View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
proudislander

I have just been checking out this site and came across some posting from April 2001. The discussion centred around Christian Island, and the comment made was that it was an Indian Reservation that was not very romantic. I am a resident of Beausoleil First Nation, located on Christian Island, yes, the Christian Island that Gord sings about. I must protest that Christian Island is a beautiful place to live. Our population is about 900 people on reserve. Our people are mainly Ojibwe, with some Pottowatami descent. We have our own churches, school, health and administration services. We have several restaurants, and one store. Christian Island is a mecca for tourism, as the beaches are unbelievable. We also have cottage areas on the island, as well as camping spots. Transportation is provided in most part by our vehicle ferry and/or passenger ferry to and from the mainland-Cedar Point (approx. 3 kilometers in distance). Christian Island or Chimnissing as we call it, is located in Southern Georgian Bay off of Lake Huron. Our nearest towns are Lafontaine, Penetanguishene, and Midland. I encourage everyone to check out "Chimnissing, or Beausoleil First Nation" on the web, if you are curious about our home. By the way, I dont believe that Gord has ever set foot on the Island, but we are proud of the song notheless. I grew up listening to Gordon Lightfoot, as my mother was a fan, and I would say he is one of my favourite artists. Thanks for hearing me out.
proudislander is offline   Reply With Quote