View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #19
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Thanks for the input.... I appreciate very much the thought you each put into your insightful words.

I guess for me to benefit the most from them, I would only impose by asking for the three of you who kindly input to go ahead and reduce without fear of offending me a couple Q's:

Silverheels: If I understand your straightforward approach, you have no problem with my occassional brief references to Gord's spiritual lyrics, typically citing compassion or kindness. I getcha.

Brink: I agree completely with what you wrote, but I am not sure if the very true things you spoke of specifically meant I should ponder changing my general demeamour on these two categories I ask of,as you did not say. Well said though !

Sydney: Again, especially as the others agreed with your words, well said and appreciated. But as I asked of Brink, acknowledging my agreement as well with the precepts you advanced, I am not sure if you would *enjoy* my posts (generally speaking) more if I modified my occassional small references to Gord's occassional religious or spiritual lyrics ?

As I think about Gord's spiritual facets in so far as he has shared them musically, which I never really have summarily done at one time, Gord does indeed have many songs that are quite nearly all-out prayer; albeit poeticly and musically deftly avoiding be preachy.

Good example is "Too Late For Prayin' " While at first glance or listen a new fan could think "oh man this is religious music", my take is that he is really NOT trying to do that; rather, he IMHO is taking one facet of his core feelings, and expressing it in the context of (first and foremost) - powerfully engaging MUSIC. Not preaching.

In my attempts to refer to small parts of these types of songs or lyrical snipets of others only when I find them germaine in my postings (typically replies), I am carefully trying to be respectful of the main point I read of the Gord general forum in keeping: Gord's engaging music.

And that, does in fact, include at times spiritual overtones and less frequently, all-out prayer put in context of beautiful music.

To reduce my question of your well-stated response, do you find my occassional- (I hope) references to such as straying from the most enjoyable aspects of this venue for most ? I think that your answer is simply "no", as I read your inclusion "Your feel about it the issue[sic] is much the same as mine" . Agree ?

Well, you three, whose postings I enjoy a lot, and have enjoyed considerable exchange with, were very considerate to respond to my request.

The quest here for me is simple, I am in no way posessed of looking for places to mention religion, as I am not that way in person. I feel religion is a very private subject, and highly volatile and presumptuous to speak of with authority as a lay person.

I just am in a quest for self improvement for reasons at this point I probably do not need to expand on. No beatin' the drum for this boy, just speaking my mind (such as it is LOL ) as seems fitting. - and enjoyable, I hope, increasingly.

Thanks to all 3 of you good people. And Silver - I am working on that mini-tome we spoke of : ) Gord rules !
- Geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote