View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
charlene

Default KRISTOFFERSON review - Australia

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ch...past-his-prime
Kris Kristofferson a real star, but past his prime
Patrick Shepherd
07:08, Oct 10 2019

"It felt good being in the company of a real star, definitely quality but also past their prime," Stuff's reviewer says of Kris Kristofferson performance in Christchurch on Wednesday.

"It felt good being in the company of a real star, definitely quality but also past their prime," Stuff's reviewer says of Kris Kristofferson performance in Christchurch on Wednesday.
Kris Kristofferson and the Strangers
Douglas Lilburn Auditorium
Christchurch Town Hall, October 9.

REVIEW: I am much more familiar with Kris Kristofferson's acting work than his music but there were plenty in this impressive and enthusiastic crowd who were obviously devotees.

The shouts of encouragement and the occasional brave dancers signalled that he was amongst friends who were ready to relive their younger days all over again.

That is a great thing to see from any performer and I doubt if any fans left the Christchurch Town Hall feeling anything but total admiration for this 83-year-old performer prepared to go back on the road to do it all again for his faithful followers.

Not being into country music puts me at a deficit before I even set foot in the place but I can still recognise a good gig when I'm in one and I have to say that the reception Kristofferson got from the sizeable crowd was warm and very appreciative.

I enjoyed it in the same way I did Bob Dylan – it felt good being in the company of a real star, definitely quality but also past their prime.

I found even the up-tempo numbers fairly ponderous and in need of an injection of energy, just about making it to the finish line.

The members of Merle Haggard's band the Strangers tried moving it forward, especially the vocalist/violinist who took on some of the heavier lifting vocally and provided some quicker ideas to the mix on the fiddle.

Kristofferson kept going for almost two hours, so value for money for sure, but the similitude of the songs, their delivery and lack of stylistic variation got a bit wearing.

Many would disagree strongly so that's where our opinions will part.

Kristofferson went through most of the songs he is known for, such as For the Good Times, Me and Bobby Magee and Help Me Make It Through the Night with his trademark cowboy drawl but there were plenty of other crowd favourites, such as Casey's Last Ride, Sunday Morning Coming Down and the old Haggard classic Okie from Muskogee.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote