View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Gordon at Massey Hall 1974!

Since I posted the last message I have checked out the links contained in an earlier posting I made in his thread for downloading a set of files for this 1974 Massey bootleg
All are now dead and there is no currently seeded torrent available but I have rechecked the streaming uploads on sugarmegs and am pleasantly surprised because I had previously derided these as being far too low in quality judging by their audio sampling rate.
If you search for our hero on:-
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/
you will find an eclectic listing of some 32 odd items (which includes a few obvious duplications)
mostly they are complete concert bootlegs.
including the Massey 1974 listed twice

Each has setlist and listen links and right clickable download links for the complete concert as a single file in either wma or mp3 format
For example I had previously only downloaded the 1974 Massey as a wma and the file, alhough it sounded OK, was a mere 28.7MB for a running time of 1 hour 39 minutes and the sampling rate was derisively only about 40 KBPS as this analsys by mediainfo reveals

I have now downloaded the two 1974 listings as mp3s
the first mp3 is the same 1:39 and is a file of 92.6MB
and as the calculator on
http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/
reports:-
Storage Space Required - 92.8MB
This is the approximate amount of disk space s of 2 track requires at 128 kbps / 16 bits.
the mediainfo analysis confirmed that the rate at 131KBPS is of that order

I then downloaded the second offering which turned out to be a larger file (98.1MB)
because it is longer at 1:47:02 due to it starting with an inserted 8:32 long bonus track:-
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on NBC in 1965
"Johnny introduces Lightfoot as a rising star on the folk scene. Lightfoot performs Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues and Early Morning Rain"
Mediainfo analysed it as 128KBPS

and 128 is a very common base rate for mp3 file sharing
I have just played through the 1974 concert
and found myself thinking how topical the Yarmouth Castle ballad is after the South Korean ferry debacle
"And the captain in his lifeboat is a-leavin'"
and I have to say that the sound quality of thes่ 128KBPS mp3s is really pretty good (the usual recommendation for quality good enough for CD burning is 192 KBPS and many file sets were sampled at 256 or even the very highest 320, but then I did once burn one CD from 64 KBPS mp3s and it sounds to me quite acceptable.
The only problem with downloading mp3s from sugarmegs is that they are one continuous single file and longer than the maximum capacity of a blank CD so at the minimum the single file would require splitting into two CD chunks then it would be easy to burn two CDs that were both contnuous/gapless.
However you might prefer to split all songs into individual files then burn using Express Burn with the gap set to zero which will produce a CD that plays like a continuous one but allows each track to be selected
Either way splitting the complete file is easily done by opening it in the easy to use Audacity editing program

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote