banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
George

Hi everybody,

I've been frequenting this board for about 3 yrs now and have learned a lot from all or you (thanks!)

I am 31 now and have been a fan since my first Lightfoot show at Massey Hall about 5 yrs ago when I sat in the very front row, just off to the side. I walked away dying to get my hands on some lightfoot material (I had none at the time!) Since then, I've bought many cd's and a few collections including the box set (which is excellent...they all are actually). I've been to one other Lightfoot show and that was in '01 I think on his birthday if I'm not mistaken (Nov 11?) I didn't have tickets for the shows that were cancelled. I even bought an acoustic guitar 16 mnths ago to try and play some of Gord's songs! It's not easy starting from scratch but I'm pretty determined....I can play 'You'll still be needing me' to some extent (At the time, it's my favourite Gord song. I have a new favourite every few days.

Anyhow, I live in Toronto (sometimes I actually drive by his house to take a scenic short-cut - no I don't stalk the guy, I'm in Real Estate so I enjoy scenic drives, especially The Bridle Path area.) I'm wondering....do you all know eachother personally? or just know eachother by 'username'?

Also, do any of you plan on getting together before or after the show on Friday May 20th? I'd love to meet other Lightfoot fans (of my group of friends, only 1 other is a bit familiar with his music, so I don't get to talk about his music much)...

I'd love to meet some of you - you all seem to be ....very...humble - which I like.

BTW, my seats are RCG (Right Centre Gallery) Row B, seats 92 and 93. I saw some good seats on ebay if anyone is interested in those.

O.k., that's it for now - I'll check for any responses later - thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you.

RS Toronto
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Try just to get by

Hi everybody,

I've been frequenting this board for about 3 yrs now and have learned a lot from all or you (thanks!)

I am 31 now and have been a fan since my first Lightfoot show at Massey Hall about 5 yrs ago when I sat in the very front row, just off to the side. I walked away dying to get my hands on some lightfoot material (I had none at the time!) Since then, I've bought many cd's and a few collections including the box set (which is excellent...they all are actually). I've been to one other Lightfoot show and that was in '01 I think on his birthday if I'm not mistaken (Nov 11?) I didn't have tickets for the shows that were cancelled. I even bought an acoustic guitar 16 mnths ago to try and play some of Gord's songs! It's not easy starting from scratch but I'm pretty determined....I can play 'You'll still be needing me' to some extent (At the time, it's my favourite Gord song. I have a new favourite every few days.

Anyhow, I live in Toronto (sometimes I actually drive by his house to take a scenic short-cut - no I don't stalk the guy, I'm in Real Estate so I enjoy scenic drives, especially The Bridle Path area.) I'm wondering....do you all know eachother personally? or just know eachother by 'username'?

Also, do any of you plan on getting together before or after the show on Friday May 20th? I'd love to meet other Lightfoot fans (of my group of friends, only 1 other is a bit familiar with his music, so I don't get to talk about his music much)...

I'd love to meet some of you - you all seem to be ....very...humble - which I like.

BTW, my seats are RCG (Right Centre Gallery) Row B, seats 92 and 93. I saw some good seats on ebay if anyone is interested in those.

O.k., that's it for now - I'll check for any responses later - thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you.

RS Toronto
Try just to get by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
charlene

Many of us have met many times over the years..in many places...sometimes for Lightfoot shows and sometimes to just get together. There will be a lot of people coming into Toronto for the Massey series. I'm sure in the next month or two there will be plans for get togethers over the course of several days while the concerts are on. I'm sure some folks will be planning all kinds of tourist things, possibly trips to Orillia and Niagara Falls. There may be jam sessions set up so the pickers/players and singers can wow us with their talent. Stay tuned and in keep in touch....it is always great to meet new fans of Lightfoot!
Char
Whitby
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
charlene

Many of us have met many times over the years..in many places...sometimes for Lightfoot shows and sometimes to just get together. There will be a lot of people coming into Toronto for the Massey series. I'm sure in the next month or two there will be plans for get togethers over the course of several days while the concerts are on. I'm sure some folks will be planning all kinds of tourist things, possibly trips to Orillia and Niagara Falls. There may be jam sessions set up so the pickers/players and singers can wow us with their talent. Stay tuned and in keep in touch....it is always great to meet new fans of Lightfoot!
Char
Whitby
Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

so the reason i couldnt get a decent Massey ticket is cos non-GL-loving-Ebayers were buying them up, eh? agh, this laissez faire economy stuff has never sat well with me, so be it, so be it

welcome, welcome...Still Be Needing Me is a top ten-er for me...it jumped right outta that box set and slapped me in the face, just like a scorned ex would

char and i are the only ones who live near the city where GL dwells, oddly enough, so most of our posts alienate the others but most are more than tolerant ...again, oddly enough the only guy from GL's hometown actually lives thousands of miles away and hardly speaks any English (converted to Swedish tongue, i believe )...if you've been lurking that long you must already know this is an incredibly wonderful but often very odd place, cheers and enjoy the show
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
jj

so the reason i couldnt get a decent Massey ticket is cos non-GL-loving-Ebayers were buying them up, eh? agh, this laissez faire economy stuff has never sat well with me, so be it, so be it

welcome, welcome...Still Be Needing Me is a top ten-er for me...it jumped right outta that box set and slapped me in the face, just like a scorned ex would

char and i are the only ones who live near the city where GL dwells, oddly enough, so most of our posts alienate the others but most are more than tolerant ...again, oddly enough the only guy from GL's hometown actually lives thousands of miles away and hardly speaks any English (converted to Swedish tongue, i believe )...if you've been lurking that long you must already know this is an incredibly wonderful but often very odd place, cheers and enjoy the show
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Gord

Um correction! I live in Brantford an hour away from Toronto
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
Gord

Um correction! I live in Brantford an hour away from Toronto
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
charlene

an hour? with the o.p.p. chasing you for doing 150k on the qew??
lol
Brantford to Toronto city core is just over 60 miles but on a good day is about a 90 minute hike! blame hamilton and burlington for getting in the way of a good drive! JJ takes at least an hour from work near the Don Jail to get just east of Milton I think. A good drive in from Whitby (32 miles)is about 40 minutes.....with DVP traffic it can be around an hour sometimes.
altogether this means there are too many cars on the roads when we have somewhere important to go to in Toronto!
lol
which is why i take the GO train!! 45 minutes of quiet, no traffic and lovely scenery in comfy surroundings....very nice!
Hey Gord - can you pick me up at Union Station on May 18 around 5???
lol
Char
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
charlene

an hour? with the o.p.p. chasing you for doing 150k on the qew??
lol
Brantford to Toronto city core is just over 60 miles but on a good day is about a 90 minute hike! blame hamilton and burlington for getting in the way of a good drive! JJ takes at least an hour from work near the Don Jail to get just east of Milton I think. A good drive in from Whitby (32 miles)is about 40 minutes.....with DVP traffic it can be around an hour sometimes.
altogether this means there are too many cars on the roads when we have somewhere important to go to in Toronto!
lol
which is why i take the GO train!! 45 minutes of quiet, no traffic and lovely scenery in comfy surroundings....very nice!
Hey Gord - can you pick me up at Union Station on May 18 around 5???
lol
Char
Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
redheart

Hi there, I'm just newly registered but I have been here before many times. I was born about 10 kms from Orillia and still live in the area. I have been listening to Gord's music for many years and plan on seeing him a few times this year. I saw him in 2001 (I think) at Massey Hall (I took my mom who fostered my interest in Gord and who, BTW saw him in '65 or '66 in Toronto when he was playing the coffeehouses)Anyhow I look forward to talking with all of you soon.

Kevin Barrie
redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 AM   #12
StingRay

Hi there, I'm just newly registered but I have been here before many times. I was born about 10 kms from Orillia and still live in the area. I have been listening to Gord's music for many years and plan on seeing him a few times this year. I saw him in 2001 (I think) at Massey Hall (I took my mom who fostered my interest in Gord and who, BTW saw him in '65 or '66 in Toronto when he was playing the coffeehouses)Anyhow I look forward to talking with all of you soon.

Kevin Barrie
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #13
Tyler

Now are these guys considered Newbies or Old Newbies since they've lurked for awhile? Anyhoo-welcome glad you came in from the cold. Gord's Birthday is Nov. 17. I haven't met anyone from here yet and I am waiting impatiently for May to come around so I can. I was up in Orillia a couple years ago great place it is beautiful there. I heard that there is the longest shore line or something like that in a town nearby Orillia, is that true Kevin?

[This message has been edited by brink (edited March 18, 2005).]
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #14
brink

Now are these guys considered Newbies or Old Newbies since they've lurked for awhile? Anyhoo-welcome glad you came in from the cold. Gord's Birthday is Nov. 17. I haven't met anyone from here yet and I am waiting impatiently for May to come around so I can. I was up in Orillia a couple years ago great place it is beautiful there. I heard that there is the longest shore line or something like that in a town nearby Orillia, is that true Kevin?

[This message has been edited by brink (edited March 18, 2005).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
Sheryl Klein

Heyyyy -- you'll be meeting ME in APRIL!! (And Rona, and Seahawk... and who else in Vegas, Baby?)

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited March 11, 2005).]
Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #16
Sheryl Klein

Heyyyy -- you'll be meeting ME in APRIL!! (And Rona, and Seahawk... and who else in Vegas, Baby?)

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited March 11, 2005).]
Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #17
charlene

Lake Huron has many islands, over 30,000 of them! As result, it also has the most shoreline of any lake . . . almost 4,000 miles! Manitoulin Island, in Canada, is the biggest island in the world, surrounded by freshwater. And if you like confusing word play, Manitoulin Island is the largest freshwater island in the world, which has the largest freshwater lake on an island in the world. That island the largest island, in a lake, on an island, in a lake, in the world!

Lake Huron which includes Georgian Bay : http://www.naturalretreat.com/index.cfm

Orillia is not far from Collingwood/Wasaga Beach/Midland and many of the waterfront towns along the east coast of Lake Huron and into Georgian Bay...all the way to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula/Tobermory and right around the shoreline of Georgian Bay are some beautiful beaches.Many inlets/islands and small towns such as Parry Sound (home of Bobby Orr),Killarney Park, Penetanguishene, are part of cottage country. http://encarta.msn.com/map_701510733/Georgian_Bay.html
click on the map to see all of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and their coasts.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #18
charlene

Lake Huron has many islands, over 30,000 of them! As result, it also has the most shoreline of any lake . . . almost 4,000 miles! Manitoulin Island, in Canada, is the biggest island in the world, surrounded by freshwater. And if you like confusing word play, Manitoulin Island is the largest freshwater island in the world, which has the largest freshwater lake on an island in the world. That island the largest island, in a lake, on an island, in a lake, in the world!

Lake Huron which includes Georgian Bay : http://www.naturalretreat.com/index.cfm

Orillia is not far from Collingwood/Wasaga Beach/Midland and many of the waterfront towns along the east coast of Lake Huron and into Georgian Bay...all the way to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula/Tobermory and right around the shoreline of Georgian Bay are some beautiful beaches.Many inlets/islands and small towns such as Parry Sound (home of Bobby Orr),Killarney Park, Penetanguishene, are part of cottage country. http://encarta.msn.com/map_701510733/Georgian_Bay.html
click on the map to see all of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and their coasts.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #19
redheart

Hi brink, and welcome from a another newbie. You are correct about the shoreline part. The town that you are referring to is Wasaga Beach, it has the longest freshwater beach in the world. It is about 10 minutes from my house. (Very busy in the summer)Thanks for the compliments about our area. I guess when you've been here for so long you take for granted how nice it is. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
StingRay

Hi brink, and welcome from a another newbie. You are correct about the shoreline part. The town that you are referring to is Wasaga Beach, it has the longest freshwater beach in the world. It is about 10 minutes from my house. (Very busy in the summer)Thanks for the compliments about our area. I guess when you've been here for so long you take for granted how nice it is. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #21
Tyler

quote:Originally posted by StingRay:

Yes, I think you probably do take it for granted. It is fantastic up there. I went to the Stephen Leacock museum, I had never heard of him it was very interesting. I live in Colorado and I am being bored with the mountains and the snow. Due to cabin fever I'm sure - been a long winter. Are you going to make any of the Massey concerts or the one in Orillia?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #22
brink

quote:Originally posted by StingRay:

Yes, I think you probably do take it for granted. It is fantastic up there. I went to the Stephen Leacock museum, I had never heard of him it was very interesting. I live in Colorado and I am being bored with the mountains and the snow. Due to cabin fever I'm sure - been a long winter. Are you going to make any of the Massey concerts or the one in Orillia?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #23
redheart

Hi brink, I'm going to try to make it to one of the Massey shows and to Orillia for sure. I'll be going again with my mom. She had a great time last time so I will have to take her again. It seems none of us are getting any younger.
Colorado must be a great place to live as well. Different than here, but someplace that I would love to see someday. I think that both of our areas are a paradise for people who enjoy the outdoors. Take care, talk to you soon.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #24
StingRay

Hi brink, I'm going to try to make it to one of the Massey shows and to Orillia for sure. I'll be going again with my mom. She had a great time last time so I will have to take her again. It seems none of us are getting any younger.
Colorado must be a great place to live as well. Different than here, but someplace that I would love to see someday. I think that both of our areas are a paradise for people who enjoy the outdoors. Take care, talk to you soon.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 AM   #25
StingRay

Something that I should mention too is that for those of you who are campers, Ontario is a fabulous place to come to for camping. (I'm an outdoors person, as you probably guessed from my previous post) We have a wonderful Provincial Parks system http://www.ontarioparks.com/
I love camping and made several trips last year in the area, including Awenda (near Penetanguishene), Bass Lake and Mara (both near Orillia). I have been to some others (mostly in the Near North Regions, last year I stayed closer to home as my father was ill.)For those of you who are coming to Ontario I have been to many of the Provincial Parks and can recommend them if you wish to camp while visiting the area.