View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater
Default Re: New here, but not to Gordons music

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
The T-Shirts and sketches sold outside Massey are not authorized by Lightfoot or EMP. Those folks show up at all kinds of venues around town.. He has never sold anything (perhaps some CD's a few years ago) at Massey. He doesn't want his fans beholden to purchase things. They are there for the music..
He's still smoking...and Barry smoked as well..
There's been much discussion about the changes in Lightfoots voice since the drinking stopped and the weight loss of the early 80's and the smoking and then in 2002 the abdominal hemorrage....plus the fact that he, like us has aged..
I don't think he will ever authorize a shirt or anything. The money isn't important to him either. Yes I knew Barry smoked also, so didn't a bunch of my friends who it helped move into the icky gloom. I never did. As for his voice, I know like anyone when you get old, you lose the high range and so has Gordon, ('Beautiful' sung differently in the last 8 years or so, is the main example) but he had the smoothness and long resonance of breath when he sang at the Sun. Haven't heard him lately, so I hope it all is still holding up. Waterbury concert is coming soon, but I can't make it unfortunately. I rather see him at Bushnel in Hartford. He has never come back to the Oakdale Theater since it has been renamed and rebuilt. As I told Barry and Gordon, the sound is real mushy when you put in a band, but is ok with only a singer and one instrument. Probably the same old sound equipment, but lousy acoustics in there now. I seen Jonatha Brooke at the Ridgefield in Ct. and the sound was pretty good there, she puts on a nice show with some excellent music, and with some fun chat with the audience. It isn't big, as it was an old high school auditorium, but would be nice to see him there. Hal Ketchum is going to be there this year, just might go to that. I am waiting for Brandi Carlile to come around also. Her The Story cd is excellent. I might have a long wait though, she is from Seattle and was in Boston, Mass. recently. You are in Toronto, so I guess you must see Gordon often, and know him and the guys also.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote