View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: How can Aussies get to see "Harry Tracy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
I would like to see Gord's performance in the movie "Harry Tracy", but I've never heard of it appearing in Australia's TV screenings or video libraries. I understand North American videos are not compatible with Australia's video equipment. Can anyone advise how we could get to see it? (I pose the same question re the IMAX documentary "Mysteries of the Great Lakes".)
Oh dea Oh drear Oh dear
Dave there is a common misunderstanding about video standards. It is true that without a digital video converter , one of which I have you cannot play a brit or aussie PAL VHS tape on an american/canadian NTSC (Never Twice Same Colour) VCR or tv set. But once the video has been digitised on for example a DVD it will play on just about any DVD player .
The only problem occurs if the DVD has been region coded. When I arrived in the USA in 2000 I found that all but one of the DVDs I brought with me played here OK. The exception was a fine video of Riverdance, which the stoopid Irish producers had quite unnecessarily coded as region2 Europe
Whilst it is possible to change a DVD player whether standalone or built into a computer from US region 1 to region 2 and I have done so there is limit of 5 changes that you can make.
I recently bought a fantastic Philips 5990 DVD player that can also play videos made to the divx format for which there is a USB port
Judt visible on the extreme right:-

I Ican now watch 700MB video files of complete movies acquired from torrents that are saved either on a USB hard drive or even on for example CF or SD media cards
Not only that but somebody found a way of using its built in setup program to make it region free!!
SoI can now use it to watch the 5 or 6 region 2 DVDs that I have accumulated!!!
So you should be able to buy a Harry Tracy DVD anywhere it is inherently region free
If I can (as I did before Christmas) buy an Aussie John Williamson DVD in Brisbane you can certainly do the reverse!!
Keep a watch on ebay
There is ONE sealed copy on offer at the moment in NSW at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harry-Tracy-Bruc...item414c00c35b

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-16-2010 at 11:46 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote