a first timers reaction to the experience. Thanks all for putting up with this fan. JGT from MI, USA
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #1305
JGT

Just one favorite 'eh? I don't think it's possible (at least for me). So I'll arrange my top 5 in no particular order. Carefree Highway, If you could read my mind, Sundown, The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Cotton Jenny. Ok, now all you deep thinkers and "superfans" are going to rail on me for choosing the biggest hits. Oh well, I like what I like...and I can't list another 15 songs or this post would be lengthy and boring. I recently returned back from the middle east while serving with the USAF. I was playing Gord on the computer and a couple of the young guys walked in and started bugging "Pops" about what he was listening to. I played the first 3 on my list and instantly converted a few new fans. Thats the power of this great songwriter. The ability to reach every age group by great lyrics and catchy tunes. My teenage kids have always enjoyed GL (of course they had to listen while I drove the car, ha,ha,ha). I'm going to my first GL concert this year and can't wait! Hopefully I'll post a first timers reaction to the experience. Thanks all for putting up with this fan. JGT from MI, USA
JGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #1306
GoofyGurl

If having to choose a favorite, it would have to be "Tattoo" from "Salute".
The melody is so beautiful, and it really shows Gord at the peak of his voice. Listen to the long phrases
he sings on the verses.
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #1307
Kelly Davis

If having to choose a favorite, it would have to be "Tattoo" from "Salute".
The melody is so beautiful, and it really shows Gord at the peak of his voice. Listen to the long phrases
he sings on the verses.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #1308
Yuri

As many of you have stated, a favorite GL song is just too hard to pin down. But one that haunts me is, and I'm not sure I have the title right, but the oft repeated line "I heard you talking in your sleep..." is the one I would pick if I had to. It used to take me to my knees every time I heard it, back when I was going through a rough patch.

Besides the GL-ness of it, one thing that I thoroughly enjoy about this song is the men's chorus in the background. I'm just fascinated by them.

Is there someone else out there that knows what I'm talking about...
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #1309

As many of you have stated, a favorite GL song is just too hard to pin down. But one that haunts me is, and I'm not sure I have the title right, but the oft repeated line "I heard you talking in your sleep..." is the one I would pick if I had to. It used to take me to my knees every time I heard it, back when I was going through a rough patch.

Besides the GL-ness of it, one thing that I thoroughly enjoy about this song is the men's chorus in the background. I'm just fascinated by them.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #1310
ponyman

Hard to pick just one...it changes from day to day but right now I would say my favorite is
"If You Could Read My Mind". Just a beautiful, perfect song.
ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #1311
lynnfromgeorgia

Hard to pick just one...it changes from day to day but right now I would say my favorite is
"If You Could Read My Mind". Just a beautiful, perfect song.
lynnfromgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #1312

Goodness, I just signed up and started reading this thread... 16 pages? I only got through two. Anyway, I hope I'm not copying anybody else's thought, but I've always loved "Pussywillows and Cattails" because of the haunting orchestral background. It's sort of similar to my favorite Elton John song, "Come Down in Time," which also has strings in the background that set such a distinctive mood.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #1313

Goodness, I just signed up and started reading this thread... 16 pages? I only got through two. Anyway, I hope I'm not copying anybody else's thought, but I've always loved "Pussywillows and Cattails" because of the haunting orchestral background. It's sort of similar to my favorite Elton John song, "Come Down in Time," which also has strings in the background that set such a distinctive mood.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #1314
Daylight Matty

I tried but just can't pick one. A few of my favorites are Ghosts of Cape Horn, Lavender, Song for a Winter's Night, Race Amoung the Ruins, Lazy Morning, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Softly, Affair on Eighth Avenue...I love them all!
Daylight Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #1315
Jennifer

Really my favorite often depends on my mood, but one of the first songs to come to mind when thinking of a favorite is Early Morning Rain, the original recording. His voice just soars!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #1316
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by 1010718:

Oh, that's a great song. It's called Talkin' In Your Sleep. According to Rick Haynes, the guys singing in the background are saying, "Take a potato... take a potato... take a potato...
I know, it doesn't make a bit of sense.

Does anyone else hear, "Take a potato"?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #1317
Daylight Matty

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
Really my favorite often depends on my mood, but one of the first songs to come to mind when thinking of a favorite is Early Morning Rain, the original recording. His voice just soars!
I agree Jen. It depends on my mood and Early Morning Rain is one of my favs too.
Daylight Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #1318
bendalttrrapa

My favorite song is - for more than 30 years -
'if you could read me mind'It helped me to get over my first love when he made an end to us being together. And still when I listen to this song the tears come into my eyes.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #1319
alma

My favorite song is - for more than 30 years -
'if you could read me mind'It helped me to get over my first love when he made an end to us being together. And still when I listen to this song the tears come into my eyes.
alma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #1320
cliftongord

Hmmm, just one?...that's almost impossible to do. 'Sit Down Young Stranger' has been living on my computer for months now, as well as 'Summer Side Of Life'....but i have a loyal fondness for 'The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald'. I got a swat on the rear for throwing a major meltdown in a store over an 8-track tape with that song on it. I was four. since then I have loved that song and Gord forever. I like 'Marie Christine' and 'Ghosts Of Cape Horn' as well. Something about the sea I guess. And in 1997 I was fortunate enough to see Gord in his first ever stop in Great Falls, Montana. It was a GREAT concert and even when he messed up during 'SDYS' it was still a great show....which is my best friend Brandi's favorite song but she quickly forgave him so please Gord come back to Montana!!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #1321
SundownKat

Hmmm, just one?...that's almost impossible to do. 'Sit Down Young Stranger' has been living on my computer for months now, as well as 'Summer Side Of Life'....but i have a loyal fondness for 'The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald'. I got a swat on the rear for throwing a major meltdown in a store over an 8-track tape with that song on it. I was four. since then I have loved that song and Gord forever. I like 'Marie Christine' and 'Ghosts Of Cape Horn' as well. Something about the sea I guess. And in 1997 I was fortunate enough to see Gord in his first ever stop in Great Falls, Montana. It was a GREAT concert and even when he messed up during 'SDYS' it was still a great show....which is my best friend Brandi's favorite song but she quickly forgave him so please Gord come back to Montana!!!!
SundownKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #1322
Barry Shanley

So many "favorite" songs to choose from, it just depends on the mood. I want to mention a top ten of mine that's on the Shadows album: Thank You For The Promises. I love the progressions.
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #1323
marc in maine

So many "favorite" songs to choose from, it just depends on the mood. I want to mention a top ten of mine that's on the Shadows album: Thank You For The Promises. I love the progressions.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #1324
Barry Shanley

Another honorable mention on the great Shadows album: The High Seas. I hum this one so much, people always think I,m hurt!
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #1325
marc in maine

Another honorable mention on the great Shadows album: The High Seas. I hum this one so much, people always think I,m hurt!
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote