banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
tiffany

Hey Gang:
I just got back from a site called,"Holly
wood Walk of Fame.I was very disappointed to learn that Gordon Lightfoot DOES NOT have a star
there.I think he deserves to have a star.What do you all think about it? How about we start a campaign to get him one? If you think this is a good idea,please give me some pointers on how we
can get a campaign started.

Here is the link to "Hollywood Walk of Fame".

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/walkoffame.htm

patybear
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
patybear

Hey Gang:
I just got back from a site called,"Holly
wood Walk of Fame.I was very disappointed to learn that Gordon Lightfoot DOES NOT have a star
there.I think he deserves to have a star.What do you all think about it? How about we start a campaign to get him one? If you think this is a good idea,please give me some pointers on how we

Here is the link to "Hollywood Walk of Fame".

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/walkoffame.htm

patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
SilverHeels

He has one in Toronto.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Ginny

Strange they don't have Harry Chapin or Bob Dylan, or is it? I see they have The Lone Ranger and also Jay Silverheels. Weren't they both the same guy? Maybe one of them would be kind enough to give up a spot. RJ.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
brink-

The Lone Ranger was Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels played Tonto.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
SilverHeels

P'haps those Hollywood stars are for actors only?
Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

From the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Website:

Nomination Procedures
Nominations are accepted by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce during a scheduled 60-day nomination period announced to Hollywood’s entertainment trade publications and print and broadcast media. Nomination of an individual or group must be approved by the Walk of Fame Committee, sometimes requiring several annual nominations before a nominee is selected to receive a star. The ten to fifteen most qualified artists nominated are eligible for a star to be installed in the Walk during the subsequent year. Those not selected for the current year are requested to resubmit for the following nomination period. The criteria for receiving a star consists of the following: professional achievement, longevity of five years or more, contributions to the community and the guarantee that the celebrity will attend the dedication ceremony if selected. Posthumous awards require a five-year waiting period. After the Walk of Fame Committee has made its selections, the Chamber’s Board of Directors also vote to approve the star and then for a final vote, the names are submitted to the City of Los Angeles’ Board of Public Works Department.

Hollywood citizens and tourists alike look forward to each dedication ceremony with eager anticipation.

To request an application to make a nomination send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Walk of Fame Committee, 7018 Hollywood Blvd., 2nd Floor, Hollywood, California, 90028.

Walk Of Fame Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I nominate someone for a Walk of Fame Star?
A: Click here for an application -- or you may send us a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce at 7018 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028

Q: Who can do the nominating?
A: Anyone, including a fan, can nominate a celebrity as long as the celebrity or his/her management is in agreement with the nomination. If there is no letter of agreement included from the celebrity or his/her representative, the committee will not accept the application.

Q: What is the cost of a Walk of Fame star ceremony?
A: $15,000 upon selection. The money is used to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as maintenance of the Walk of Fame.

Q: Can someone who is deceased be nominated?
A: Yes. One posthumous award is given each year.

Q: Can I nominate someone who doesn’t fit in any of the five categories?
A: No. The categories do not change and the nominee must be or have been active in the field of entertainment.

Q: How long after someone has been nominated will the ceremony take place?
A: The recipient has up to five years to schedule their ceremony. If it is not done within the five-year period, it will expire and an application must be resubmitted.

Q: Does the committee accept signatures/petitions/phone calls?
A: The committee does not accept signatures, phone calls, e-mails, or any form of petitions for a nomination. Only official Walk of Fame applications are accepted.

Q: Who are the members of the Walk of Fame selection committee?
A: Each of the five categories is represented by someone with expertise in that field.

Q: How often are stars voted in?
A: Stars are voted in once a year in June. An average of 20 stars are selected per year.

Q: If a nominee isn’t selected during the voting process, do I have to re-submit the application for the following year?
A: The application is effective for two years. If, after two years, the nominee is still not selected, the applicant can file a new application or send a letter requesting that the application be reinstated. Updates on the recipients are accepted and included in their file.

Q: When does the Committee meet?
A: The Committee meets once a year, in June.

Q: How can I find out if someone has a star on the Walk of Fame?
A: You can find star locations on the Walk of Fame Directory on this website.

Q: Can I attend a Walk of Fame ceremony?
A: Walk of Fame ceremonies are open to the public. There is a public viewing area set up for all to enjoy. Please be aware that ceremony dates are subject to change. Call the Walk of Fame information line (323-469-8311) or check our website for verification.

Q: How many nominations are submitted each year?
A: The committee receives an average of two hundred applications a year.

Q: What are the stars made of?
A: Terrazzo and brass.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Paty, I know that the nominated star must have done something for the local Hollywood community (not just be a star/singer/actor). You read all those requirements. I don't think Gord would be willing to do that just to get a star here. He has his where it counts to him -- in Canada. At this stage of the game, I don't think he'd want or care to have one elsewhere, even though we all feel he'd totally deserve it.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
patybear

Hey Gang:
I apologize for the orginal post.I found out(on my own)several hours later that Gord DOES have a star on Canada's Walk Of Fame.I guess I should have done a little more research BEFORE I posted the orginal message.All I can say is,"OPPS
and a great big I"M SORRY!".
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
Borderstone

First off,I'm 100% back at my regular library. Looks great in here! :D

Anyhow,yes it is quite insulting that Gordon and other notables don't have that star on the walk of fame. What's really insulting is that Ryan Seacrest (ugh! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) of all people has one and he's only been know for about 4 years!

Puh-leeze!!!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Sheryl

The Walk of Fame is pretty much a self-serving thing, Borderstone. You have to contribute something (tangible) to the Hollywood community AND be famous in some field (radio, TV, movies, etc.). Then you have to have someone nominate you (your P.R. agent, your mother, your best friend, anyone can do it), then go through the steps as Paty quoted above. Plenty of stars have been nominated, but, have refused to show up for one reason or another, so their stars have been shelved and are awaiting to go through the re-nomination process before they can be placed.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
charlene

I've read before that the Hollywood Star can be bought...
I thnk the 15 grand required to pay for a nomination is what is meant by 'doing something for the area."

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Answer...04/041023.html
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #13
Sheryl

No, the $15,000 isn't the "doing something." Like I said, it has to be something tangible for the community. It's a shame that Johnny-come-lately's like Ryan Seacrest with questionable talent (hey, he's just a pretty face and in a town like Hollywood, they're a dime a dozen) share the same hallowed sidewalk space as Sir Laurence Olivier, James Mason, Gregory Peck... etc., et al.,
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
Sydney Steve

Excellent info/insights from the local girl. Thanks Sheryl.
I have no basis for this opinion but I thought aside from anything else that as the proud Canadian he is , he would more likely prefer to have his star exclusively in his native country..??
Just a thought
Old 03-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
Big Jim

Well, if they offered me one, I'd have to tactfully decline. I don't think I'd like having people walk on me, spit on me, grind out cigarettes on me, their dogs pee on me, or their children spill God-knows-what on me. I concur with the Ryan Seacrest (who???) observations, and I note that my ISP news said that something called Destiny's Child, with Beyonce whoever in the group, was just given a star. I know she was in a recent movie, but one is all I know about. The rest of their "fame" I don't particularly care about. Let the dogs pee on Destiny's Child -- that's a form of destiny, isn't it? But if Seacrest and Destiny's Child can get a Hollywood star, maybe Pete "5 grand on them guys" Rose can get into Cooperstown. Anybody remember seeing the film clip of Marilyn Monroe putting her handprints in her Grauman's slab? My, my, my, my, my, my, my . . . . .!! --Sorry, got sidetracked a little there. As Poirot said, "Ze leetle gray cells zey go first, 'Astings, mon ami." Anyway, I'd like to see a Lightfoot star in Hollywood, but I doubt he really cares about it. There's a plaque or two on the Edmond Fitzgerald.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by patybear:
some pointers on how we
patybear
Consider it done!!!

facility to make that provided courtesy of:-
http://www.instantstars.com
John Fowles
OK why not!!

see:-
http://www.instantstars.com/star.php?str=GORDON LIGHTFOOT
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
SilverHeels

I want one!
LOL
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
charlene

The stars on the Canadian Walk of Fame will be moved and raised so they are visible all year around (can't see them during winter!) and not walked on probably. It will be announced in the fall what the new placements will be like...3 final designs have been chosen. All previous stars will be moved as well. Nominations for 2007 are being accepted. No money required from nominators or nominees.
http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/con...tscape.xml.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #19
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverHeels:
I want one!
LOL
Well All Right Bru.Although for the life of me I fail to see why you could not have made your own friggin star then as you
have your own web site you should by now know exactly how to access the file transfer protocol procedure to upload the
star to your site
absolutely no "blond" excuses accepted!!

But since you did not manage it yourself here is one for you.. Don't lose it!!

John Fowles

like a movie star Who gets burned in a three way script

Playing guitar doesn't make you a star anyway

As the morning stars grow dim They will find us in the shadows

[ April 04, 2006, 17:49: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 04-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #20
Iron

This is just my opinion,not meaning to offend anyone whatsoever,just how I feel about the walk of fame,Charts ,Billboard ratings etc...
Bunch of Hogwash here in the good ol US of A.Just a big corporate money play.They don't deserve the likes of Gordon,and I'd be willing to bet He could care less about all that Hoopla B.S. I know for sure it don't mean diddly squat to me.I like things just as they are.again,just my opinion,no offense intended.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #21
joveski

i want one too!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #22
Auburn Annie

Two points: they are sponsored by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, and are really more for the fans than the stars these days. I think a star on the Walk of Fame used to really mean something to stars (when they were stars and not just celebrities) but now there are so many awards and we're so aware of the publicity machine behind them that they've lost their luster.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #23
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by joveski:
i want one too!
Well All Right Mende.Although for the life of me I fail to see why you could not have made your own friggin star then found
some site to upload it to you are supposed to be learning the ways of the world whilst at University not spending all day
drinking!

OK yer tis

John Fowles
Warning if anyone thinks I am going to make over 1300 more friggin' stars they can think again!!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #24
charlene

the Canadian ones have the 'stars' signatures along with their names...
lol
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
<Anabolic Andy>

Charlene and john should have stars too. They are the best!!!!!! The best!!!!!!!